Week One: 5A #3 Lufkin at 6A #7 Longview (08/31)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

16 hours ago, AKA said:

Any of you Lobo posters play on the 2008 squad? Know anyone who did? Pass this on: 

Man, I can't believe it's been 10 years already that has passed by. People tend to hype up Haynes King but, I have yet to see a quarterback like Aaron Johnson who could literally change the game like he Joel Armstrong could. Aaron, was the "X" factor for us in those State Title runs. 

Again, it has been a DECADE and we have yet to see a quarterback come through like Aaron Johnson was. Haynes King, so far is the closest one by far, though. But, even he is miles and miles behind Johnson with the innovative, play making ability. 

Aaron won games with his legs. He definitely was an amazing leader, and one of (if not the) best we've ever had come through Longview High.

Don't think it's too fair to compare Haynes to him yet though. Completely different types of quarterbacks, and Haynes hasn't even started his junior season (when Aaron started his first season at the helm).

On 8/1/2018 at 7:33 AM, AKA said:

Think it's a coincidence they both wear the same number? 

Seems like its almost tradition that Longview QB's wear #10.

Jay Hurst, Carlin Freeman, Aaron Johnson, Bivins Caraway, Haynes King...

On 8/1/2018 at 4:21 AM, Quick said:

Man, I can't believe it's been 10 years already that has passed by. People tend to hype up Haynes King but, I have yet to see a quarterback like Aaron Johnson who could literally change the game like he Joel Armstrong could. Aaron, was the "X" factor for us in those State Title runs. 

Again, it has been a DECADE and we have yet to see a quarterback come through like Aaron Johnson was. Haynes King, so far is the closest one by far, though. But, even he is miles and miles behind Johnson with the innovative, play making ability. 

I love me some Aaron Johnson (grew up with em) and Joel Armstrong. Both are some of the best to wear a Lobo uniform.

With that said, those dudes were threats almost solely with their legs. Their arms weren't the most reliable or consistent which is why both ended up playing WR in college. Did they have games here and there where they were successful through the air? Sure....but not alot. But again, amazing players for sure. 

I don't think we can realistically compare HK to AJ or JA since Haynes doesn't have 2 years under his belt (yet)...but at the same grade level, he certainly triumphs those two. Leading your team to the 6A semis as a sophomore  (and scoring 88% of the TDs) ain't bad at all. 

Bivins Caraway never gets the credit he deserves in these convos either. He had a good shot at bringing a SC home to Longview in 2012 had it not been for his ACL tear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

I love me some Aaron Johnson (grew up with em) and Joel Armstrong. Both are some of the best to wear a Lobo uniform.

With that said, those dudes were threats almost solely with their legs. Their arms weren't the most reliable or consistent which is why both ended up playing WR in college. Did they have games here and there where they were successful through the air? Sure....but not alot. But again, amazing players for sure. 

I don't think we can realistically compare HK to AJ or JA since Haynes doesn't have 2 years under his belt (yet)...but at the same grade level, he certainly triumphs those two. Leading your team to the 6A semis as a sophomore  (and scoring 88% of the TDs) ain't bad at all. 

Bivins Caraway never gets the credit he deserves in these convos either. He had a good shot at bringing a SC home to Longview in 2012 had it not been for his ACL tear.

Yep, different players in different times, with different styles and strengths, playing in (somewhat) different offensive philosophies. 

How amazing it is to have the luxury of wondering which of these truly exceptional athletes are better or best. 

Lobo Nation is indeed blessed. 

Aaron Johnson was a receiver as a sophomore and had a huge catch on third down during that game against John Curtis while driving for the win. He was just a good overall athlete. Could play basketball too.

Dunno if he could throw like Haynes (not many can) but he could definitely make some magic with the football. That said, he was going against 4A competition which wasn't as strong outside of LT and a few other teams.

22 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Aaron Johnson was a receiver as a sophomore and had a huge catch on third down during that game against John Curtis while driving for the win. He was just a good overall athlete. 

It's funny that you bring this up.

I always thought that Aaron should've actually been a WR instead of QB. Not because AJ was bad or anything, but because Rayshone McGee could get the job done at QB.

Him and Carey Fortson outwide? Yikes...

We actually did that quite a bit in 2009. 

22 hours ago, TheFootballFan said:

Lobo football camp day 3.... lots if enthusiasm in the program ....over 100 future lobos out there! Let’s go Lobos!

Taj mahal coming tomorrow!!!

All kidding aside, TFF is actually right. A lot of freshmen coming into the program this fall...always great to have high participation numbers.

46 minutes ago, TheFootballFan said:

😊.... anyone hear of a transfer in the secondary? I have 😁

Yep, thanks to a UIL loophole, Bobby Taylor has been granted an extra year of high school eligibility. :woot: 

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

That 2012 would've been extremely special if he hadn't of gotten injured against Coppell. Obviously, I think we still would've lost to Coppell considering how dominated we were getting even prior to him getting hurt..and we still might have lost to Mesquite at Hanby...but there was definitely a wide gap between Division 1 and Division 2 that season (which both of those teams were clear D1 teams).

Doubt we lose to Horn that season. It would've been a struggle against Westlake in the end, but Bivins would've made enough plays to win it. And then, well, who knows what happens against Cedar Hill in the Semis. That defense was so good in 2012, it was on them that we even got to the Regional Round with the amount of injuries we had on the offensive side of things.

26 minutes ago, Hlion said:

Always kinda suprised that Lufkin is knowned as the pack but Longview actually has a wolf as a mascot. Panthers are a solitary animal and only meet during mating season.

I've never understood what Pack had to do with Panthers but I've gotten use to it.

Just fyi, Longview is actually nicknamed "wolf pack".