Week One: 5A #3 Lufkin at 6A #7 Longview (08/31)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

On 7/19/2018 at 5:41 AM, TheFootballFan said:

What’s that mean.... ?hmmmmm ... I think I know...... but I’m glad I voted for the “guy” who is president!😎😁

This explains a lot.

41 days until kickoff.

• LOL! 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan80 said:

I'm curious about how the defense will look this year. 

Lobos return only 3 starters on D, but I’m sure they will be ok by the time the playoffs start. Seems like Lister has been there forever. Offense returns 8. Should be loaded on O. 

• Thanks 1

The D line will be very good, I have no doubt about that. I'm worried a little about the secondary and such, but we'll see. Definitely will be the make it or break point for our team this season. No doubt our offense will be stellar with everyone coming back outside of Carter and Brown. But we'll go as far as our defense takes us.

• Like 1

Longview O actually returns a player at every single position.

HK at QB (who has 8 D1 offers already, latest from Arkansas)

Jessie Anderson (Arkansas Tech offer) and Keilyn Williams both return in the backfield.

Kamden Perry (3 D1 offers) and Jacob Johnson return in the WR corps.

All 5 OL are back: Marcus Williams (6 D1 offers: TCU commit), Gavin Roberts, Connor Cox, Marcus Harry and Kaylon Allen

Jaylin Brown did graduate at TE but Longview uses alot of 2 TE sets...the #2 TE the past two seasons has been Quay Randall who returns at TE. The offense is very stacked.

The defense doesn't look as flashy, on paper that is. But as usual, on paper never really tells the full story. Lister and Writt are 3 year returning starters. Those are your FULL timers returning. What on paper doesn't tell you is that players like Jaylon Allen (1 offer), Tainique Taylor, Jordan Wallace, Jared Reese and Jaydyn James-Rollins are players who aren't full time returning starters but saw a lot of playing time the past two seasons. Then the other 3 spots are being filled by great underclassmen, like DE/DT John Goram-Welch (6'4 260) who already has a D1 offer from Louisiana Tech. 

There is a reason why the D pushed the offense pretty hard throughout spring. I think the defense will surprise a lot of folks this year, especially the front 7. They may not be at their peak Week 1...but know that by October/November...they're going to be a problem.

• Like 2

Longview’s offense was awesome last year. I love the offense they ran once they added the passing game with King at QB. I streamed the game against Lufkin and watched a buncha highlights. Was very impressed. I love that power offense, especially when you can pass the ball. That will give these teams only used to seeing the spread fits. LGV should have one of the top units in the state with all the returning starters. This could be the year! I’m definitely a Lobo fan this season. I think ETX is going to make some noise this year. LGV, Marshall, and Lufkin should all be contenders. 

The games I saw Carter was a big piece. He will be missed. Dude was a freak athlete. Anybody coming up with his size and athleticism?

4 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

The games I saw Carter was a big piece. He will be missed. Dude was a freak athlete.

Carter was no doubt one of our best guys we had last season. Whether it was on the field or off, he will be missed. Brown not being back, I also think will be a huge hole we have to fill. I mean you don't just replace a guy who set pretty much every receiving record we had at Longview. So there's no question we'll have to find guys to fill their shoes. But I think we'll find some and be find. Haynes is underrated at being able to move the ball with his legs when needed. Perry being back will be huge for us. Randall should be strong at TE. Having a health Jessie back in the backfield will be our biggest addition IMO. Meredith coming up to varsity as a sophomore, while early on I don't think will get a lot of touches, will be a nice addition in the later parts of the season.

I'm going for quality over quantity in this one.  This is basically a Longview thread anyway . Most Lufkin folks know not to get into something like this too deep. We already know what the intensity and now the media promotion of this game will be before hand. It is always tough in Longview and a struggle for anyone that comes in there to play, no matter how good or ranked they are supposed to be. Lobo Stadium is a true home-field advantage for them. See you on game day and see what happens. Thankful it's going to be a little bit later start time now, it will be cooler.

• Like 2