Week One: 5A #3 Lufkin at 6A #7 Longview (08/31)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

10 hours ago, Pack007 said:

So, you think it will be a blowout? 

Where did I say it would be a blow out? I’ve already gone on record on multiple boards (and Twitter now since it seems like people want to us my stuff as motivation) that I think it’ll be close in the first half and then we’ll pull away in the second half after adjustments are made.

I think Lufkin is going to be very good, but I don’t think coming out they’re going to be as good as they will be in November. I think our coaching staff is better, I think our offense is better and I think our special teams will be better. 

11 hours ago, allstate4 said:

I don't have a problem with you saying Haynes is better than thomas man but all the stuff you have said is void basically you say your defense is better i hope so because our rb ran all over yall last year at sfa. Idk if you dont know but year in and year out just like longview we have div 1 rbs coming from lufkin so yeah not worried about our rb situation we know What we have on offense one of the best lines in east texas a veteran qb and studs a wrs 1 that is div 1 with offers from Arkansas. So guess what i think we will be fine an offense racked up over 400+ yards against yalls defense last year which doesnt have 9 starters from last year. Then we have the best dline in the state no question yall scored 33 pts last year 14 came off a muffed punt and a blocked put yall had 381 yards total offense and i bet 2/3 of that came in the first half. Bro nothing has change on our defense and yalls offense hasnt change so thats a push the fact that yalls defense has only 3 starters coming back and we have most of our offense coming back im taking lufkin stop trying to act like you have the answers for everything its getting old.

Where on earth did I say that? No where.

You're hoping that because we don't return a lot of starters that our defense will some how not be able to stop your offense. We might not have many starters coming back but many of these guys saw action last season. I am more than confident in our D line to force Thomas into making enough mistakes that will give us the chance to win.

Brag about D1 offers all you want. We've faced more teams over the last decade with twice as many D1 commits and offers as Lufkin has right now, and we still beat them.

I'm not going to go into last year's game other than to talk about how Phillips was your entire offense. 2/3rds of our offense did not come in the first half, especially considering we had three freaking touchdowns in the 2nd half. We moved the ball just as much as y'all did. We missed a field goal that would've given us points. We threw one interception that gave you points at the start of the 2nd half. And we had another one intercepted due to Carter not coming back to the ball in the wind that would've been a clear touchdown. Not to mention we missed two extra points that also would've given us more points.

Considering almost all of our special teams guys are coming back, and knowing how much we work on them, I don't think it's a stretch to say I believe our special teams will once again be much better (even with Kessler gone, Martin is an extremely good kicker). Our guys that blocked punts...are back. I hope your punt returner is back too so he can drop another punt and give us another touchdown.

2 hours ago, Hlion said:

How am I trolling ? I picked Longview cause I am always a fan. 2nd ,the posters imo are much better,  3rd Longview is just better however, this is probably the best rivalry in East Texas. I could do a open cheerleading session like football fan with every single post.

I never said in this thread you were doing it. You’ve done it in the past. 

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Where did I say it would be a blow out? I’ve already gone on record on multiple boards (and Twitter now since it seems like people want to us my stuff as motivation) that I think it’ll be close in the first half and then we’ll pull away in the second half after adjustments are made.

I think Lufkin is going to be very good, but I don’t think coming out they’re going to be as good as they will be in November. I think our coaching staff is better, I think our offense is better and I think our special teams will be better. 

Which means it will be a blowout if y’all pull away in the second half. Not trying to start something, just asking. I won’t have a problem if things happen similar to last year. We lost in lv and went on to make a run in the playoffs. However, Do i see this game being a blowout? No. I honestly think we’ll win, if like i stated  earlier the defense comes to play and keeps the game close for our offense to take over. Also if we’re healthy considering who could be out. You don’t think he’s good......i understand it. I do. I honestly don’t think King is as good as some on here say. Not taking a shot, he just didn’t show me that in December. Thomas doesn’t have to throw for 200 yards to beat lv imo. Not making mistakes and playing well enough to win is what we’ll need. I think we’ll bring a very good ground game to lobo stadium too. The guys we’ll have in the backfield are talented like Phillips. In addition, we’ll have a TE this season to help with blocking and the pass game. Coaching wise, you’re probably right. King has proven he’s better than Quick. However, Quick has won games over him. Outlaw owned King when he was a HC and assistant i believe, but he was still able to get a few wins on him. I just think it’s going to be a close game and the pack pulling it out. Special teams will have to be a lot better than in December and of course we’ll have to deal with the hometown refs, but i have confidence that we’ll get it done. If I’m wrong, I’ll eat my crow. Y’all are supposed to win regardless. Highly ranked 6A Longview and we’re playing on the road. You said that y’all are 62-4 under king there. That’s tough....we should be the underdogs. 

4 minutes ago, Hlion said:

Ok you can say the same thing about yourself. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean one is trolling.

Again, when did i say you were trolling in here? And i never cared about it. What you did in the past, didn’t bother me. I’m just stating facts. 

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Where on earth did I say that? No where.

You're hoping that because we don't return a lot of starters that our defense will some how not be able to stop your offense. We might not have many starters coming back but many of these guys saw action last season. I am more than confident in our D line to force Thomas into making enough mistakes that will give us the chance to win.

Brag about D1 offers all you want. We've faced more teams over the last decade with twice as many D1 commits and offers as Lufkin has right now, and we still beat them.

I'm not going to go into last year's game other than to talk about how Phillips was your entire offense. 2/3rds of our offense did not come in the first half, especially considering we had three freaking touchdowns in the 2nd half. We moved the ball just as much as y'all did. We missed a field goal that would've given us points. We threw one interception that gave you points at the start of the 2nd half. And we had another one intercepted due to Carter not coming back to the ball in the wind that would've been a clear touchdown. Not to mention we missed two extra points that also would've given us more points.

Considering almost all of our special teams guys are coming back, and knowing how much we work on them, I don't think it's a stretch to say I believe our special teams will once again be much better (even with Kessler gone, Martin is an extremely good kicker). Our guys that blocked punts...are back. I hope your punt returner is back too so he can drop another punt and give us another touchdown.

You talk about the Longview d-line, which i agree is talented and I’m hoping our boys on the offensive line can play well against. But what about the Lufkin dline going against Hayden? We have three guys with d1 offers. This isn’t that Arkansas team from years with the huge defense line coming to lobo. These guys are much better imo. I’m not just saying this because i’m a homer too. I truly believe it. When is the last time y’all went against a defensive line like this? Y’all jump up about king, but the kid did make several mistakes last season. Not just in our game during the playoffs. But whatever, I guess we’ll see in late August. 

6 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

When is the last time y’all went against a defensive line like this?

In our last game against Waco Midway.

Or in our 3rd to last game against Klein Collins.

And for what it's worth, I wasn't talking about North Little Rock when I was talking about teams with multiple D1 offers. I had forgotten about them, but that just adds to it.

33 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I honestly don’t think King is as good as some on here say. Not taking a shot, he just didn’t show me that in December.

Coaching wise, you’re probably right. King has proven he’s better than Quick.

I find this funny. Because without last year's unexpected playoff run, you were one of the most vocal about being over Quick. And how you didn't trust Quick to make the decisions to win games.

What about King's run last December did he "not show you enough?"

Only problem I had was his clock management toward the end against Midway. The fake punt against Midway and the onside kick against Midway....were not his calls. That was taken upon by the kicker himself to do those plays.

He took an extremely young team that was overcoming injury after injury after injury to the 6A State Semi Finals.

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I find this funny. Because without last year's unexpected playoff run, you were one of the most vocal about being over Quick. And how you didn't trust Quick to make the decisions to win games.

What about King's run last December did he "not show you enough?"

Only problem I had was his clock management toward the end against Midway. The fake punt against Midway and the onside kick against Midway....were not his calls. That was taken upon by the kicker himself to do those plays.

He took an extremely young team that was overcoming injury after injury after injury to the 6A State Semi Finals.

Not talking about his father. He’s good, but wasn’t impressed watching him play QB. At least because of the way wolf and others talked about him. I was expecting the next Tom Brady. He was good last season, but struggled in the playoffs. Maybe i should be giving more credit to the defenses. But a lot of those passes shouldn’t have been thrown when i watched him. As for Quick, he still has to show me that last season wasn’t a fluke and to continue to do what we did (and even more) this season. 

20 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

He was good last season, but struggled in the playoffs.

Struggled in the playoffs? What?

He went 58-94 for 872 yards, 14 touchdowns, 3 interceptions in the postseason last year....as a sophomore.

2 of the interception were against Lufkin. One was in a two minute drill in the pouring down rain against Waco Midway. 17 of his incompletions (of the 36 he had in the post season) were in the pouring down rain game against Midway...he had 19 in the other 4 games combined.

Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. He was a sophomore, and regardless...he's still in high school, he's going to make mistakes.

But under no circumstance could I say he struggled overall in the post season. We don't get anywhere near the 4th round without him.

His 2nd half against Lufkin was probably the worst he played in the post season...but he still stepped up when we needed him to and completed one of the most memorable passes of a Lobo playoff game in our history.

Well since everybody has thrown their prediction out there....guess it's my turn.

Let me start this by getting all of the disclaimers out of the way. 1st, Lufkin will be a good team in 2018 and a solid test for the Lobos. Lufkin should make a run in 5A DI and truly have good shot at winning it all this season. 2nd, my prediction assumes both teams make it out of fall practice and scrimmages 100% healthy.

With that being said, the blunt truth is that all things at this moment just about easily point to Longview winning this game. 

Probabilities: We've seen people speak about the records in this thread numerous times. Longview is 62-4 on the field at home in the John King era, which includes 6-0 vs Lufkin. I understand that anything can happen....But that alone tells you the probabilities of Lufkin winning this game is pretty low. Longview has a better coaching staff than Lufkin and the records have proven it.

Lufkin Offense vs Longview Defense: The 2000 yard rusher is gone for Lufkin and the Longview front 7 is expected to be good. That doesn't spell a bunch of success for Lufkin's running game. Sure, Lufkin will gain yardage on that outside pitch play they love doing but in between the tackles....hmm. I do think Lufkin will have good WRs. Not as good as last year with Jackson and Holt gone but pretty good to say the least. The issue for me is the QB position. I'm not sold at all on Thomas' arm specifically accuracy. The Longview secondary is thought to be the weakest link on the team but it may not matter if Thomas is throwing ducks on the run vs Longview's front 7. All in all, I expect the Longview defense to give up yardage at times but I don't expect them to give up as many scores as Lufkin's defense vs Longview's offense..which brings me to the next point..

Longview Offense vs Lufkin Defense: I'm a firm believer that there is only so much defense that you can play vs a good offense like Longview will field. That may be why Longview averaged over 30 vs this same Panther defense in both meetings last season. And that was with QB controversy (Game 1) and a beat up Longview offense (Game 2). There won't be any of that this time around. The fact of the matter is I see HK tossing several TD's with our backfield running for a few others. The biggest thing that may hurt the Panther defense is short fields...

Special Teams: For the ones picking Lufkin to win, did you all forget about Special Teams? This without a doubt is advantage for Longview once again. Keilyn Williams is back for Longview and he made Lufkin pay big time in both meetings last season. Williams (#23) averaged 45 yards per return vs Lufkin in those two meetings, which included a kick return for TD in Game 1 and the pivotal 50 yard return in Game 2 that set up the King to Perry score. You can have great defense and it still won't mean anything if special teams continue to put you in bad situations. Longview's leading punt/kick blocker Jephaniah Lister also returns.

Leadership and Experience: Pretty important as well...which Longview gets the edge in this department too. Nearly 50% of Longview's seniors are going into their 3rd season as varsity players. That's ridiculous. Longview is the more experienced team in this matchup for sure. 

I see this game being close for a half, something like a 21/24-14 lead for Longview going into the half. But Longview pulls away in the 2nd half. 

My prediction: A 45-27 victory for the Longview Lobos. 

Not a knock at Lufkin, overlooking, or underestimating them. Longview will simply just be that much better this early in the season. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Not talking about his father. He’s good, but wasn’t impressed watching him play QB. At least because of the way wolf and others talked about him. I was expecting the next Tom Brady. He was good last season, but struggled in the playoffs. Maybe i should be giving more credit to the defenses. But a lot of those passes shouldn’t have been thrown when i watched him. As for Quick, he still has to show me that last season wasn’t a fluke and to continue to do what we did (and even more) this season. 

You have to understand where us Lobo fans are coming from when we praise Haynes King. 

We've never had a stellar passing QB at Longview. We've never had a Reggie McNeal or Tyler Stubblefield who can absolutely throw a laser. Sure, we've had some great players over the years... Joel Armstrong was an absolute wizard running the option. Little Carlin Freeman was 5'9" of pure heart who made it happen. We've had guys who could move the ball, but we've never had such a pure passer in our history. Seeing throws Haynes makes is exciting. He had one in the first game against Lufkin (in garbage time, I know) that was right on the money. He dropped one in against Westbrook that was an absolute beauty. I think he threw 4 TDs against Klein Collins. 

Is he the next Tom Brady? Well, we don't know. But as a sophomore he showed promise and a skill for throwing that us Lobo fans have never seen. That's why we're so excited about him. 

42 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

He was good last season, but struggled in the playoffs. 

He was the main reason Longview even went to the semis. lol 

Struggled in the playoffs....good one! 

Image result for laughing gif

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

He was the main reason Longview even went to the semis. lol 

Struggled in the playoffs....good one! 

Image result for laughing gif

When i watched him, he struggled and made some bad decisions. Again, maybe I’m not giving enough credit to the defenses. But other than his last pass for a score and a few in the first half against us, some of those passes were bad. I get it, y’all think he’s the next coming of Tom Brady. 

5 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

When i watched him, he struggled and made some bad decisions. Again, maybe I’m not giving enough credit to the defenses. But other than his last pass for a score and a few in the first half against us, some of those passes were bad. I get it, y’all think he’s the next coming of Tom Brady. 

Again, we're excited because we've never had a great passer the way most other teams have lol  He probably has the most playoff TD passes in our history after just one year lol

He did throw 4TDs against Klein Collins, though. And threw 3 and ran for 1 against Lufkin. And threw 3 against Midway. Boy can THROW

39 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Struggled in the playoffs? What?

He went 58-94 for 872 yards, 14 touchdowns, 3 interceptions in the postseason last year....as a sophomore.

2 of the interception were against Lufkin. One was in a two minute drill in the pouring down rain against Waco Midway. 17 of his incompletions (of the 36 he had in the post season) were in the pouring down rain game against Midway...he had 19 in the other 4 games combined.

Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. He was a sophomore, and regardless...he's still in high school, he's going to make mistakes.

But under no circumstance could I say he struggled overall in the post season. We don't get anywhere near the 4th round without him.

His 2nd half against Lufkin was probably the worst he played in the post season...but he still stepped up when we needed him to and completed one of the most memorable passes of a Lobo playoff game in our history.

The dude has 8 D1 offers before he's even stepped foot on the field for his Jr year...8. He must be doing something right. 

The crazy thing is, we tried telling them both before the season last year and after game 1 that Haynes was the real deal. They tried to blow it off, saying it was only because of 1 lucky TD pass he threw in game 1 or whatever.

Nope. We knew for years he was going to be good. Watching him through MS, Freshmen year and spring ball going into 2017. Now look at him, a year removed from leading his team to the semis.. he's had another productive off-season of camps and combines, a great spring and has accumulated 8 offers. Dude is everything I said he'd be but I'll let folks continue to sleep on em.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He did throw 4TDs against Klein Collins, though. And threw 3 and ran for 1 against Lufkin. And threw 3 against Midway. Boy can THROW

He torched everyone!

Destroyed Westbrook, had fun with Jesuit, was extremely clutch vs Collins...we straight up don't win this game without Haynes, scored 4 of Longview's TD's vs Lufkin (with the AC TD catch called back btw) and put up 3 TDs in the rain vs Midway. What more do folks want from em. lol

And I tell ya what, he can throw but we underestimate his running ability. 

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I have a feeling that'll be highlighted more this upcoming season, even with all the weapons we already have in the back field.

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

He torched everyone!

Destroyed Westbrook, had fun with Jesuit, was extremely clutch vs Collins...we straight up don't win this game without Haynes, scored 4 of Longview's TD's vs Lufkin (with the AC TD catch called back btw) and put up 3 TDs in the rain vs Midway. What more do folks want from em. lol

“torched” that’s funny. He had a few good passes against us. Didn’t torch us. One of those scores was a wide open td. Y’all can say what you want, but that lobo running game helps him tremendously. Most defenses y’all play are mostly focus on that. I didn’t say the kid was trash. I said he’s not as good as you’ve made him out to be. I understand you don’t get to see many good or great Qbs come through lobo land, but when i watched him i wasn’t impressed with his decision making and several of the passes he threw. Not saying he’s a bad Qb. Just my opinion. Wish him all the best after our game and in college. I just didn’t see this greatness that you’ve talked about when i watched him. You can go on about it all you want, but i just didn’t see it. 

16 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Y’all can say what you want, but that lobo running game helps him tremendously.

Williams was and is a good back, but we did not having the typical Lobo rushing game we are use to last season. Anderson back will help a lot with that, Meredith will as well once he starts to get touches as a sophomore, but our typical Longview rushing attack was not there last season against anyone other than Lufkin (and Jesuit, but literally everyone was rushing against Jesuit).

We had literally zero rushing attack against Klein Collins. Without looking things up, I'm almost positive that was the first time we've ever won a playoff game without 100 yards rushing.