Ex Cowboy DeMarco Murray Retires

I know it started getting tougher on me when I turned 36.  I just couldn't do what I could at a younger age, and had to tone it down.  I wonder if it's worse on NFL players, but seem to withstand the grind.  I know running backs are usually washed up at 32 or 33, and it seems like he still had some good seasons left.  I just wonder if his knee injury was worse than what they thought.  

I also wondered if his injury factored into his retiring. I liked his running style while he was with us. It seemed to me I was in my early 40's when the wheels starting deflating. Playing fullcourt basketball with college and high school kids 4 days a week caught up. Seemed like overnight I could forget the fast break. I think all the rigors of training does keep us going longer but I firmly believe that the injuries wear and tear takes it toll quicker.

6 hours ago, spacegolfer said:

I also wondered if his injury factored into his retiring. I liked his running style while he was with us. It seemed to me I was in my early 40's when the wheels starting deflating. Playing fullcourt basketball with college and high school kids 4 days a week caught up. Seemed like overnight I could forget the fast break. I think all the rigors of training does keep us going longer but I firmly believe that the injuries wear and tear takes it toll quicker.

Your deep thought process faculties, I believe, were the first to go ... :woot:

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Murray a top 10 Cowboy RB of all time? 

I think he has to be since he's the #6 ranked in rushing.  Here's my ranking :  

1. Emmitt Smith III  2. Tony Dorsett 3. Don Perkins 4. Calvin Hill 5. Robert Newhouse 6. Daryl "Moose" Johnston  7. Walt Garrison 8. Herschel Walker (mainly because of the trade and kickoff returns) 9. DeMarco Murray 10*.  Ezekiel Elliott .  Zeke should break into the top 10 in rushing this year right now he sits at #12.  

• Like 1

Dan Reeves. Duane Thomas. Preston Pearson. Marion Barber. They might not have the numbers as those guys above but they had some impact in their time with the ‘Boys.

I understand now how Perkins and Hill’s numbers were so low. Landry had them at various times with Reeves, Garrison, Thomas. Man that’s a loaded backfield. 

22 hours ago, Stoney said:

Dan Reeves. Duane Thomas. Preston Pearson. Marion Barber. They might not have the numbers as those guys above but they had some impact in their time with the ‘Boys.

I understand now how Perkins and Hill’s numbers were so low. Landry had them at various times with Reeves, Garrison, Thomas. Man that’s a loaded backfield. 

I should have Preston ranked in the top 10.  While he isn't high on the rushing chart, he was crucial on third downs.  His game against the Rams in 1975 was tremendous.