Week 1: Gilmer Buckeyes @ Atlanta Rabbits - 8/31

H3llR4z0r

Gilmer Buckeyes @ Atlanta Rabbits  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start the season undefeated?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

Just now, Sportsguru02 said:

He was off the field for like 3 seconds 

They can't start the clock until the sub is in the field of play. The refs literally rolled their arms as soon as the sub crossed the line of scrimmage. It's not home cooking, it's the rules. 

8 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Really impressed with Atlanta QB. Gilmer dropped a potential interception, but QB has played good other than that. As far as Gilmer QB, I think Hurt is slightly better. Seems to have a little better touch on the deep pass. 

Atlanta gets ball to start 2nd half. If they score, it could get really crazy 

That was our WR that threw that near pick.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebaseball21 said:

I'm not at the game but listening on Radio; it seems that Gilmer Defense is much better than last year. Which is a good sign. Atlanta QB must be Just crazy Quick 

He's just elusive. He's got pretty good awareness, and makes all the right rotations and has some decent speed.

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Not sure why Atlanta didn't use their timeouts at the end. Those boys sure fought hard. Y'all have a good squad Buckeyes! I liked Hurt at QB the most, if you're wondering.

We all wondered the same then I thought you just played Gilmer to the limit. Take a good loss to a good team and get ready for Gladewater with what health you have.

22 minutes ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

#8 is a legit RB too and #5 is not very tall but super fast!

#5 is just a sophomore too. If he can put on Jawan size by senior year look out. Coaching staff said we are deep with a good seventh and eight grade coming up. Hope it all holds together.

Also our FG kicker is a freshman and all-around athlete. I've been hearing his name for three years now. Mostly in football and track which bodes well for us. 

Great game Buckeyes and good luck this season!

Ok, home from game.  So for a few observations:

1. Samples is the real deal. He made great plays with his feet, and was accurate passing.  He was the best player on the field tonight. 

2. Gilmer defense is improved, but still struggled in certain areas.  They didn't stop a screen pass the entire game.  And though they did a good job of bottling up the big back (22), they really struggled with the scat backs.  Will have to work on setting outside containment. 

3.  Gilmer had virtually no downfield passing game.  I don't know if the coaches don't trust the QBs or what, but the TD pass to Dodd was the only long pass really.   However, I do think Hurt is the better QB.  Seemed a little more accurate. 

4. Gilmer struggled to put the game away because a) they didn't push the ball downfield, and b) they never ran the QB. Not a single zone read play the entire game. Atlanta just crowded the line of scrimmage in the 4th quarter. Throw in a couple of dropped WR screens, and an inability to throw a screen pass to the RB, and Gilmer was very one dimensional in the 4th quarter.  They are going to have to run Hurt some, just to create the threat of running.  And they are going to have to push the ball downfield. 

Atlanta played their heir hearts out in the 4th quarter.  A lot of teams would have quit when they got down by 26.  Kudos to Atlanta for never giving up. 

Razor, you're a great Rabbit fan and a good poster on Smoaky.  Good luck to your Rabbits the rest of the season.