Week 1: Gilmer Buckeyes @ Atlanta Rabbits - 8/31

H3llR4z0r

Gilmer Buckeyes @ Atlanta Rabbits  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start the season undefeated?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

28 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Ok, home from game.  So for a few observations:

1. Samples is the real deal. He made great plays with his feet, and was accurate passing.  He was the best player on the field tonight. 

2. Gilmer defense is improved, but still struggled in certain areas.  They didn't stop a screen pass the entire game.  And though they did a good job of bottling up the big back (22), they really struggled with the scat backs.  Will have to work on setting outside containment. 

3.  Gilmer had virtually no downfield passing game.  I don't know if the coaches don't trust the QBs or what, but the TD pass to Dodd was the only long pass really.   However, I do think Hurt is the better QB.  Seemed a little more accurate. 

4. Gilmer struggled to put the game away because a) they didn't push the ball downfield, and b) they never ran the QB. Not a single zone read play the entire game. Atlanta just crowded the line of scrimmage in the 4th quarter. Throw in a couple of dropped WR screens, and an inability to throw a screen pass to the RB, and Gilmer was very one dimensional in the 4th quarter.  They are going to have to run Hurt some, just to create the threat of running.  And they are going to have to push the ball downfield. 

Atlanta played their heir hearts out in the 4th quarter.  A lot of teams would have quit when they got down by 26.  Kudos to Atlanta for never giving up. 

Razor, you're a great Rabbit fan and a good poster on Smoaky.  Good luck to your Rabbits the rest of the season. 

Very well written!  As a rabbit fan and dad of 2 players on the field tonite, always a good time when the buckeyes come to town!  And good luck to yall the rest of the year  i expect big things from yall, and just my opinion hurt is the best qb option def more athletic than camp, the webb kid is a machine!   Gilmer will def be a force in 4a

12 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Atlanta must not feel like this game is of grave importance (it really isn't), because there are 7 football players running around with instruments at the moment.

You won't like or agree with this but If a kid makes a COMMITMENT to do both activities, they do both activities. End of story. This isn't the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs. Game time reps are important for the end result of both the football team and the band.

It did appear our players were out of the locker room way too early...no need for them to be out of the locker room while the other school's band is marching.

14 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

You won't like or agree with this but If a kid makes a COMMITMENT to do both activities, they do both activities. End of story. This isn't the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs. Game time reps are important for the end result of both the football team and the band.

It did appear our players were out of the locker room way too early...no need for them to be out of the locker room while the other school's band is marching.

Yea I mean, in all actuality this game is just a pre-district game. It has no real meaning other than to better our team. I was just saying that because in an interview, Coach McClure said that if it was a big game, and King had a lot of carries, he would go to the locker room. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Ok, home from game.  So for a few observations:

1. Samples is the real deal. He made great plays with his feet, and was accurate passing.  He was the best player on the field tonight. 

2. Gilmer defense is improved, but still struggled in certain areas.  They didn't stop a screen pass the entire game.  And though they did a good job of bottling up the big back (22), they really struggled with the scat backs.  Will have to work on setting outside containment. 

3.  Gilmer had virtually no downfield passing game.  I don't know if the coaches don't trust the QBs or what, but the TD pass to Dodd was the only long pass really.   However, I do think Hurt is the better QB.  Seemed a little more accurate. 

4. Gilmer struggled to put the game away because a) they didn't push the ball downfield, and b) they never ran the QB. Not a single zone read play the entire game. Atlanta just crowded the line of scrimmage in the 4th quarter. Throw in a couple of dropped WR screens, and an inability to throw a screen pass to the RB, and Gilmer was very one dimensional in the 4th quarter.  They are going to have to run Hurt some, just to create the threat of running.  And they are going to have to push the ball downfield. 

Atlanta played their heir hearts out in the 4th quarter.  A lot of teams would have quit when they got down by 26.  Kudos to Atlanta for never giving up. 

Razor, you're a great Rabbit fan and a good poster on Smoaky.  Good luck to your Rabbits the rest of the season. 

Thanks a lot, casual. Hope you enjoyed the venue! We didn't have near as many people there as I anticipated. 

Pretty happy with the way our kids performed last night. Like you said, they never quit and played their hearts out. Down 20-0 at the end of the first, and down 47-21 near the end of the 3rd, it would be easy to give in. Me, as a fan, was almost certain that they'd lay down and it would get ugly. I was wrong.

Good luck to the Buckeyes in 4A! Y'all give 'em heck!

7 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Great game Atlanta thought this was their year to get us.  I hope we continue to play you guys for years to come.

I did too, in all honesty. Gilmer was definitely a more prepared team. I hope we can keep the game alive. I honestly hope our enrollment goes back up so we can get back in the 4A scene, but we will see.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:16 AM, H3llR4z0r said:

I did too, in all honesty. Gilmer was definitely a more prepared team. I hope we can keep the game alive. I honestly hope our enrollment goes back up so we can get back in the 4A scene, but we will see.

I doubt we ever go back up to 4A...unless UIL lowers the number or we all of the sudden get an influx of families with kids...ain't nothing here attracting people other than retirees to the area though.

Class sizes in the district at the middle school and lower only avg around 120 students.

Maybe once that interstate is completed through Atlanta there will be an influx of families...

I looked at the replay of the play before the half that stopped the clock.  I didn't see it in real time, but the Rabbit QB fumbled the ball out of bounds.  Smart play by him to stop the clock once he realized he wasn't going to get in.  I initially thought it was because one of our players lost his helmet on the play, but the clock would've started again once the substitution was made.

Kudos to Atlanta for not laying down.  They have a lot of heart.  This was a game of momentum for sure.  Atlanta's going to be a handful for any 3A team for sure.  Gotta shore up the run D, though, for a chance at a title.  The offense is definitely there, and will improve even more as the season goes on.

Gilmer looked REALLY good for 2 quarters, but they will have to put 4 quarters together from here on out.  I was a little disappointed with our clock management in the 4th.  We have a few things to clean up in order to live up to the hype.  Our defense, except against the screen pass, looked a lot better overall.

8 minutes ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

I agree with everything but they did stop the clock because of the Gilmer players helmet coming off. He has to get to the line of scrimmage then the refs blew the whistle.

I don't know what the official call was on the play, but I did see the Atlanta QB fumble the ball out of bounds on the video.  I thought what you said was right, and even told a couple of our fans who were questioning why the clock was stopped the same thing.  It doesn't matter.  It did makes things interesting.  It was definitely a game of momentum swings.