what's up with kids winning rings for summer sports?

TheShadowKnows

It depends on what they win.  If you win the Little League World Series, then I think you deserve a nice ring or trophy.  I've heard the prices of kids playing little league today, and $300-$600 a season is crazy.  Heck, when I first started playing it was $15, that was for the uniform rental, umpires, field maintenance, and trophies for whoever won the league.  I'm sure they can make a decent ring for around $50, but I don't see paying really big bucks for one.  It's not like the won the Super Bowl or World Series.  I played on two city Championship teams in little league, but we didn't play against other cities.  That was for All Star teams.  I was also on two All Star teams.  We were given $10 trophies then.  I did get to keep my All Star Jerseys, but my parents had to pay another $35 to play on those two teams.  I also played on two of East Texas first little league football teams that made it to the "Super Bowl".  We only lost one game in my two years of Little League football, and it was the 2nd Super Bowl to the Longview Hornets.  We received maybe $10 trophies if not less for the first one, and for losing the second.  We didn't receive a trophy for winning our league as we did in baseball.  I have a 1980 Columbus Clippers International League Championship replica ring that I paid $5 for.  I don't see why they can't have a ring that was similar.  I don't know how much it would cost to make, because I don't buy jewelry anymore.  You can buy a Jose Altuve Houston Astros replica ring for $33.99.  https://www.amazon.com/HOUSTON-ASTROS-REPLICA-silver-Altuve/dp/B079WHQ36L?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ&tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B079WHQ36L  .  If parents are paying as much as I've heard then if they win the highest tournament in their system, I don't have a problem with a ring.  I wouldn't even want a ribbon for coming in last.  

This getting a ring #### is out of control.  I will post a few of my soap-box comments about this topic for the summer reading enjoyment...and because it is just too dang hot to go outside to check the mail.

1. Friend of mine has a kid in TBall...T Ball....and they have an All Star team.  They then start posting on Facebook about helping to donate for their uniforms and trip for their tournament.  Uh, NO.

2. Travel "Select" teams that ask for donations at WalMart or have fundraisers at eating places.  These parents know what they are signing up for and then want to expect friends to pay for their vacation...I mean baseball/softball trip.

3. Rings....I have one friend whose kid is barely a teenager and he has probably 10-12 rings.  Some of these are for winning a tournament in Longview...just a tournament.  There are a few that were just bought to take a picture.  When I asked about being the champions....Oh no we didn't even win our pool.   WHAT and your kid got a ring??  I saw another friend post a picture of his kid with his runner-up T-ball ring that could almost fit on two fingers.  Ridiculous stuff....enough ranting now.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bulldogbacker said:

This getting a ring #### is out of control.  I will post a few of my soap-box comments about this topic for the summer reading enjoyment...and because it is just too dang hot to go outside to check the mail.

1. Friend of mine has a kid in TBall...T Ball....and they have an All Star team.  They then start posting on Facebook about helping to donate for their uniforms and trip for their tournament.  Uh, NO.

2. Travel "Select" teams that ask for donations at WalMart or have fundraisers at eating places.  These parents know what they are signing up for and then want to expect friends to pay for their vacation...I mean baseball/softball trip.

3. Rings....I have one friend whose kid is barely a teenager and he has probably 10-12 rings.  Some of these are for winning a tournament in Longview...just a tournament.  There are a few that were just bought to take a picture.  When I asked about being the champions....Oh no we didn't even win our pool.   WHAT and your kid got a ring??  I saw another friend post a picture of his kid with his runner-up T-ball ring that could almost fit on two fingers.  Ridiculous stuff....enough ranting now.

You can buy a bundle of those rings pretty cheap. A lot of those select tournaments have switched from trophies to rings, because they're cheaper.

4 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

You can buy a bundle of those rings pretty cheap. A lot of those select tournaments have switched from trophies to rings, because they're cheaper.

I'd like to know how much the rings cost vs. trophies today.  I know trophies were cheap in the 70's and 80's, but I don't know how much they are today.  I suppose I can see it with select tournaments, because I have a friend with kids that play, and geeze  they spend $2400 a year for his two sons to belong to two different teams, and they're 10 and 11.  

10 hours ago, bulldogbacker said:

Just ridiculous for rings at that age.  Many of the kids I know that play all the time seem to get bored with it and not enjoy it.  Many of the dads and moms are reliving their youth through them and are way more into it than the kids are.

This. 

14 hours ago, bulldogbacker said:

Just ridiculous for rings at that age.  Many of the kids I know that play all the time seem to get bored with it and not enjoy it.  Many of the dads and moms are reliving their youth through them and are way more into it than the kids are.

So so true 

There was a time when a State Championship meant something .... in just a quick search, I found 31 different baseball "State Championships" in Texas for ages 14-15 ... and that doesn't include the over-inflated select team "organizations" .... it's a joke

9 hours ago, threejs said:

Sometimes a little perspective is needed.

https://www.jostens.com/rings/sports_rings_jewelry_cd_popwarner.html

I do not like the idea of rings for babies... BUT... those pendant necklaces for the girls are super cute... I would recommend those if we ever won a state championship for my HS Athletic trainers instead of a ring 

Bulldogbacker is still upset that he rode the bench when he was in school @ Crockett. Monte Jack failed to purchase him a letterman's jacket due to the fact that he never saw the field. He would take a ring right now if someone would buy it for him :)

I don't care what you get for winning.  I am only concerned with what they are giving to the losers and also-rans these days.  If you win a tournament or a league and they hand out rings, that's great!  But this whole give em all something because they "tried" #### is getting ridiculous!

Over playing any sport isn't gonna get you in a college any quicker than not....Playing regular req sports is a good thing and builds school/town pride.....If you have a child that is starting to show above avg talent or interest in playing at the next level, then have them see a 1 on 1 trainer to teach them what they need to know to advance in their position. Utilize camps. Bottom line Let the kids have fun and you'll be surprised how they will eventually on their own step up and go be that kid you hope for....One thing I'm glad I did with my boys is we stayed away from the tournament chasing teams.....Did we play a few here and there through the years....yup....was some of the local kids better at Baseball than my kiddos while younger for a while....yup.....Are they now.....Nope.....As HS years have started to hit about 50% of those who where tournament and select ball guys don't even play baseball anymore. If a kid is forced soon enough they will rebel.....If they want it on their own.....Look the hell out!!!! Then do all you can to help them go in the right direction...Bottom line no matter what those BS sayings are about work over talent BS.....you still gonna have 95% of those kids who have natural abilities raw out perform well trained less abilities kids all day....Just a fact of life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, DoorMat said:

Bulldogbacker is still upset that he rode the bench when he was in school @ Crockett. Monte Jack failed to purchase him a letterman's jacket due to the fact that he never saw the field. He would take a ring right now if someone would buy it for him :)

Doormat is funny and might be the bench rider.  We got runner-up rings the year we lost state, at the time as an 18 year old and the emotion of the year....I thought it was cool.  Now I wish I didn't have it cause it just makes you wish it was gold.   Not sure if any schools do this now or not.

And to doormat...If it makes you feel better to demean or try to make fun of people then I will pray for you and feel a little sorry for you.  I didn't ride the bench very much and started most of the time, including the State championship game.   Get a life.