Tyler ISD high school name change

cujoforlife

On Monday we will find out if TISD changes the name of both high schools or one or none. 

I for one, will be happy when all of this is over with. One way are the other.

Monday at 6 pm and board members will vote on what they are going to do. 

There will be no time allowed for the public to weigh in.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/tyler-isd-board-sets-robert-e-lee-name-change-vote/article_99ef3424-9508-11e8-9a91-abed7cc5a22e.html

• Like 1

Wonder what it will be.... North Tyler HS and South Tyler HS?

That's about the most neutral names you can pick. 

At least until they play each other..... it would be the North Vs. South game.  No connotations with that title at all.  lmao.

• LOL! 1

24 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Wonder what it will be.... North Tyler HS and South Tyler HS?

That's about the most neutral names you can pick. 

At least until they play each other..... it would be the North Vs. South game.  No connotations with that title at all.  lmao.

Really 

3 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Really 

North Tyler High and South Tyler high are the ONLY names that wouldn't cause any division among the community.  A person's name.... no matter who it is would be seen as divisive.  

If anyone can find fault with geographical directional names they are LOOKING for something to complain about.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

North Tyler High and South Tyler high are the ONLY names that wouldn't cause any division among the community.  A person's name.... no matter who it is would be seen as divisive.  

If anyone can find fault with geographical directional names is LOOKING for something to complain about.

Unless they went with something "fancy" like the burbs.

Ya know, your "spring creek" or "stoney ridge" or something lol

All kidding aside, if they do change the name...Lee and JT gonna be scrambling to replace a bunch of new uniforms they just got.

Unless of course they don't put the new names into affect until the new/renovated schools open.

46 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Unless they went with something "fancy" like the burbs.

Ya know, your "spring creek" or "stoney ridge" or something lol

All kidding aside, if they do change the name...Lee and JT gonna be scrambling to replace a bunch of new uniforms they just got.

Unless of course they don't put the new names into affect until the new/renovated schools open.

That’s what they are thinking about doing. I added a link.

So if they change the schools names, when are they gonna change the name of the city. They city is named after the same person that the high school is named after. This is a slippery slope and if you look at history you can find fault with every person that has a city named after them.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

So if they change the schools names, when are they gonna change the name of the city. They city is named after the same person that the high school is named after. This is a slippery slope and if you look at history you can find fault with every person that has a city named after them.

Tisd only has control over the high schools not the city. It’s no slippery slope.  Statues have already been taken down. That was supposed to have been a slippery slope as while and it wasn’t. Same with gay marriage I’m tried of the slippery slope argument.

If TISD residents want the change, who is anyone on here to argue about it?

Just like Allen and their stadium...if they want to spend that money on their stadium (and voted to do so), what does it matter to the rest of the state.

• Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Hlion said:

Most of the people complaining do not read a history book. 

Actually, this is the complete opposite.

They know the history, which is why they want changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Tisd only has control over the high schools not the city. It’s no slippery slope.  Statues have already been taken down. That was supposed to have been a slippery slope as while and it wasn’t. Same with gay marriage I’m tried of the slippery slope argument.

Respectfully disagree, not in favor of statues down either!  When did we become so fragile?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, astrodog14 said:

Disagree again.."they really don't". Only identify with a certain interpretation of history.

We know the history of both people. We also knew that why statues were put up to begin with. You make call it southern pride and remembering, but we see it has racist plan and simple. We are never going to agree. So, you have a good day.

Secondly, the Students at are the ones that are really pushing for the chance, they are the ones that have to deal with it the most. 

I would let you happily explain the reason why you want to keep the name. To black and brown and some of the white students that want it changed. 

in conclusion, no matter what Robert E Lee stood for. After he was dead his name was used in a totally different way. The Daughters of the Confederacy had a big hand in a lot of it. With this i am done with the debate. 

On the what the name could be.

• Stinks 3

42 minutes ago, MuleSlicks said:

I don't have a dog in the fight either, but I watched the live stream and was puzzled in the end.  Seams they all have an opinion, but except for one are afraid to act on it.   Good luck Tyler, I was hoping you could come to a resolution.

This is the end of it.

• Mr. P changed the title to Tyler ISD high school name change