Weekly Pickem Announcement

Lobo97

49 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

If you want to change the format to include confidence picks that's your rat killing and I'm sure there are some that would prefer that format ... I can set up another pick-em for straight picks for those of us who prefer that format .... it already takes a loooooong time to get the results each week just doing straight picks, I can imagine how long it would take to get the results with the confidence format ....

The last game is Saturday night. I generally have the results posted Sunday afternoon. That's a loooong time? 

I also haven't said that I'm changing it. 

6 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

The last game is Saturday night. I generally have the results posted Sunday afternoon. That's a loooong time? 

I also haven't said that I'm changing it. 

Well there’s only one way to find out if everyone will like it and that’s to do it. So far I’ve seen at least 4 people on this page alone for it and only 1 against. Yes you might lose a few people because of the format, but you also might greatly increase the intrigue for the 75% that do stay in it. 

9 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I personally like the idea of the confidence picks, but it would have to be more than a simple vote to move forward with it. As it is, we have a good amount that participate in our pickem. I wouldn't want a good number to drop off bc they don't like the format. 

If I remember right, we always do straight picks with you and confidence picks on ESPN or something.  It's been that way for at least 5-6 years, so take that for what the value of that information is worth and nothing more :) 

• Thanks 2

After thinking about it, I will continue our pickem as a straight pick format as we've been doing. While I like the idea of the confidence picks, my concern is it will not generate enough participation. We generally have around 25, or so, participants for our weekly pickem. The confidence picks that we do for bowl season, generally garners around 10. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

After thinking about it, I will continue our pickem as a straight pick format as we've been doing. While I like the idea of the confidence picks, my concern is it will not generate enough participation. We generally have around 25, or so, participants for our weekly pickem. The confidence picks that we do for bowl season, generally garners around 10. 

The difference isn’t that people don’t like the bowl confidence points. It’s that people don’t go to ESPN to do it. They can make their picks on here on the weekly pick em and they like that. The bowl pickem will drastically increase if you are willing to let everyone list their picks and points in a comment instead of posting a link to ESPN. Just my two cents. 

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I am Mavgrad, and I appreciated be his decision 

I’m cool with it to, just thought it would be fun to spice it up a little bit. 

I do think you guys need to put your heads together about trying to take bowl season off of ESPN and just do it on here. I know it will be harder, but I think the participation will be much higher if it stays in this site. 

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m cool with it to, just thought it would be fun to spice it up a little bit. 

I do think you guys need to put your heads together about trying to take bowl season off of ESPN and just do it on here. I know it will be harder, but I think the participation will be much higher if it stays in this site. 

Since the bowl participation is already light anyway, then we may try that this year for that and see how it goes. 

3 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think you could do your 10 most interested matchups like normal, and then choose a really random FCS game. And whoever gets that game right gets an additional point or something. Kind of makes it fun and take a little risk.

Or everyone picks an upset that week. By upset I mean the spread has to be like 7+. If your upset happens you get extra points. Let’s say something like 1 point for 5 points your team got. So if say clemson is favored by 17 against wake forest, and wake forest wins, whoever picked wake forest would get an addition 3 points added to their win total. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Or everyone picks an upset that week. By upset I mean the spread has to be like 7+. If your upset happens you get extra points. Let’s say something like 1 point for 5 points your team got. So if say clemson is favored by 17 against wake forest, and wake forest wins, whoever picked wake forest would get an addition 3 points added to their win total. 

Yeah I like that. Makes it more interesting like March Madness.

39 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I like straight pick em.  Takes out the luck factor 

It’s not really about trying to add luck, it’s trying to add something new to something we’ve done for a while. An interesting wrinkle. Something To keep people motivated late in the year. 

I personally just want to see something rewarded for being able to accurately predict upsets. 10 games isn’t very many games. But let’s say you have a gut feeling that say Boston college beats Clemson, but it’s not in our list of games, I feel like if someone accurately can call that pretty big upset, they should get a little reward. It’s just adding a wrinkle to something fun we already do. Same old pickem and essentially the creame will still rise, just makes it a little more interesting late. Maybe between middle of the pack guys just looking for something to feel good about instead of monatony when you know you can’t realisticly win without going the opposite of the leaders just hoping luck falls your way. 

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I like straight pick em.  Takes out the luck factor 

same here ... if they do gum up the pick-ums with that kind of stuff, I will do one with just straight picks ... guess we will just have to wait and see if they change from the traditional straight picks format ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cats69 said:

I'm with you. I hate it.

So far it’s been literally mixed. About half and half. But if everyone is going to cry about it, not you Kirt, then by all means leave it the same. I just don’t understand what’s so complicated about picking an upset and getting points if you guess right. Just adding a tiny something to make it a little more interesting late in the year. But if majority hates it then leave it.