RETIREDFAN1

First Scrimmages...

August 17:

Pasadena First Baptist @ West Hardin 5 PM

Hull-Daisetta @ Colmesneil 6 PM

Grapeland @ Brook Hill 6 PM

Merryville, La. @ Evadale TBD

Trinity @ Lovelady TBD

Sabine Pass has no scrimmages listed on their schedule....Burkeville had no schedule listed.....

I’ll pick ‘em: 

1. Lovelady (strong D1 program dropping down should be pretty salty)

2. Grapeland . (Having a party over Tenaha moving up)

3. Evadale (my old buddy Reb ain’t gonna be happy with me)

4. West Hardin (I was tempted to take Colmesneil here but it would probably get me a reprimand) 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

#1 Grapeland 

#2 Lovelady 

#3 Evadale 

#4 West Hardin

Grapeland oline and dlines are huge. Alot of depth for the big boys also.. Something we haven't had in a long time. A couple of move ins help that out. 

• Like 3

What has happened to Burkeville? They were very good years ago and even won a state championship in 2001 (finalists in 2000). Alto  had them on the pre-district schedule in 2006 (70-0) and 2007 (74-0) and it was pretty ugly. I’m not sure they’ve been competitive in years. Anyone have any insight? Curious. 

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

What has happened to Burkeville? They were very good years ago and even won a state championship in 2001 (finalists in 2000). Alto  had them on the pre-district schedule in 2006 (70-0) and 2007 (74-0) and it was pretty ugly. I’m not sure they’ve been competitive in years. Anyone have any insight? Curious. 

Population decline? Newton? 

Thought they would be playing 6man by now. 

7 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Hurricanes Rita and Ike destroyed a lot of homes in that community. Many of those were of lower-income families with school-aged kids. Most of them weren’t insured well enough to rebuild in that area, so they ended up relocating elsewhere into low-income housing. Other communities in SE Texas were similarly affected. Deweyville has gone from a large 3A to 2A D1 over the last 10 years. The Sabine River flood of ‘16 and Hurricane Harvey in ‘17 wiped out a lot of homes down there. 

9 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ll pick ‘em: 

4. West Hardin (I was tempted to take Colmesneil here but it would probably get me a reprimand) 

NP blue.  Evadale lost their stud RB, and QB, who both started 3years.  Got another good RB coming back, Will Farr, but he doesn’t have the speed of Williamson who is going to Davidson in NC (just left Huntington thread, so I’ll say, Williamson was white, and Farr is black).  Lovelady should be stout, and Grapeland took us down in playoffs last year.  Rebels are iffy.  Could have a good year, could be bad.  Have to wait and see a couple of games.  Oilers should be good also, but I think we play in Evadale, so that’s a lock  :rofl:

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Hurricanes Rita and Ike destroyed a lot of homes in that community. Many of those were of lower-income families with school-aged kids. Most of them weren’t insured well enough to rebuild in that area, so they ended up relocating elsewhere into low-income housing. Other communities in SE Texas were similarly affected. Deweyville has gone from a large 3A to 2A D1 over the last 10 years. The Sabine River flood of ‘16 and Hurricane Harvey in ‘17 wiped out a lot of homes down there. 

That makes sense. Sad. 

11 hours ago, bigj said:

#1 Grapeland 

#2 Lovelady 

#3 Evadale 

#4 West Hardin

Grapeland oline and dlines are huge. Alot of depth for the big boys also.. Something we haven't had in a long time. A couple of move ins help that out. 

This concerns me bigj. Especially since those two areas are the biggest question marks for the Lions this year. We lost alot on the OL/DL last year but i bet we find a way to give you guys a decent game.😉

12 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ll pick ‘em: 

I like the way you think trueblue. We are thin in a few areas that concern me but i guess thats life with the number you have being 2A-D2. If we can stay healthy in those thin areas, i see us coming out on top, but Grapeland is going to be stronger than most people realize. 

http://etsn.fm/2018-football-preview-grapeland-sits-atop-district-12-2a-d-ii/

I was reading this today. One thing we lost was three oline men. But we gained three new ones and some extra ones. Out of the three I think the biggest being 6-4 367 the other two around 6-3 290. One thing we will be able to have is a really big oline and a  big dline. One way starters on both sides of the ball. I think thats huge at this level. We also added a very good wide receiver. He will help take the pressure off of BJ. 

Grapeland vs Brook Hill Scrimmage. 

Grapeland 5-2 in the scoring. 

Grapeland gave up one int for a td... Then we should of had a int  but it was bobbled then pop up and ran in for a td. Thats how Brook Hill scored there two. 

Grapeland first unit only did 20 plays scored twice and broke a few down to the red zone but ran out of plays each time.

First team D only let them past the 30 once and then they went 4 and out. 

Very pleased with how the D played during the fisrt scrimmage.  

One more thing. Brook hill from what i understand they have a few kids going D1 and they had that really good kid transfer in for Qb. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

Are y'all still in that 3-3-5?

I believe so. I think the dline is playing more in the gaps now. Were a lot bigger also. The nose is 6-4 367 and few of the other guys are around 290. We can have three guys taking up a lot of space now. 6-4 290 6-4 367 6-3 280. The new guys get after it and are big and hard to move. We have over 10 boys that are 250 and up that they are rotating in. I dont know how good brook hill supposed to be but thats the best our d has look starting off a year in a long time. 

1 hour ago, elifromlovelady said:

Winner of lovelady and grapeland will win district. Rest of district is god awful trash.  Other than ll and grapeland, the rest of the district should 4f, just play that one game.  I'm embarrassed to be in this district. Other than grapeland, We will beat the rest of the district opponents by at least 35 points EACH

I’ll admit things change from year to year, but since Lovelady lost by four to Grapeland last year, and the Sandies only beat Evadale by one, doesn’t appear Evadale is trash.  That is, unless you think Lovelady is even trashier.  Read’em and weep hoss.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/grapeland-sandies-(grapeland,tx)/football-fall-17/schedule.htm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I’ll admit things change from year to year, but since Lovelady lost by four to Grapeland last year, and the Sandies only beat Evadale by one, doesn’t appear Evadale is trash.  That is, unless you think Lovelady is even trashier.  Read’em and weep hoss.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/grapeland-sandies-(grapeland,tx)/football-fall-17/schedule.htm

Evadale has a little something to them...but the other 3....oh lord!

• Stinks 1

1 minute ago, SAWolfman said:

Evadale has a little something to them...but the other 3....oh lord!

No argument there, and we lost a lot to graduation, so we’re a little iffy this year.  Got some good young kids, but they can’t beat a good older kid lol.

No pumping them up this year. Even know this should be our best year in a long time. All the move ins and some of kids that didnt play last year and now decided to play. Its basically like having 11 back on either side of the ball. We also have the soph that can take to the house almost on ever play. If you dont double cover him he will. He got a lot of buzz from colleges this summer. Texas A&M supposed to offer him and a few others.  But were Grapeland we can have all the talent in the world and blow it. Thats why I was asking how good is Brook hill supposed to be. 

2 hours ago, bigj said:

No pumping them up this year. Even know this should be our best year in a long time. All the move ins and some of kids that didnt play last year and now decided to play. Its basically like having 11 back on either side of the ball. We also have the soph that can take to the house almost on ever play. If you dont double cover him he will. He got a lot of buzz from colleges this summer. Texas A&M supposed to offer him and a few others.  But were Grapeland we can have all the talent in the world and blow it. Thats why I was asking how good is Brook hill supposed to be. 

That, “all the talent in the world and blow it”, fits a lot of schools.  Especially in 2A, where good coaches are hard to come by.  It’s enough to make a fan need to wear a nightgard so he doesn’t grind his teeth down to nothing.  I was impressed with yalls QB/Receiver combination in last years playoff game.  With both back, should be an exciting year for the Sandies.

15 hours ago, REBgp said:

ok.....maybe evadale....but the others prove that too many teams make the playoffs.......should be district champs.....then (maybe) a committe to pick wild card teams....kinda similar to what they do in the ncaa basketball tournament.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1