EPIC BATTLE REMEMBERED: 1988 Lufkin Vs. Marshall

Mavchamp

MISD will be honoring the 1988 Maverick team this season for their 30th anniversary.  

Someone already posted the epic game when we beat Odessa Permian in non-district on another thread.

This was district game #2.

-------

Lufkin and Marshall were both state ranked.

Panthers took a double digit lead into the third Qtr.......until.... THE COMEBACK.

What a game. 

The Stadium actually shook.  Marshall has a concrete stadium....not aluminum.  

I don't want to overstate things..... I was young. 

But THIS was the night I fell in love with Texas High School Football.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

MISD will be honoring the 1988 Maverick team this season for their 30th anniversary.  

Someone already posted the epic game when we beat Odessa Permian in non-district on another thread.

-------

Panthers took a double digit lead into the third Qtr.......until.... THE COMEBACK.

What a game. 

Still my favorite game of the 88 season..that and finally beating Longview 

IMHO.... Jackie Robinson

5,208 career yards for the Mavs with back to back state title games in 2004 and 2005.

But most would probably say Odell Beckham.  

Some might say DD Turner.... since he's the only one that brought home the state championship.

Others could be Cameron Haller..... KD Johnson.  

But my vote would be Jackie.  

6 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

IMHO.... Jackie Robinson

5,208 career yards for the Mavs with back to back state title games in 2004 and 2005.

Some might say DD Turner.... since he's the only one that brought home the state championship.

Odell...JR was great..but Odell was magic, he got caught in a transition period at LSU and never got to show what he could have been IMO. 

If Jackie had played his Sophomore year.....  He likely would have had well over 6200 career yards for Marshall.

Not to mention....that may have been what we needed to push us over the hump to get into the playoffs in 2003 instead of sitting at home.  6-4 instead of 5-5 might have gotten us in.  Even if we would have lost in the first round.

Hindsight of course.  

But Jackie was a beast.  5200 yards in two seaons and basically taking Marshall to two title games on his legs is hard to ignore IMHO.

But yeah.... DD and Odell were special.  No doubt about it.

Dennis Parker transformed Maverick football when he came in and installed a passing attack in the early to mid 80's.  We were among the first teams in East Texas to become a "pass happy" program.

Has given us some outstanding QB's through the years.

Just off the top of by head....

Benny Valentine (1988 Quarterfinalist)
David Haynes  (1989 sate semifinals... he's now an orthopedic surgeon)
Chad Fox (1990 State Champion)
Richard Hall (If only he hadn't separated his shoulder....he could have been a beast)
Brandon Walker (the 92, 93, 94 squads were so much fun to watch because of him.  He pulled off some stunning playoff wins when NO ONE thought we could win)
Paul Todd (lead Marshall to a 10-0 season in 1996)
Austin Christmas (Maybe one of the best we've ever had.  Too bad Marshall had no defenses the years he played)
CJ Byrd- Back to back state championships (I think)
Justin Hart- His season-ending injury cost us an outright district title.... and we might have gone further than just 3 rounds had he been on the field in 2015.

I'm sure there are others I missed.... but those were at the top of my head.

Some great arms in there.... with some incredible playoff wins.  

I could have sworn Jackie started as a Soph as well. He was faster that year as he eventually turned into just a bruiser his sr season. Jr year Jackie was a perfect mix of size n speed. Did not wana catch him high after he got going. The oline play was one reason he got so many yards. They were great in 04 n 05.

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Dennis Parker transformed Maverick football when he came in and installed a passing attack in the early to mid 80's.  We were among the first teams in East Texas to become a "pass happy" program.

Richard Hall (If only he hadn't separated his shoulder....he could have been a beast)
Brandon Walker (the 92, 93, 94 squads were so much fun to watch because of him.  He pulled off some stunning playoff wins when NO ONE thought we could win)
Austin Christmas (Maybe one of the best we've ever had.  Too bad Marshall had no defenses the years he played)
Justin Hart- His season-ending injury cost us an outright district title.... and we might have gone further than just 3 rounds had he been on the field in 2015.

Byrd was only there for first one against Ennis...that 2005 team should NOT have been in the title game..it was JR and more JR on offense and not much else

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I thought Scott Furrh was the QB in 96.  I know Todd started in 97 and 98 seasons. But wasn't that Furrh that threw pass to David Aaron to beat JT that year.

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

IMHO.... Jackie Robinson

Not KD...  he was a good kid overall, but never worked hard enough to reach his full potential.

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

-------

What a game. 

Wow

• 1 year later...

DD was a dynamo....more versatile.....fast and stronger than you would think.....punt return against Carter...Plano game....took him less carries to get milestone yardage....actually played QB in grade school....They were all great....Odell set the bar though..Workhorse