Week 2 Scrimmage Reports

Yoe09

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

We did some good things lastnignt against Henderson and some stuff not so good but our young guys are growing up fast our defense was lights out. Me personally I think Henderson defense was better than Kilgore but their offense wasn’t but both will be very good 

So... it seems after two scrimmages against a couple of really good teams (Kilgore & Henderson), the Buckeye defense seems to be much better than last year, but the offense seems to be a little behind? Working in a new QB will do that; however, in your opinion, who will be the starting QB? It seems to me the Jr is better than the Sr?

1 hour ago, Acewell said:

Something to look forward to.

Tatum Freshman #16 stoodout.

Varsity #60 looked good.

Once y'alls QBs get their timing down, lookout.

Perry was #16. The RB that was running against your JV, #18, is the best freshman back. Remember Travian Smith from 1993 that went on to play at OU/Oakland Raiders? It is his son, Damien Smith. He is dealing with a knee injury that will require surgery following the season so he has no lateral movement really at all.

15 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

So... it seems after two scrimmages against a couple of really good teams (Kilgore & Henderson), the Buckeye defense seems to be much better than last year, but the offense seems to be a little behind? Working in a new QB will do that; however, in your opinion, who will be the starting QB? It seems to me the Jr is better than the Sr?

Yea to me the Soph has been a little better so to me I think we take our chance with him because u will have him for the next two yrs

5 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Yea to me the Soph has been a little better so to me I think we take our chance with him because u will have him for the next two yrs

Both the Freshmen and JV teams were really good last year, did he QB the JV team (I'm assuming the Freshman QB will QB the JV this year).

6 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Both the Freshmen and JV teams were really good last year, did he QB the JV team (I'm assuming the Freshman QB will QB the JV this year).

No he was the QB of the freshman team last yr and this yr JV QB will be a freshman that’s very talented can run and throw 

Denison 14, Paris 10 in live half which was followed by a controlled scrimmage with mostly reserves.

Denison was coming in off a embarrassing showing vs. Argyle in last week's scrimmage and no doubt had something to prove to their home crowd.  Paris offense continues to struggle with its O-line.  Paris defense overall looked lethargic and nothing like their impressive showing last week vs. Henderson.  Some of that could be due to the warm, humid conditions or maybe their practice schedule leading into the scrimmage.  But it's pretty clear Paris must rely on its defense getting turnovers, quick stops, and winning the field position battle for this team to be successful this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

Controlled

1s - SH 2 - Tatum 1 

2s - SH 1 - Tatum 0

2 live Quarters Tatum 21 SH 14

Spring Hill QB deadly accurate as a junior. 2 of his TDs were on WRs that were absolutely blanketed. And he threw dimes all evening. Very impressive WRs, line play isn't the strongest. Their run game has some growing to do but our front 7 are pretty solid on D. 

We were a little rough at first, overthrown balls and some mental mistakes. Settled down later and look good on both sides of the ball. Mainly through the air on offense. Defensively i can't really say we looked bad, Gage White is just that good of a QB.

Well luckily we have a few games to get our coverage assignments down a little better before we play them or that sounds really tough

I agree that the defense seems to look better this year. They still have some kinks to work out. Need a little more coverage when covering the receivers. The outcome could have been a lot different on both sides if it was not for the dropped balls. Offense needs to come together a little more. Lack the intensity that we are use to around here lol.

3 minutes ago, Sbk5280 said:

I agree that the defense seems to look better this year. They still have some kinks to work out. Need a little more coverage when covering the receivers. The outcome could have been a lot different on both sides if it was not for the dropped balls. Offense needs to come together a little more. Lack the intensity that we are use to around here lol.

The coverage is due to the scheme we are the only team I have ever seen to play a safety in a slot receiver with no Outside LB help there is just no way he can make up all that ground 

15 hours ago, Acewell said:

Good considering they are outmatched physically at every position.  They will outwork and compete with anyone though.

Lots of work to do before district.

Getting some injured players back will help.

Hey Ace,

does the defense look to be much improved from last season. If so, SH can be dangerous 

Just now, wingtveer said:

Hey Ace,

does the defense look to be much improved from last season. If so, SH can be dangerous 

Ehhh, better. I would definitely say better. Great, no, but decent. LBs swarm a lot better this year. They lack speed.

6 minutes ago, LIONMAN said:

Henderson never tries to win scrimmages. We typically don’t score the points that others do because our coach is too busy trying to find depth.  Our 1s see very little action in scrimmages.  

I don’t think either team was worrying about winning because I seen coaches from both sides rotating a lot of kids u had some 1s mixed in with backups and etc. I think both defenses swarm to the ball and both had several mistakes but that’s what the scrimmages are for is to see things u wanna try and fix

41 minutes ago, wingtveer said:

Hey Ace,

Yes!  Defense looks better and has 7or8 third year starters on it and some really suprising new additions.

They will need it because every team in our district has a dangerous offense.

2 hours ago, 1DeepThreat said:

Anyone see or hear how Brock vs Midlothian Heritage scrimmage went?  

Dave Campbell's Preseason 3aD1#1 vs 4aD1#6 

I hate that i couldn't make this one!!!

3-0 heritage in controlled

28-7 Brock in live quarter.  

6 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

QB didn’t look bad but u know it’s hard to tell a lot of things when ur switching so many kids in and out but I do know they need to play the Keshawn kid more at running back 

QB is a D1 receiver. It will come around. Receivers will come around also. Very talented squad. Speed galore this year.

Health will be the key for the Lions.

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

The coverage is due to the scheme we are the only team I have ever seen to play a safety in a slot receiver with no Outside LB help there is just no way he can make up all that ground 

This defense killed Gilmer in the Sweetwater semifinals 2 years ago.  Safety was just too far away from slot receiver.  It was 7-10 yards a pitch.