aTm declines chance at renewing rivalry with Horns

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I bet if that “outsider” money for each program was to dry up both would be in a world of hurt. 

You can keep saying that, but it's 100% speculation. 

How many season tickets has A&M sold? 

How many of our tickets are single game buyers?

How many student ticket sales do we have? 

How much do alums donate vs non alums?

Who makes up Adidas/branded gear sales? 

Can you accurately answer any of these questions? Cause if you can't, then I'm sorry, your hypothesis that "outsiders" keep us afloat is nothing but speculation. 

What percentage of each schools total athletic revenue comes from alum and what percentage comes from “outsiders”. 

We are both speculating.  Therefore my argument is just as valid as yours. 

15 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Not really. Our fans are super excited about the Clemson game. It is sold out and we're expecting over a 95% attendance. It's a fresh opponent who we don't get to play very often. 

Not really?

So USC getting blown out 56-3 against Bama at JerryWorld was good for them just because they were playing a national team? A&M already packs Kyle Field almost every game, so a sellout against Clemson isn't shocking to anyone. That means nothing if you can't win the big games. 

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

Not really?

So USC getting blown out 56-3 against Bama at JerryWorld was good for them just because they were playing a national team? A&M already packs Kyle Field almost every game, so a sellout against Clemson isn't shocking to anyone. That means nothing if you can't win the big games. 

I mean, when you talk about a 56-3 blowout, that's a different story from "only winning". 

I think Texas playing USC to 2 OTs that one year was great for them, even if they lost the game. 

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Prove to me that alum tow the majority of the financial line otherwise your hypothesis is nothing but speculation as well. 

Fans like you might make up more of those attending games than alum (which is great), but as far as who puts in more money, alumni do and I would say it's not even close. I agree with JF on that. 

3 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Fans like you might make up more of those attending games than alum (which is great), but as far as who puts in more money, alumni do and I would say it's not even close. I agree with JF on that. 

I don't know that they do, I'm looking into it now. Sadly, we don't keep such records on a lot of our fans (which is stupid). 

Okay, so without going into too much detail (privileged information and all that), season ticket sales are sold mostly to alums (in the 87-92% range). I didn't look into which sections are more high-dollar than others, but I can. 

A lot of those season ticket holders turn around and sell their tickets on the secondary market to other fans (who we don't have much information on... Stubhub/Flash Seats might). 

So if non alum fans attend games more often than alums, they're pumping money into alum/season ticket holders pocket. The AD made their money on the donors/season ticket holders. The season ticket holders made their money on secondary market sales. 

For one game (I won't say which, but it was non-conference), individual tickets were 11,530 of 87,418.

Season tickets were 50,992 of 87,418.

Students were 23,870 of 87418

And others (Comp, Discount, Ticket packages) were 1026 of 87, 418

So yeah.... Students and season ticket holders (of which around 90% are alums) made up 74,862 (or 85.6%) of our ticket sales for that game. 

Single-game tickets (which we don't know if they're alums or not) made up 11,530 (or 13.1%). 

That isn't to say that our non-alum fans are worthless. But if I'm taking the opinions of people, I want to take the opinions of donors, season ticket holders (alum or not), and students. After all, they make up 85% of our ticket sales. 

The point of my original post wasn't to disparage "non alums". You jumped to that conclusion. I'm less concerned with "alum vs non alum" and more concerned with "donors/season ticket holders vs fans who go to a game here or there"

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean, when you talk about a 56-3 blowout, that's a different story from "only winning". 

I think Texas playing USC to 2 OTs that one year was great for them, even if they lost the game. 

That's fair. I guess it also depends how you fair the rest of the season. I think you have to at least play well in those big games for them to matter. So I see your point. 

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's fair. I guess it also depends how you fair the rest of the season. I think you have to at least play well in those big games for them to matter. So I see your point. 

Yes. Playing well is key. If A&M loses to Clemson but we play well, I think it'll be a net positive for our team. If we roll over and get beat by 30, then no, it's not good. 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I don't know that they do, I'm looking into it now. Sadly, we don't keep records on a lot of our fans (which is stupid). 

That is dumb. I'm only spitballing from how much we give to the Longhorn Foundation.

I think A&M and Texas fans are ignoring the TV money from just this one game...  Alabama/UGA pulled in a 15.6 rating... 

I bet this game, at least the 1st installment after the return would be worth at least a 12.   That's worth a lot of money to both schools.

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Yes. Playing well is key. If A&M loses to Clemson but we play well, I think it'll be a net positive for our team. If we roll over and get beat by 30, then no, it's not good. 

Definitely agree with you on that.

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think A&M and Texas fans are ignoring the TV money from just this one game...  Alabama/UGA pulled in a 15.6 rating... 

I bet this game, at least the 1st installment after the return would be worth at least a 12.   That's worth a lot of money to both schools.

Nah, our TV deals are negotiated beforehand. 

It's not like commissioned where we get money based on how many ratings we pull in. 

That said, it'd lead to more money in the future when we negotiate games if we're pulling those kinds of numbers. But it's hard to say, "Hey look, we pulled this high rating in a rivalry game! Pay us more when we play ULM because we'll pull that kind of number again!"

9 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Okay, so without going into too much detail (privileged information and all that), season ticket sales are sold mostly to alums (in the 87-92% range). I didn't look into which sections are more high-dollar than others, but I can. 

A lot of those season ticket holders turn around and sell their tickets on the secondary market to other fans (who we don't have much information on... Stubhub/Flash Seats might). 

So if non alum fans attend games more often than alums, they're pumping money into alum/season ticket holders pocket. The AD made their money on the donors/season ticket holders. The season ticket holders made their money on secondary market sales. 

For one game (I won't say which, but it was non-conference), individual tickets were 11,530 of 87,418.

Season tickets were 50,992 of 87,418.

Students were 23,870 of 87418

And others (Comp, Discount, Ticket packages) were 1026 of 87, 418

So yeah.... Students and season ticket holders (of which around 90% are alums) made up 74,862 (or 85.6%) of our ticket sales for that game. 

Single-game tickets (which we don't know if they're alums or not) made up 11,530 (or 13.1%). 

So we could conservatively say somewhere between 20-25% are outsiders. 

I’ll go with 20%. 

A&M usually sits at about $190 million in athletic revenue. 

So.... the approximate $40 million plus pumped in by outsiders is irrelevant in marketing and gauging consumer desire?  

Interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

So we could conservatively say somewhere between 20-25% are outsiders. 

I’ll go with 20%. 

A&M usually sits at about $190 million in athletic revenue. 

So.... the approximate $40 million plus pumped in by outsiders is irrelevant in marketing and gauging consumer desire?  

Interesting. 

That's a fair point, and I guess I should correct what I said earlier.

I shouldn't completely dismiss the opinion of "outsiders" (and again, I'm less concerned with "alum vs non alum" and more concerned with "student/season ticket holder vs non"). I just weight it less than others. 

My apologies for my inability to communicate that in a less "arrogant" way. Further, if you ever want tickets to a game, hit me up. My treat. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I was referring to you, the admitted outsider who has nothing to do with either program, telling us what is best for us lmao. It's not really arrogant to tell someone who has nothing to do with either team that I don't care about their opinion on what is best for us. 

Our fans, t-shirt and alum alike, don't want the game. You claim non-alum Texas fans want the game. Other than this thread, do you have anything to back that up? According to the Texas AD, they don't want the game. 

Umm, UT’s current AD just tried to schedule it and A&M’s schedule is full and they had no desire to rearrange the schedule to fit it in.

At least Texas asked A&M to play.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You posted that a few days ago and it didn't make sense then either. We're scheduling teams like Clemson, Miami, and Notre Dame. Nobody is scared of 6-6 Texas.

If you need unfunny memes to help you sleep at night, then go for it, I guess. 

Aww, man. You mean that's why I don't sleep good at night then? 

6 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Umm, UT’s current AD just tried to schedule it and A&M’s schedule is full and they had no desire to rearrange the schedule to fit it in.

At least Texas asked A&M to play.

Yea but A&M asked Texas to play when they first left and Texas said the exact same thing. Our schedule is full. Both of these teams could easily drop a team and find the room, but they won’t. Not yet. Give it another 5-6 years and we will see. 

I see this as a strategic move by CDC.  He knew the Answer when he called Woodward.  The one thing that the Aggies are trying to use to recruit against Texas (the SEC pitch) is about to be gone.  Texas will have LSU, Arkansas, Bama, Georgia on the schedule for the next 8 years.  

“You won’t play us?!  We’ll play everybody you play”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I see this as a strategic move by CDC.  He knew the Answer when he called Woodward.  The one thing that the Aggies are trying to use to recruit against Texas (the SEC pitch) is about to be gone.  Texas will have LSU, Arkansas, Bama, Georgia on the schedule for the next 8 years.  

“You won’t play us?!  We’ll play everybody you play”.

That’s not true at all. Scheduling one game a year doesn’t put you in the conference. It doesn’t magically pit you against the top talent in the country every week. Say what you want, but the numbers speak for themselves. The recruiting rankings and the nfl draft numbers. The talent in the sec is far superior to the big 12. That doesn’t mean a team can’t be better because of coaching or injuries or team chemistry or whatever, but position for position the sec is just lined with better players than the big 12 everywhere except QB. So the argument that Texas is playing the same teams now simply because they put a few sec teams spaced out over 10 years on the schedule, isn’t the same thing as actually playing in the sec. 

• Mr. P changed the title to aTm declines chance at renewing rivalry with Horns