Bands can't play after huddle breaks?

Acewell

The officials at the Spring Hill game are enforcing the rule that the band can't play after huddle breaks.  Well SH band can't but GW can.

So the band really can't play at all except half time. 

What happens if the team is no huddle?

Has anyone seen this enforced before?

Fans yelling is fine, but when a band plays a couple of notes right after a team lines up to get teams to jump that's wrong. If they want to play a whole song, go for it, but evidently what the SH band was doing was against the rules. If you have a problem take it up with the UIL.

• Stinks 1

4 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Fans yelling is fine, but when a band plays a couple of notes right after a team lines up to get teams to jump that's wrong. If they want to play a whole song, go for it, but evidently what the SH band was doing was against the rules. If you have a problem take it up with the UIL.

Haven't ever seen that called and doubt I see it called again this season.  If it's in fact a rule, it's the most uninforced rule in HS football!!

SH band must do an exceptionally great job to have it called on them.  Good job SH band for your ability to influence the game to that magnitude!!

5 minutes ago, HHS90 said:

Haven't ever seen that called and doubt I see it called again this season.  If it's in fact a rule, it's the most uninforced rule in HS football!!

SH band must do an exceptionally great job to have it called on them.  Good job SH band for your ability to influence the game to that magnitude!!

You might be surprised at how good the Panther band is. Bottom line is if it's against the rules, it should be called. All it caused was offsetting penalties so the ruling itself didn't make a difference. 

• Stinks 1

Yes I have seen this enforced. Alto band is super loud. Joaquin played em last year and our coach notified the ref before the game of this rule. He stopped the game and made Alto band stop playing as Joe came to line of scrimmage. Needless to say many Alto fans were upset.....but their band would actually cause false starts with playing

• Thumbs Down 1

I have zero problem with the band causing problems for the opposing team’s offense - all game!

Now, I do kind of tend to lean toward them playing a song, but just to blast a note while the offense is at the line of scrimmage I don’t think that’s too sportsmanlike. If they’re blasting a song or have been playing while the offense is coming to the line of scrimmage go for it as loud as possible. 

• Like 1

The key is they have to play a song not just make noise...my guess is they were just making racket...and yes I've seen it enforced many times...

The really good bands have certain songs they play when the other team has the ball....they lower the volume between plays and as soon as the other team comes to the line they crank it up...Allen and Aledo come to mind

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

The key is they have to play a song not just make noise...my guess is they were just making racket...and yes I've seen it enforced many times...

The really good bands have certain songs they play when the other team has the ball....they lower the volume between plays and as soon as the other team comes to the line they crank it up...Allen and Aledo come to mind

YES!

31 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

When the Carthage band was good in the early to mid 90s they blasted songs while the other team was at the line of scrimmage and at the opposing band. It was fun to watch the band perform in the stands and during half time.

Now days our band just sits over there quiet as church mouses......... 😕

i made the comment last night that the band director from jacksonville knew football.   they would barely play until we came to the line then crank it way up.   being a true football fan i like that.   one the other hand the carthage band director could care  less.   he is more likely to have  our band playing when we have the ball then when the opponent does.   have seen surratt get furious with our band director on several occasions.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmoc said:

i made the comment last night that the band director from jacksonville knew football.   they would barely play until we came to the line then crank it way up.   being a true football fan i like that.   one the other hand the carthage band director could care  less.   he is more likely to have  our band playing when we have the ball then when the opponent does.   have seen surratt get furious with our band director on several occasions.  

We need Surratt to go teach him how to be a band director and how to use the band to our benefit.

Actually, we need Mr. Bird to come back and whip our band into shape!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

They were playing the ESPN song.  First time didn't cause false start but when they played the 6 note ending separately like they usually do, it caused a false start. That is when the referee enforced the rule. 

The intent was to cause a false start or at least slow the lineman down.

43 minutes ago, Acewell said:

They were playing the ESPN song.  First time didn't cause false start but when they played the 6 note ending separately like they usually do, it caused a false start. That is when the referee enforced the rule. 

The intent was to cause a false start or at least slow the lineman down.

It definitely worked lol. They practiced it it seemed. I think the players would have adjusted had it continued but not going to lie it would have eventually gotten annoying lol. SH always has a good band. 

12 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

I was in the band and it rude especially when it's intended to hurt a team.

I’m sorry, did I just see someone say it’s rude because it hurts the other team! This isn’t chess being played in a library!!!

Are you serious!!!!!

Blasting noise is one thing, but playing songs loud is part of the fun of the game. Kilgore did it when Nac had the ball last night!

Should the crowd sit down and be quiet on 4th and 1 with 36 seconds left so we aren’t being rude to the teams calling their signals. This is like the old crowd noise rule in the pros. That they figured out they can’t enforce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I’m sorry, did I just see someone say it’s rude because it hurts the other team! This isn’t chess being played in a library!!!

Are you serious!!!!!

Blasting noise is one thing, but playing songs loud is part of the fun of the game. Kilgore did it when Nac had the ball last night!

Should the crowd sit down and be quiet on 4th and 1 with 36 seconds left so we aren’t being rude to the teams calling their signals. This is like the old crowd noise rule in the pros. That they figured out they can’t enforce.

I’m with you Nacwag.

15 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Are you serious!!!!!

My comment was about this particular situation, and it was blasting noise, not playing a song loudly, which by the way is fine. Nothing wrong with playing loudly or playing a song at anytime. My comment was about what happened last night and the rule associated with it. In my day and age what happened last night was rude. Today it's acceptable but yet still against the rules. 

Bottom line, the refs made the decision rather quickly to stop it. In my opinion they did the right thing by waiting till it caused an issue and then calling it. It didn't stop the band from playing songs throughout the game. They sounded great. SH has an outstanding band and a really good football team.