Week Two: Longview at Marshall - The 108th Edition

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (1-0)  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a close one
    • Longview in a blow out
    • Marshall in a blow out
    • Marshall in a close one

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2018 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngmarshall.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (1-0, 0-0) AT MARSHALL MAVERICKS (1-0, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, September 7th, 2018
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
MARSHALL BROADCAST: 103.9 FM KMHT

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 60-42-5 longview.png

The Mavericks have a 17-15-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 45-25-3 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest before.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 30-14-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 29-28-2 lead when the game is played at Marshall.
Longview has won the last two meetings with the Mavericks.
Longview is 14-5-0 all-time against Marshall at Maverick Stadium (new), with the Lobos winning the last meeting there.
Longview is 1-0 all-time when the game is played on September 7th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
09.08.2017 - Longview 41, Marshall 7 - Lobo Stadium
09.02.2016 - Longview 56, Marshall 7 - Maverick Stadium
10.09.2015 - Marshall 28, Longview 25 - Maverick Stadium
10.10.2014 - Longview 56, Marshall 13 - Lobo Stadium
09.06.2013 - Longview 26, Marshall 14 - Maverick Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
What a night for East Texas football. The Longview Lobos opened the 2018 football season with a national televised audience watching on, in the 82nd edition of their long standing rivalry with the Lufkin Panthers. Back and forth the two rivals went until the final three minutes when a loose fumble right at the 50 gave the Lobos a chance to bring home the win. And that’s exactly what junior quarterback Haynes King did. Throwing the ball up for grabs, Lobo receiver Kaden Kearbey came down with the game winning touchdown. Following an interception just two plays from scrimmage later, the Lobos sealed their win with their third straight win over the Panthers and their 6th in their last 7 meetings. Next up for the Lobos is another long standing rivalry with the rivals from the East, in the Marshall Mavericks. The 108th edition comes to Marshall’s Maverick Stadium after a solid win for the Mavericks in the 2nd year of the Claude Mathis era for the Mavericks. The Mavs traveled to Tyler to take on Tyler Lee and walked away with a comfortable 42-29 victory. The win in the opening game was Marshall’s first since 2015, and just their third opening game victory in the last decade. The two rivals will meet for the 108th time, and for the 86th consecutive season. A series dating back to 1909, the two schools have met every year since apart from 1913, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1924, 1925 and 1932. The Lobos come into the game having won two in a row against the Mavs, and 16 of the previous 17 contests. Since the start of their 19-game winning streak over Marshall back in 1969, Longview has registered a 40-9 against the Mavericks. Inside Marshall’s Maverick Stadium has been just as impressive for the Lobos winning 7 of the last 8 games there, with the lone loss coming in 2015 with a 28-25 loss. Longview’s last visit, in 2016, resulted in a 56-7 victory over the Mavericks.

WEEK TWO 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview at Marshall (Maverick Stadium)
Mesquite vs Grand Prairie (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
Mesquite Horn at Highland Park (Highlander Stadium)
North Mesquite at Garland Lakeview Centennial (Homer B Johnson Stadium)
Rockwall vs Rowlett (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Rockwall Heath at Wylie (Wylie ISD Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs John Tyler (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium) {Saturday}

WEEK ONE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 35 Lufkin 28
Mesquite 35 Lake Highlands 45
Mesquite Horn 0 Allen 40
North Mesquite 22 Arlington Sam Houston 12
Rockwall 42 Highland Park 49
Rockwall Heath 10 Keller Timber Creek 47
Tyler Lee 29 Marshall 42

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (1-0, 0-0)
2nd. North Mesquite (1-0, 0-0)
3rd. Rockwall (0-1, 0-0)
4th. Mesquite (0-1, 0-0)
5th. Tyler Lee (0-1, 0-0)
6th. Rockwall Heath (0-1, 0-0)
7th. Mesquite Horn (0-1, 0-0)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
Last Week - Belton lost to Austin Westlake, 38-17, Copperas Cove defeated UNAL from Mexico, 34-27, Killeen lost to Round Rock Stony Point, 21-14, Killeen Ellison lost to A&M Consolidated, 48-7, Killeen Harker Heights lost to Round Rock, 36-7, Killeen Shoemaker lost to San Angelo Central, 19-7, Temple defeated Round Rock Cedar Ridge, 45-25, Waco Midway lost to Euless Trinity, 37-7, Waco High defeated Waco University, 29-22.
This Week - Belton travels to Round Rock, Copperas Cove travels to Manor, Killeen host to Cedar Park Vista Ridge, Killeen Ellison travels to Austin Vandegrift, Killeen Harker Heights travels to Round Rock Stony Point, Killeen Shoemaker hosts Midlothian, Temple host UANL from Mexico, Waco Midway takes on Mansfield Lake Ridge at the Cotton Bowl, Waco High travels to Georgetown.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 1-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (153-36 in 14 seasons) (Playoffs: 34-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 714-345-52 (Playoffs: 63-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 43
Last Playoff Appearance: 2017, 6A Division II State Semi-Final
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.31 - vs Lufkin - Win 35-28
09.07 - at Marshall
09.14 - vs John Tyler
09.21 - at Ruston
09.28 - at Rockwall
10.12 - vs Mesquite Horn
10.19 - at Rockwall Heath
10.26 - vs North Mesquite
11.02 - at Tyler Lee
11.09 - vs Mesquite

MARSHALL MAVERICKS
Record: 1-0 (0-0)
District: 9-5A Division 2
Coach: Claude Mathis (7-5 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-1)
First Year of Football: 1902
All-Time Record: 595-461-45 (Playoffs: 37-28-2)
Playoff Appearances: 30
Last Playoff Appearance: 2017, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships: 1990 (5A DI)
State Championship Appearances: 1990 (5A DI), 2004 (4A DI), 2005 (4ADI)
SCHEDULE:
08.31 - at Tyler Lee - Win 42-29
09.07 - vs Longview
09.14 - vs Carthage
09.28 - at Lindale
10.05 - vs Hallsville
10.12 - at Mount Pleasant
10.19 - vs Jacksonville
10.26 - at Nacogdoches
11.02 - vs Whitehouse
11.09 - at Pine Tree

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 7th
In 1973, Danny Majors and Keith Pittman each scored a first quarter touchdown as Longview and Dallas Jesuit battled to 0s in each of the next three quarters in a 14-0 Lobo victory. The two teams combined for a total of 16 first downs on this defensive day in Lobo Stadium.
In 1979, Clifford Ward scored the first three touchdowns on the night and Nathan Harris added another in the 2nd quarter as Longview rolled past Dallas Thomas Jefferson, 27-6, in Lobo Stadium. The Patriots only were able to muster 155 yard on the night.
In 1984, Joe Johnson tallied two touchdowns in the first quarter as the Lobos dominated the Highlanders of Fort Worth Eastern Hills, 38-14. Longview used a 31-point first half to take control of the game as four different Lobos scored on the night.
In 1990, Killeen grabbed a 9-7 lead heading into the 4th quarter from Leo Buckley Stadium before Andre Davis took over. After a 61 yard rushing touchdown gave the Lobos the lead, Andre Davis got his 2nd on a 4th yard rush to seal the victory for Longview with a 21-9 win over the ‘Roos. Bobby Taylor’s 96 yard kickoff return was Longview’s only tally in the first half.
In 2001, trailing the three-time defending 5A State Champions and #2 ranked Midland Lee, 17-13, heading into the 4th quarter, Lobo mania returned with a big celebration. The Lobos had not made the post season in four years and used that aggression to make their returning statement with a 20-point 4th quarter to knock off the Rebels in Lobo Stadium, 33-17. Fred Hawkins tallied all three touchdowns to seal Longview’s biggest victory in years.
In 2007, Mark Johnson tallied twice and Johnny Garrett added three more insurance as the Longview Lobos dominated the Mavericks of Marshall from the get go in a 41-7 victory at Maverick Stadium. Longview produced four turnovers in the victory that saw Dacorris Ford return an interception 75 yards for a touchdown.
In 2012, a week after losing senior quarterback Bivins Caraway, the Lobo special teams and defense pulled through in big ways to help push Longview past North Little Rock, 30-14. A 84-yard punt return and a 4th quarter blocked punt return for a touchdown highlighted the day for Longview.

lobohowl2.GIF

• Thanks 1

I want the Mavericks to compete.  Make Longview sweat for it.

Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.

Other than that....I want the Mavs to continue getting better each week and prepare for what could be a tough 9-5A race.  

Safety to players and folks traveling to Marshall for the game.

GO MAVS GO!

Looking back at Lufkin, there’s definitely a lot to work on.

As it seems is the case every year now, we struggled to end things on 3rd down against the Pack. A lot of Lufkin’s plays came on that down. Even the fumble, they converted a 3rd and 10 before they lost it.

Lufkin’s touchdowns a lot of the time came on broken plays or missed tackles. First touchdown we had wrapped up and then lost it and he goes 50+ yards. 2nd touchdown came after we stopped them on the goal line but then they got a fake field goal for the score. 4th score came on a fumbled snap then we lost coverage cause we tried to go to the QB and he made a play. Small things to correct imo. 

Snaps have to get better though. Haynes definitely was saving us with those behind awful snaps most the night. Team will get better for sure. Lufkin was a great test to open the season. We didn’t play our best, obviously. But we made the plays in the end when it counted to bring home the W. Go into Maverick Stadium and make another statement this week.

Our pass defense has GOT to improve.  Lee torched us in the second half in the passing game.  Minus ONE play in the first half, it should have been 28-7 at the half instead of 28-14.

Just as I had feared.... Lee's depth and size across their offensive line wore us down as the game carried on.  They simply have 6A roster depth that we do not have.  

While I doubt we will see the same kind of size across the board in district play, I have no doubt Longview will have similar size (if not more) than Lee does.  Not to mention more talent.

Our defense was gassed by the middle of the fourth quarter.  Thankfully we had a somewhat comfortable lead as a cushion.  And amazingly... the defense made not one, but two stands in the final mins to make the score stick.

But there is no doubt we struggled with Lee's depth and size.  Something Longview has plenty of.  That's concerning.

Pass defense..... needs a lot of work.  I was pleased with the run defense....but in fairness to Lee, they lost LaDarius Wickware to an injury early in the game, so it's hard to gauge how good our run defense actually was.

JJ Green....what can you say.  They guy makes things happen.  He went 15-24 for 315 yards and 5 touchdown passes with 0 interceptions.  He had another TD running totaling 30 yards on the ground.

I was pleased we didn't turn the ball over the entire game.  Amazingly.... neither team had a turnover in the game.

5 different Mav receivers got touches.  Great news.

Next big thing Mavs need..... find a running game.  It was inconsistent at best.  Only 116 yards on the ground out of 440 total yards.  The O-line struggled to open holes.  We need someone to tote the rock.  

Lots to work on.... and Longview will likely be the best team we face all season.  They will make us better.

Let's go out.... compete... learn... and move on to what looks like an outstanding Carthage team for week 3.  

24 minutes ago, TheFootballFan said:

Lobos .... running game will go wild

Have to agree here.

Marshall will not have even close to the same type of D line that Lufkin had last night. Running game will definitely be much better this week IMO.

• Like 1

Marshall needs to pass more this game. It's what we do and its big play potential every snap with the 4 D1s coming into play.. We really played conservative in the second half by running so much. We have no clear rb starter and struggled to open holes. Imo, with what we have on offense this year, we should be passing up to 75 percent of the time. Running just enough to keep teams guessing. JJ also becomes a viable rusher at qb if play breaks down. I dont think we saw much of the playbook last night either. 

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I want the Mavericks to compete.  Make Longview sweat for it.

Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.

Other than that....I want the Mavs to continue getting better each week and prepare for what could be a tough 9-5A race.  

Safety to players and folks traveling to Marshall for the game.

GO MAVS GO!

Seems like it's going the way that we talked about in the other thread.

Marshall blew out Tyler Lee... now will they show consistency? Mathis has those boys rolling at the moment.

As for this game prediction, it honestly depends on which Lobo team decides to show up in Marshall next week.

If it's the team we saw last night, Longview better stay on alert. Now if they play up to their true potential as they are supposed to, could be a long night for the Mavericks.

Anderson will I think deystroy marshsll d.... I think Meridith will be inserted.... he’s A D-1 running back no doubt as a sophomore.... you can see the explosion..... 

I know Marshall has 75 d1 players apparently!😁.... but either way Longview’s offense will dictate the game! Longview scored 35 points on a great defense and did it being sloppy.... just saying.... if I’m Marshall I’d buckle my chin straps! Espicially at linebacker because the 230 lb train is coming!

31 minutes ago, ANTI said:

If it's the team we saw last night, Longview better stay on alert. Now if they play up to their true potential as they are supposed to, could be a long night for the Mavericks.

I think we made a lot of mistakes in the first half on offense. But the defense played great.

I also think the offense played better than the defense did in the 2nd half, but then again, the defense made the plays to get the Pack in 3rd and long all night long. They just couldn't finish a lot of the time, or at least two times, made stops and weren't rewarded because of the refs' decision. 

We'll be fine. It's the first game of the year. The running game and the O line need to get their act together, but they started too I feel like in the 2nd half. I believe they scored on every single drive they had in the 2nd half, unless I'm forgetting one. 

I much rather they play "to their true potential" in November and December personally, than right now.

That said, the snaps have to get better. That alone ended at least two scoring drives last night. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think we made a lot of mistakes in the first half on offense. But the defense played great.

I also think the offense played better than the defense did in the 2nd half, but then again, the defense made the plays to get the Pack in 3rd and long all night long. They just couldn't finish a lot of the time, or at least two times, made stops and weren't rewarded because of the refs' decision. 

We'll be fine. It's the first game of the year. The running game and the O line need to get their act together, but they started too I feel like in the 2nd half. I believe they scored on every single drive they had in the 2nd half, unless I'm forgetting one. 

I much rather they play "to their true potential" in November and December personally, than right now.

That said, the snaps have to get better. That alone ended at least two scoring drives last night. 

Kicked a FG and then scored a TD every drive until the end of the game to kneel. 

I thought Lufkin actually ran the ball well against our defense. They kept getting into 2nd and medium-short situations. 

I am watching the Lobo and Lufkin game now on fox sports. 

Dang, both teams are really fast on both sides of the ball. 

You can tell the TV cameras seem to have these young men nervous as as a cat walking through s dog kennel. Fumbled snaps bad snaps over throws but still playing at a high level on the first game out. 

These boys are playing hard causing snot bubbles when they hit. Outstanding players all over the field on both sides.

Great game to watch on TV  📺  

I feel like both teams will make big time runs at the 6A and 5A titles  

• Like 2