Week Two: Longview at Marshall - The 108th Edition

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (1-0)  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a close one
    • Longview in a blow out
    • Marshall in a blow out
    • Marshall in a close one

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2018 at 12:30 AM

9 hours ago, ANTI said:

On paper, appears to be a test for the Lobo secondary.

D1 QB + 3 D1 WRs.

Speaking of that. Mav fans, out of Tahj Washington, Savion Williams and Dekendrick bender... which would you say is the best one of the bunch?

They all are good at what they do. Tahj more of an Antonio Brown type. 

Bender=Dez type 

Savion= Randy Moss minus the elite speed. 

I hope the line can protect JJ because I have a feeling Lobos wont let him sit back comfortably like Lee did. Although he created his own time a few times. 

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

I hope to the good lord Marshall blows Carthage to another planet.

I would worry about the Lobo’s before the Carthage Dawgs. 

I watched the Lobo replay against Lufkin. I have not seen speed like that in one game from both teams in a long time. 

The mav’s and dawgs will be a great game. 

I have not seen the Mav’s play, but I believe the Lobo’s have a legitimate shot at the state title this year if they stay injury free. 

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

27 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I would worry about the Lobo’s before the Carthage Dawgs. 

I watched the Lobo replay against Lufkin. I have not seen speed like that in one game from both teams in a long time. 

The mav’s and dawgs will be a great game. 

I have not seen the Mav’s play, but I believe the Lobo’s have a legitimate shot at the state title this year if they stay injury free. 

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!! 

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

He's a Lobo fan haha

Bu yeah, I had a chance to talk to a lot of the Fox Sports people, as well as Brad Leeland (Buddy Garrity from Friday Night Lights). All agreed that 

1) The atmosphere was unlike any they'd seen at a HS game

2) There was tons of talent and speed on both teams on both sides of the ball

3) The game was as exciting as any they had seen

They were all saying they picked the right game to cover in Week 1, and that it delivered everything they hoped for when they chose that game. So glad East Texas teams are getting the exposure they deserve. I hope some of the lower-classification teams get similar recognition moving forward. 

• Like 3

I think it’s more of a “we’re the best team in East Texas” thing. He must be salty that everyone says Longview and Lufkin are the best. Carthage is a great team and I love watching them play. Great Program with a top class coach. Arguably the best coach in East Texes maybe even Texas as a whole

1 hour ago, LoboUp95 said:

I think it’s more of a “we’re the best team in East Texas” thing. He must be salty that everyone says Longview and Lufkin are the best. Carthage is a great team and I love watching them play. Great Program with a top class coach. Arguably the best coach in East Texes maybe even Texas as a whole

Last post on this topic (sorry, AKA... Just wanna try and lay this to rest.)

This has been discussed before ad nauseum. Carthage is great for their classification. Would they win if they played Longview straight up? Probably not- we have a lot more depth, if nothing else. But we'll never know because we don't play them (although we scrimmaged them that one spring in like 2000 and Marvin Byrdsong broke both of the collar bones of their pulling guard on the first play... I've never been so scared of a ).

We don't play them for a reason... Because we have more students and thus a bigger talent pool. But pound for pound, it's hard to argue that Carthage hasn't been the best in East Texas over the last decade or so. Their classification faces different challenges from ours with different skills required for winning, and they have a coach who is good at that. He wouldn't necessarily do well at Longview, the same way a HS coach wouldn't necessarily do well in College or a College coach wouldn't do well in the NFL. 

All that said, we have had a lot of success, wins, playoff presence, etc. We play games on national TV, and several games against great teams from the entire Southeast. I'm not worried about a Carthage fan thinking they could beat Longview, and you shouldn't be either. 

• Like 1

They are all 3 different style receivers. Tahj is the smallest but fastest. He is explosive with the ball in his hands and returns kicks as well. Bender is the most physical. He can use his big body to shield defenders and go up for balls. He is the best blocker of them. Savion is the biggest at 6'5 and can jump out of the stadium. He is an almost automatic td in the redzone with a fade pass. But it wouldnt matter unless we had a qb that could get them the ball and JJ can def do that as he proved that with the 5 tds vs Lee.

2 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

They are all 3 different style receivers. Tahj is the smallest but fastest. He is explosive with the ball in his hands and returns kicks as well. Bender is the most physical. He can use his big body to shield defenders and go up for balls. He is the best blocker of them. Savion is the biggest at 6'5 and can jump out of the stadium. He is an almost automatic td in the redzone with a fade pass. But it wouldnt matter unless we had a qb that could get them the ball and JJ can def do that as he proved that with the 5 tds vs Lee.

Is that the QB from last year? He was quite an athlete and a definite bright spot for Marshall last season when I watched them play Longview. He kept the game somewhat close for a while by himself, but he was doing it all on his own with no help. Sounds like he has help now. 

Yes same qb. He was a sophmore last year and was thrown in after injuries to our senior qb and transfer qb. He has had a whole summer as the starter now and is more comfortable and knowledgable with the offense instead of playing on athleticism alone. Has offers from Nebraska, Miss and others. Could be really special next 2 years.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I'm not worried about a Carthage fan thinking they could beat Longview, and you shouldn't be either. 

I’m definitely not worried about what a Carthage fan says at all. Just thought it was funny when I read it and thought I would share. But yes sorry for getting off topic. That’s why I went and talked about the problems this Marshall Offense may pose. Gonna have to start with the d line and getting pressure on that QB

The Lobo D line is definitely not going to give their QB time to just set up shop back there. 

Most, if not all, of Lufkin's score came on broken plays. No doubt the Lufkin QB made plays that we're pretty impressive. And I'm sure Marshall's QB will have make some impressive plays this Friday as well. 

Marshall's a solid team, from the looks of it. But we're definitely not Tyler Lee (or Ellison for that matter). Just a matter of the Lobos coming into Maverick Stadium and doing what they need to do to grab the victory. 

I think we all want to see the Lobo run game move the ball better from the get go. King was definitely not happy with that in the post game. 

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

Weird stat of the day: Longview has more passing yards than rushing yards in three of their last four games. Only the Lufkin playoff game did we have 20 or so more rushing yards than passing.

How many games in our history have we had more passing yards than rushing?

I'm guessing not many at all. 

36 minutes ago, AKA said:

Watching week one highlights of some of the other teams on our schedule, I'm feeling like Lufkin's defense may be the best we face for several weeks. 

I don’t think we’ll face a defense as good as Lufkin’s until the regional round of the playoffs to be honest.

• Like 3