Week Two: Longview at Marshall - The 108th Edition

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (1-0)  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a close one
    • Longview in a blow out
    • Marshall in a blow out
    • Marshall in a close one

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2018 at 12:30 AM

39 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

How many games in our history have we had more passing yards than rushing?

I'm guessing not many at all. 

I’ll report back on this later tonight. It’s more than you would think probably. 

19 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I’ll report back on this later tonight. It’s more than you would think probably. 

Probably so, cause I'd have said about 0 before the past 5 years or so.

I went back and checked on that 47 Brackenridge game where we got a penetration on a screen play on the first play from scrimmage but then neither team threatened and Longview won 1-0 on penetrations. Looks like 85 rushing and 61 passing on that (hella good job on having that stat, btw). 

I was talking to another Mav fan.... and he mentioned that it always seemed like when we play Longview we keep it close till half time... and then it falls apart for Marshall in the second half.  Which made me go back and look.....

The close games:
2000- Marshall won 38-28
2001- Longview won 28-23
2006- Longview won 38-35
2015- Marshall won 28-25

Close Games at halftime:
2004- Marshall lead at halftime 15-10.  Longview won 40-15.
2008- Game was tied 21-21 at halftime.  Longview won 50-21.
2009- Longview lead 23-22 at halftime.  Longview won 37-40.
2010- Longview lead 10-9 at halftime.  Longview won 31-9.
2013- Game was tied 7-7 at halftime.  Longview won 26-14.

Games still in reach at halftime:
2005- Longview lead 21-10 at halftime.  Longview won 28-16.
2007- Longview lead 21-7 at halftime.  Longview won 41-7.
2011- Longview lead 10-0 at halftime.  Longview won 30-0.
2017- Longview lead 20-7 at halftime.  Longview won 41-7.

Games that were blowout by halftime:
2002- Longview lead 27-0 at halftime
2003- Longview lead 28-0 at halftime
2012- Longview lead 34-0 at halftime
2014- Longview lead 28-0 at halftime
2016- Longview lead 42-0 at halftime

Thinking back to those close games at halftime that went south...... IMHO....boils down to a couple of things. 

1.  Depth.  Longview has lot of it.  More than most.  And definitely more than Marshall.  700+ more students gives you that luxury (even though not all 6A schools have participation numbers like Longview) .  But that depth on their roster gives them a distinct edge in close games going down the wire.

2.  Coach King makes the best halftime adjustments of any HS coach I've ever witnessed.  He's a master.  Give credit where it's due.  9 of those games were still within reach of the Mavericks winning/staying in the game... and he shut us down more often than not in the second half.  It's maddening.  But he makes it happen.

Obviously Longview has some big advantages over us.  They have numbers we don't have.  Size we don't have.  And one of the most stable coaching staffs in the region.  That all adds up to good things for the Lobos.

Like I've said in years past concerning this game..... we've lost to Longview and gone on to have fantastic seasons afterwards.   This game doesn't make us or break us.  I want us to win.  But.... as long as this game gets us ready for a possible district championship.... and a nice playoff run....  then I'm good with that win or lose.  

But I want to win.  It's just not the end of the world if we don't. 

Longview will likely be the best team we play all year unless we make it to the third or fourth round of the playoffs.

Hoping for a barnburner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Thinking back to those close games at halftime that went south...... IMHO....boils down to a couple of things. 

1.  Depth.  Longview has lot of it.  More than most.  And definitely more than Marshall.  700+ more students gives you that luxury (even though not all 6A schools have participation numbers like Longview) .  But that depth on their roster gives them a distinct edge in close games going down the wire.

2.  Coach King makes the best halftime adjustments of any HS coach I've ever witnessed.  He's a master.  Give credit where it's due.  9 of those games were still within reach of the Mavericks winning/staying in the game... and he shut us down more often than not in the second half.  It's maddening.  But he makes it happen.

Obviously Longview has some big advantages over us.  They have numbers we don't have.  Size we don't have.  And one of the most stable coaching staffs in the region.  That all adds up to good things for the Lobos. 

A big snake that has bitten Marshall against the Lobos has been turnovers for as far as I can remember. In 2002 & 2003, it was several fumbles (7, all lost in the 2003 game), as it was in 2004 (one which was recovered for a TD). I remember that 2007 game where Marshall had something like 6 different trips inside the Lobos 35 and came away with 0 points (and one of those was an INT returned for a TD... so it was 7 the other way). 

The depth is a big issue here and it'll only continue to widen as Longview continues to grow and Marshall stays about the same.

But as Mavchamp said, King has been a superior coach in almost every single game outside of 2015. That was one of his worst coached games I think he's ever had at Longview, along with some bone head mistakes by a few of our players. I still don't understand why he was so insistent on passing when Marshall could not stop the run at all. But then again, we also had a guy take a kickoff on like the 5 yard line and step out of bounds, when the ball was already going out of bounds to begin with.

The last two contests just haven't been that competitive. Even last season, Marshall got off to a hot start but that was answered immediately by a long kickoff return and a touchdown run the play after. After that, the game was over it felt like.

It's pretty obvious this is Marshall's best team since 2015. I don't think we'll have a 2015 type game but I do expect things to be closer than they were the last two years with 56-7/41-7 scorelines. Marshall will get their yards. Probably mostly through the air. I just don't think they have anywhere near the type of defense we just played to slow us down.

I mostly want to see the run game improve and the snaps have to be much better.

Mavchamp, how were y'all in the turnover department + the penalty department last Friday?

No turnovers Friday night Vs. Lee. In fact... neither team turned it over.

Lots of pass interference calls against us.  Some legit...some not.  I think it was 12 penalties for 98 yards.

I hate to call some of it home cooking....but some of it sure felt like it.

I think three drives were continued for Lee on what should have been punts on some suspicious calls.

Gotta clean that up.

Marshall will definitely have to take advantage of the stops when they do get some stops. Can't be having penalties that extend Lobo drives.

I don't believe Lufkin got a single stop by the defense in the 2nd half (from my memory), other than the last drive when Longview kneeled it to end the game.

17 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Marshall will definitely have to take advantage of the stops when they do get some stops. Can't be having penalties that extend Lobo drives.

I don't believe Lufkin got a single stop by the defense in the 2nd half (from my memory), other than the last drive when Longview kneeled it to end the game.

Correct. We kicked a FG to start the 2nd half and scored a TD on the next 3 possessions. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ANTI said:

On paper, appears to be a test for the Lobo secondary.

D1 QB + 3 D1 WRs.

Speaking of that. Mav fans, out of Tahj Washington, Savion Williams and Dekendrick bender... which would you say is the best one of the bunch?

Bender is a bad man. 

49 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

No turnovers Friday night Vs. Lee. In fact... neither team turned it over.

Lots of pass interference calls against us.  Some legit...some not.  I think it was 12 penalties for 98 yards.

I hate to call some of it home cooking....but some of it sure felt like it.

I think three drives were continued for Lee on what should have been punts on some suspicious calls.

Gotta clean that up.

Yea that’s typical Tyler lee at home, most of the refs are Tyler lee alumni or have ties to lee so yea, you see the point lol. Refs try to keep all of Lee’s game close until they see it ain’t working for lee then they just give up. And you think you seen some crazy calls just wait until Friday for jt and lee..  boy... lol 

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

How many games in our history have we had more passing yards than rushing?

I'm guessing not many at all. 

Only done under John King so far... but under King, out of 189 games..only 32 games has that happened (in 2007 we had two games where rushing and passing numbers ended exactly the same). 8 of those 32 games have come last season and the one game so far this year.

• Like 1

This should be a really good game for at least a half. I worry that Marshall will wear down in the second half against the superior size and depth of Longview. I think Marshall will match up well at the skill positions, but this game will be won in the trenches and Longview's Offensive Line will probably be too much for the Mavericks DL to handle for 4 quarters.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Lol.

"The catch" is not quite as funny as last year's but still hilarious. 

Another hilarious part of the audio from last year was the INT Haynes threw right after halftime.

"He throws it up in the air....noooooo" lmao

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1