Grapeland @ Crockett, Battle For Houston County.

CrockettDogs

I’ll put it this way, Crockett needs this win much more than Grapeland. Crockett had a tough year last year coming off one of the best seasons they had ever had and the heartbreaking way it ended. Then the tragic loss of a player is always tough on a school. 

The win last week (shorten or not) was big for Crockett. If they lose this game I don’t see them making the playoffs and if they do it is as a 4 seed and won’t do much.

Grapeland is in the smallest 11man division of football and has some real talent too. They are going to have a great season regardless of this outcome. They are at least a three round deep team.  Anything less with this team should be considered a loss.

I think Grapeland makes some big plays and stays close for a while. If they pull this one out they will really raise some eyebrows and you have to think they start looking like a true threat to win state. (Not saying they aren’t at this point already).  

Lovelady and Grapeland in a couple weeks should be a great one. It may even be a preview of a match up late in the playoffs.

With all of that I see this one being Crockett 42 - Grapeland 21. With it being 21-14 or so Crockett at the half.  

I can't believe they are playing each other.  This goes to show you the population decline in Crockett over the last 20 years.  This game would never have happened back in the 80's-90's-00's.  Many Crockett families have moved out to Grapeland or Lovelady.  When I was in Big Sandy a few years back, we played Lovelady in the playoffs and there were more than a few familiar names from Crockett's past.   Just driving through Crockett now is depressing from what is used to be.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings on this one. Playing each other in basketball is one thing, football is a different world. From the rivalry standpoint it will be fun, but I see nothing to gain from Crockett in playing this game. If they win? Great, they beat a 2A-D2 school. If they lose? Dear Lord have mercy...

They environment will be fun. The Jack will have more people than it has seen in a long time. Good luck to everyone involved...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

You’re right! Second game of the season Grapeland 26-22 over Lovelady. 

No it was the first game. LL had only played one scrimmage. And this game was a last minute add. LL was open week 1 and grapelands game got canceled. 

Grapeland was up 20-0 after 1st quarter. LL took the lead with like 2 to 3 minutes left grapeland hit a long pass to win it. 

LL looks better than we did last year and it sounds like grapeland is too. 

3 hours ago, Lion1996 said:

No it was the first game. LL had only played one scrimmage. And this game was a last minute add. LL was open week 1 and grapelands game got canceled. 

Grapeland was up 20-0 after 1st quarter. LL took the lead with like 2 to 3 minutes left grapeland hit a long pass to win it. 

Thanks for the clarification. I looked at Max Preps and saw the game listed second and didn’t realize the first game was a scrimmage. 

Sounds like the game was a battle and I’m sure it will be this year, too!

2 hours ago, Lion1996 said:

Knew it was a close one