2018 Coaches Corner

Stoney

Willie Taggert at FSU and Kevin Sumlin at Arizona....man, how bad have these starts at their new schools been?

How much is the buyout for Taggert? 1-2.  23 point loss to Syracuse, Samford had them one ropes and Virginia Tech just woodshedded them. 

Sumlin goes to Arizona and what seemed like a good fit. PAC-12, Khalil Tate at QB, lesser expectations. 0-2. 5 point loss to BYU, The Fightin’ Applewhites layed the smackdown on them. 

Coach of the Year candidate? It has to be a obvious choice with A&M ties. The guy has done a masterful job this year of awakening a sleeping giant. Can we say possible dark horse conference champs? This coach definitely deserves a raise. That’s right folks my coach of the year for Week 3 is.....

David Beaty at Kansas. Week 1 was bad. $500,000 to pay Nicholls State to come to Lawrence and beat you? That’s low. Snapping a 46 game losing streak in Week 2? Much better. Winning back to back games? They haven’t done that since 2011. 

20 hours ago, Stoney said:

Willie Taggert at FSU and Kevin Sumlin at Arizona....man, how bad have these starts at their new schools been?

How much is the buyout for Taggert? 1-2.  23 point loss to Syracuse, Samford had them one ropes and Virginia Tech just woodshedded them. 

Sumlin goes to Arizona and what seemed like a good fit. PAC-12, Khalil Tate at QB, lesser expectations. 0-2. 5 point loss to BYU, The Fightin’ Applewhites layed the smackdown on them. 

Coach of the Year candidate? It has to be a obvious choice with A&M ties. The guy has done a masterful job this year of awakening a sleeping giant. Can we say possible dark horse conference champs? This coach definitely deserves a raise. That’s right folks my coach of the year for Week 3 is.....

David Beaty at Kansas. Week 1 was bad. $500,000 to pay Nicholls State to come to Lawrence and beat you? That’s low. Snapping a 46 game losing streak in Week 2? Much better. Winning back to back games? They haven’t done that since 2011. 

Taggart has a #### roster, but I’ve never seen the hype of Willie Taggart either.  Sumlin is dealing with a bad roster too.  He at least has a qb, although after watching him some this year I think was grossly overrated.  

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Taggart has a #### roster, but I’ve never seen the hype of Willie Taggart either.  Sumlin is dealing with a bad roster too.  He at least has a qb, although after watching him some this year I think was grossly overrated.  

Khalil Tate is a athlete like Johnny was but he can’t throw. He’d have been a perfect fit for the Navy coaches triple option attack. But he turned it down cause he didn’t wanna get smacked on the pitch. Hire Sumlin and he’s still getting smacked. It’s just in the backfield out of the shotgun or pistol now.

I agree with you on Taggart. You look at his record and there’s a lot of mediocre with one 10 win season. 7 wins, 8 wins. That’s good enough to get you the FSU job? 

11 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Anybody expecting UCLA or Nebraska to be good this year were delusional.

The type of players that Frost and Kelly need to run there spread offense are either not on campus yet or they are true freshman.

I honestly thought Frost was inherenting a 6-6 roster.... I’m think more of 3-8 roster now

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Arizona was awful last season, but Tate was great.  Insert Sumlin, awful team with great QB is just awful again 😛 

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Arizona was awful last season, but Tate was great.  Insert Sumlin, awful team with great QB is just awful again 😛 

We’ve seen this with Sumlin before. Real stubborn to change his scheme to fit his team or a inability to force his staff to change their ways. Take your pick. Why are you putting your QB in situations on offense that doesn’t maximize his skills? He’s short like Johnny. He’s got moves like Johnny. He can’t throw like Johnny though. He’s not a passing QB. 

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

We’ve seen this with Sumlin before. Real stubborn to change his scheme to fit his team or a inability to force his staff to change their ways. Take your pick. Why are you putting your QB in situations on offense that doesn’t maximize his skills? He’s short like Johnny. He’s got moves like Johnny. He can’t throw like Johnny though. He’s not a passing QB. 

Bumlin will get the axe in 2 more years. Zona will give him enough time to royally make a mess.