Week Five: Longview at Rockwall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Rockwall Yellowjackets (2-1)  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Rockwall in a close one
    • Rockwall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/2018 at 12:30 AM

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

I was talking to someone about that earlier. I don't think Haynes has been sacked once this year.

13 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

No sacks this year so far

Credit to the o-line, certainly, but also credit Haynes King. Both his ability to read and recognize coverages and his mobility. The kid is playing 4-D chess out there. 

In his "worst" game this season (against Lufkin, the best defense we've seen thus far) he still had positive yards rushing. If I'm the DC, I'm telling my line to contain him but don't outright commit, unless it's a jailbreak blitz...  which isn't advisable. 

The best way to get to the young King is to do it with a four-man rush. Lufkin came the closest. 

Either that, or make the field wet and the ball slippery. That might help. 

On 9/22/2018 at 6:31 AM, TheFootballFan said:

Lobos... will win 85-84!

Hey! In all fairness, that's probably a more realistic prediction of the score based off of what I've seen and the analysis of Rockwall's defense. 

Never in my LIFE have I ever seen a Lobo defensive line get taken to the slaughterhouse like I seen last Friday against Ruston. I mean, we have an absoloute POROUS defensive line and our linebackers are equally as bad. Secondary, is doing a pretty decent job and thank God for Lister and Taylor. Now, Taylor ain't no Jalen Carr (God PLEASE reincarnate him SOMEHOW this Friday) but he is absolutely holding his own. 

Haynes King............................ This kid can be erratic sometimes and I have had my fair share of skepticism about Lobo QB's and deservingly so when it comes to PASSING. But, if this young man can add another 25 lbs. of pure muscle and can get that 40 time down 0.25 seconds by the time he graduates, there's no doubt that he'll be in the N.F.L.

Well, that's if he doesn't choose one of those schools like Northwestern Louisiana or ULM. I can absolutely see him signing with Louisiana Tech, though just with his roots and family being in Louisiana. I personally want ALL Lobos to sign with the Oklahoma Sooners but, he desreves to be at a MAJOR D-I school like L.S.U. if he decides to stay with his Louisiana roots.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quick said:

...but he desreves to be at a MAJOR D-I school like L.S.U. if he decides to stay with his Louisiana roots.

Indeed, he could help pioneer the forward pass there. Ed O has heard some good things, but still doesn't really understand it.  :woot:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

You must've missed 2016. Lol

Yeah. You're absolutely correct. Hey, this is just an honest question. And, before any of y'all start streaking up your underwear, just take acknowledgement of what has been going on the past few seasons as opposed to the norm and understand that while all change ain't necessarily good, changing FOR the good ain't a bad idea either. With that being said, do we need a change at our defensive line staff???

Good Idea, Bad Idea (Indifferent Idea Need Not Apply!) give your OPINIONS and SUPPORTING information to substantiate your opinion. Remember, for all of you who have PERSONAL relationships with Coordinators and staff need to take your EMOTIONS out of it and look at it objectively as if you have no ties or a "dog in the fight." Hard to take some of y'all serious if you have a bias that's going to slant your opinion no matter what.

The scheme we have is made for a bend, don't break type of defense. We're made to give up a ton of yards but hold when we get close to the goal line. That and force turnovers. 

Is what it is. I don't think we have the personnel, most years, to be a shut down defense with the way things are offensively now a days. 

But nothing is going to change unless they get hired by another team so not even really worth a long talk.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I was thinking Pflugerville 07

Goodness. I will be 90 years old and still won't forget the beating those 3 big tailbacks put on us that year. We had no chance from the moment the clock started.

IMHO a shutdown defense is taught not gifted 

Technique is an equalize and is not taught at any level anymore,teams opt for bull rush and go,ends don't read and keep outside shoulder free,linebackers don't read quickly and attack holes and beat blocks.longview has physical size and strength,maybe need work on reading keys and attacking ball better.but what do I know?I just a smoakster with a iPhone.lol 

• Thanks 1

Who are some of the best defenses in 6A right now, and what are the scores to their games? What about the quality of their opponents? What kinda schemes are being used in 6A to shut other teams down?

I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone at this level is playing "shutdown" defense anymore. It's just not possible unless you have a handful of very physically talented athletes who almost disrupt offenses themselves.