21. Atlanta - L 41-7 to Liberty-Eylau
22. George West - OFF
24. Orangefield - OFF
T25. Hitchcock - W 62-0 over Scarborough 
T25. Marion - W 55-6 over Hondo
T25 Pilot Point - L 21-0 to Gunter
T25. Mineola - W 26-14 over Big Sandy
T25. Tatum - W 64-36 over Hughes Springs

The "eye test" says Gladewater should be on top of Goliad.......and so should Yoakum for that matter.  Just look at the schedule each team has played and then go look at the filmclips and game recaps.  Don't get me wrong......Goliad and Brock are very good,  but from what I've seen I would say both Gladewater and Yoakum are better than Goliad and Brock.  And I'm a Goliad Tiger alum from many years ago......so I follow the team closely.  But I will add this......it's still very early in the season and lots can happen.  Goliad and Yoakum are in the same district......so that matchup is destined once in district play and then maybe again in the playoffs for that region title.  Goliad has a HUGE upside with all their weapons and Morris at qb......and so does Brock with their overall experience and lines.  Lots of potential for all of these teams.

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

The "eye test" says Gladewater should be on top of Goliad.......and so should Yoakum for that matter.  Just look at the schedule each team has played and then go look at the filmclips and game recaps.  Don't get me wrong......Goliad and Brock are very good,  but from what I've seen I would say both Gladewater and Yoakum are better than Goliad and Brock.  And I'm a Goliad Tiger alum from many years ago......so I follow the team closely.  But I will add this......it's still very early in the season and lots can happen.  Goliad and Yoakum are in the same district......so that matchup is destined once in district play and then maybe again in the playoffs for that region title.  Goliad has a HUGE upside with all their weapons and Morris at qb......and so does Brock with their overall experience and lines.  Lots of potential for all of these teams.

Scary thing is I expect GW to continue to get better. They are playing sophomores at several key positions. The Qb and Rb are both sophomores as well as the lineman who was hurt Friday night. Injuries or lack of them may determine who ends up the better team come playoff time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Come on he put them at #2... No one else has them ranked that high....

If you just watch alot of high school football you can readily see the quality of both Gladewater and Yoakum.......it's not Rocket Science.  Yes.....both Goliad and Brock are very formidable. Both are loaded with their own weapons and have tons of potential.  Goliad has undoubtedly one of the best qb's in Class 3A with lots of weapons to go to......and Brock has those lines and experience.  But Gladewater and Yoakum are both playing to a very high level so early against better competition......and winning!!!  They look like SC teams late in the season......and it's still early in the season right now.  It will be fun to see how everything washes out in Class 3A......in both divisions.  Lots of high quality teams in 3A in both divisions.......it will be a war of attrition in the playoffs for sure.  

22 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

If you just watch alot of high school football you can readily see the quality of both Gladewater and Yoakum.......it's not Rocket Science.  Yes.....both Goliad and Brock are very formidable. Both are loaded with their own weapons and have tons of potential.  Goliad has undoubtedly one of the best qb's in Class 3A with lots of weapons to go to......and Brock has those lines and experience.  But Gladewater and Yoakum are both playing to a very high level so early against better competition......and winning!!!  They look like SC teams late in the season......and it's still early in the season right now.  It will be fun to see how everything washes out in Class 3A......in both divisions.  Lots of high quality teams in 3A in both divisions.......it will be a war of attrition in the playoffs for sure.  

I don't think Div 2 has much drama on who the favorite is. Newton is head and shoulders above.

Unlike in Div 1 where the debate has many good teams in it

Yoakum has been playing the big boys and you have to respect that.  They did lose by 20 to a good Boerne team but did beat Cuero.  The wins over Needville and Gonzales would be considered quality wins. 

Goliad has not played quite the schedule, did did steam roll both George West and Refugio.  I'm not sure how good Refugio is quite yet.  We will know more when the play Mart this Friday.  I still think there is a good chance we could see Edna at more of the 10-15 range and Yoakum and Goliad somewhere in the top 8, but we will see.  

Gladewater has the most impressive resume in the state.  

Can anyone really prevent Brock from getting to the semifinals?

6 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

They went 10-0 last year then got beat round 1 I think everyone has a wait and see type thing on them until the playoffs although it seems they have as much talent as anyone

Naw. We lost a district game to White Oak, then lost in the second round of the playoffs to Whitesboro. We return a lot from that team. I think the sky is the limit for this group.

3 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

They went 10-0 last year then got beat round 1 I think everyone has a wait and see type thing on them until the playoffs although it seems they have as much talent as anyone

They went 9-1 last year their lone loss to WO. They had more talent than us last year but we put a lot of pressure on the QB and made him miss some passes. Their problem the last couple of years was the line really and they were still young. It seems Jefferson has a better line and the skill pos players have more experience. They should be a lot better this year than the last couple. I look for Jefferson to possibly win district and make a run in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, MrDontPlay said:

Naw. We lost a district game to White Oak, then lost in the second round of the playoffs to Whitesboro. We return a lot from that team. I think the sky is the limit for this group.

Yes Jefferson is much improved from the last couple years. Dee isn’t messing around this year. 

• Thanks 1

Week 5 Rankings
1. Gladewater - W 44-37 over Pleasant Grove
2. Brock- 20-9 Over Breck
3. Goliad- W 20-8 Over Rockport-Fulton
4. Edna - W 14-6 over East Bernard
5. Franklin - OFF
6. Yoakum- W 42-21 Needville
7. Woodville - OFF
8. Diboll - W 9-6 over Liberty
9. Cameron Yoe- L 22-21 to Giddings
10. Grandview- W 28-7 over Malakoff