You decide: penalty or no penalty

MrBuddyGarrity

There's a difference between celebrating and taunting.

I personally have no problem with a few high-steps as you cross the goal line, raise index finger a couple seconds, even the players doing the college bump/jump or whatever it's called on the way back to the sidelines.  If it was easy to play the game & score TD's everyone would do it.  Let the kids celebrate a job well done for little bit.  Pretty soon thery're going to throw the flag for high-5'ing your team mates.

Now if the scoring player raises the index finger in the opposing players face - not cool.  Getting in the opposing players face and talking smack after a score - not cool.  Hanging out in the end zone doing continuous celebrations or rehearsed "dances" - not cool.  IMHO, those deserve an unsportsmanlike and yes, I wouldn't necessarily argue with the TD being called back.  For me ejecting or suspending a kid for doing that is excessive.  I think wiping out the TD would send a strong message and I'm sure the player would hear about it from the coaches as well.  Reserve the ejecting or suspending for acts of physical violence like targeting, helmet to helmet, excessively roughing the passer/punter and other cheap shots.

How do the handle this at the next level?  The little bit of college ball I watch, I've seen those player get away with a little more than high schoolers, but not allowed to go as far as the pro's.  Maybe make NCAA practices the same at high school games?  After all aren't they all student-athletes?

22 minutes ago, Vandalman said:

I like watching the kids celebrate a little. Fist bumps, chest bumps and all those rehearsed handshakes lol. Just adds to the fun of the game to me. There's an obvious difference between taunting and celebrating.

One of the funniest things...American football fans like to call Soccer a soft sport a bunch of divers and cry babies...yet in soccer you see some of the most extravagant, orchestrated and funny celebrations in the sports world. No one on the other team complains or get into fights. No fanbases go whine on the internet about how they were mean and danced after they scored. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

On 9/26/2018 at 6:53 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

I can get on board with wiping out the TD for taunting. Adding it on the kickoff won't do much of anything. Most kickers can still place the ball really deep, or at least to the point that the penalty would be pretty useless. 

That said, this is a horrible application of the rule and if that's going to be a rule you have to have officials call it correctly.

For EXCESSIVE taunting or celebration, yes. But not for a forefinger or highstepping. Like a lot of people in here say about running up the score - If you don't like it, play better defense.

Horrific call.  Absolutely terrible.

There is no problem with celebrating.  It's a tough game.  Guys should feel good when they make a good play.  Embrace it.

There should be no taunting.  This was not taunting.  Not even close.

Referee should be suspended...