Should more be done?

BigFanOf22

From what I understand the University player was suspended for the rest of this game and a half of another.   Should a greater suspension be placed on this player? From what I read the other player was given a concussion from the impact of his helmet hitting the ground.   

News report.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Videos-of-attack-on-freshman-football-player-go-viral-494438241.html

video.

16 minutes ago, coachkells said:

From what I understand the University player was suspended for the rest of this game and a half of another.   Should a greater suspension be placed on this player? From what I read the other player was given a concussion from the impact of his helmet hitting the ground.   

News report.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Videos-of-attack-on-freshman-football-player-go-viral-494438241.html

video.

If I'm his coach, I throw him off the team. 

If I'm the father of the kid he attacked, I press charges and file a lawsuit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, coachkells said:

News report.

video.

Wow!  He has to be kicked off the team at least. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Reading the story they say he (university player) was choking the kid as he stood over him before he was kicked, but there are always two side to every story.  

Looks like the kid on the ground was either trying to defend himself or maybe starting to flail around because of the choke. The kid who finished it went too far. Regardless of who started it, he now looks like the bad guy.

For me..... If the other player started it, he gets a game or two suspension (not considering possible injuries at this point) for unsportsmanlike behavior. If he didn't start it, no sanctions obviously. The U kid gets kicked off the team permanently, ISS and better hope he doesn't have assault charges filed on him. With their poor W/L record of late, this is the last thing University's fb program needs. This isn't a small  hallway fight that can be contained inside school walls. It's out there for the public to see and negative publicity for the school.

After watching this play frame by frame.....you can see what actually occurred here. The Waco University player #76 did a take down and body slam of the assaulted player.....not a legal block.  Then he continued slamming the player against the ground.....at which point the assaulted player kicked #76 in self defense. At this time #76 began punching the kid....outweighing him by at least one hundred pounds.  This is an outright assault and the University player has no place participating in any UIL sporting events......end of story.  In addition, charges should be filed against him and appropriate measures taken to ensure he receives the kind of punishment any other person would receive in this kind of scenario.  #76 is a bully.......he did not block the player, but did a take down and body slam to instigate the entire episode.  The assaulted player was completely innocent and only defending himself against this bully.   Like I said before.......put him in a cage to fight a champion and let's see how he likes it with someone his size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

But he said he was sorry after the game and shook the other player’s hand!  😂  I think the AD should have imposed a stiffer punishment than ejection from this game and a half from the next game.  This was pretty flagrant.  Maybe the coach did and we just don’t know about it.  I’m not in favor of filing assault charges and having the kid arrested.  He is 13-14 years old.  However the coach better put him on a short leash because if it happens again the player, coach, AD & Superintendent will be in some very deep hot water.

• Thanks 1

Quoting from the story on the KWTX website... 

"We hold our student athletes to the highest standards here and we don't condone any irresponsible or bad behavior,” Waco ISD Athletics Director Johnny Tusa said Wednesday.

“We took swift action according to the UIL guidelines and punished accordingly and we are satisfied with our outcome."

"(The University player) did shake hands with the boy after the game and told him he was sorry,” Tusa said.

Asked if he was concerned about the Burleson student who suffered the concussion, Tusa said, "It is my responsibility to be concerned about our players, not others in other school districts."

Punished accordingly.  Really?  The last sentence is a real gem, too.  Way to be classy.  SMH

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

UIL will get involved if mother of injured player wants to press it to next level.  Three similar issues in same game points to a larger issue in the program.

UIL doesn't take it lightly when the integrity of the game or safety of the player comes into question. 

He don’t look as tough as thinks bearing down on a player half his size. As a parent i wouldn’t file charges but he would be kicked off the team and the AD should be questioned to why this and the other #### went on. It don’t seem to be just one player on this team with this attitude 

• Like 2