Chapel Hill Program

Stankylegg

1 hour ago, Stankylegg said:

I don’t know how to find the answer.  I wasn’t in the room when the coaches were interviewed.  You hear administration talk about things with this positive attitude.  

I just refuse to accept mediocrity and act happy about it.  It’s not doing any of these kids any good to learn to accept losing.    If I say I’m frustrated at how things are going and some changes are needed, I’m shunned for not “supporting the boys.”  This is just a nonsense argument that leads to a downward spiral. At some point we have to get real and determine what the real problem is, and then we have to fix it.   And I’m sick of hearing people blame it on talent level.  I played on a very successful team and CH, so I know what talent it takes to win, and the kids on the field now are good enough to compete at shifter level than they are currently. Something is just not working, and I don’t know what it is.

And with this downward spiral, athletes that are trying to get to the next level will leave and find other opportunities where there talent is exploited and they can get a little attention. 

We have several athletes that will do good at the next level (wr’s Williams and Thomas) yet we don’t exploit there talent and get the ball in there hands. We start the games with a open mind but it soon shuts down to the same ole same ole play calling. It’s like they don’t know what play to call so they revert to the same ole same ole. That’s when the kids attitudes go to ####. They all want the ball in there hands instead of simply going through the motions. 

24 minutes ago, JugLine said:

And with this downward spiral, athletes that are trying to get to the next level will leave and find other opportunities where there talent is exploited and they can get a little attention. 

We have several athletes that will do good at the next level (wr’s Williams and Thomas) yet we don’t exploit there talent and get the ball in there hands. We start the games with a open mind but it soon shuts down to the same ole same ole play calling. It’s like they don’t know what play to call so they revert to the same ole same ole. That’s when the kids attitudes go to ####. They all want the ball in there hands instead of simply going through the motions. 

Sounds like a lot of selfishness going on with your last 2 sentences.  CH won’t fix its problems on Smoaky.  Have you tried to sit down with the coach and express your concerns?  That’s a start. 

1 minute ago, ETxFB299 said:

Sounds like a lot of selfishness going on with your last 2 sentences.  CH won’t fix its problems on Smoaky.  Have you tried to sit down with the coach and express your concerns?  That’s a start. 

I don’t think Jug expects to fix it all on smoaky.  Just sharing his thoughts and trying to get opinions from others.   Jug is a lot like me and just doesn’t like losing, and doesn’t like the current trend.  Also,  I know Jug is very willing to sit down with the coach.  As am I.  Maybe we already have.

This forum is to talk sports good and bad and that means problems will get discussed on here.  Don’t think that means we want to try and fix things on smoaky, or that we are starting a witch hunt for the coaches, or that we think we know the absolute answer.   I started this thread to get opinions of other fans in an environment where they could truly speak their mind.  A lot of folks won’t tell you how they really feel in the stands on Friday night, because they might lose some friends.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, that’s just the way some folks are.

So at the end of the day we have a team that isn’t performing the way the community would like them to perform, and there are several reasons that I’ve heard as to why this is the case.  I just want to explore this on here and see what others thoughts and ideas are.

You say meet with the coach, which is a great step towards addressing concerns, and I agree should be done.

1 hour ago, ETxFB299 said:

I totally agree it makes it sound like a lot of selfish players. Let me rephrase. These kids are straight up competitive. They are very talented no doubt. They would like to given the chance to compete other than 3-5 attempts per game. 

• Like 1

Im just curious what some of the Chill faithful think about Coach Hooker and the overall direction of the program. I personally think a coach needs 5 years to really get a good idea about what his way of thinking can do for a football program. It seems to me that Surratt and Traylor have made some folks in the area a little dillusional lately. I mostly follow Kilgore and Longview and I'll admit I have been one of the one's that have said in the past i felt like Longview should have had a state championship by now, but on the whole, Longview is in great shape as a program. 

Kilgore is in the middle of a miserable season, something their fans are not used to, and to hear some of them talk, there are actually people that want to take a staff that has had maybe 2-3 losing seasons in 25 years and clean house. It's just crazy to me to hear some of the people talk about certain programs, when there are those out there like       C-Hill and others in the area that seem to have trouble getting it together every year. If every coach from Kilgore decided to put in at Chapel Hill next year, I'm sure there would be a welcoming party at the fieldhouse for those same coaches that some Kilgore fans are ready to run out of town. 

I have to admit, that drama is part of what makes sports so interesting to me, and it's fascinating how some coaches can have trouble in one place and be run out of town, then go somewhere else and be the best thing that's happened to that program. I'm not bashing any coaches or fan bases, I'm just genuinely curious what the perspective of the Chill folks is. Chapel Hill has always had athletes for as long as i can remember. I think they'll be back and wish them luck.

• Like 1

They just don't have the talent. Transfers to area schools have killed Chapel Hill. It's not Coach Hooker per say. This started the year before he got there. Now his offense is very very VERY simple, but they don't have players. They have a receiver, a back, and a qb. They do not have an o line. Haven't had one in 3 years.

1 hour ago, Alpha99 said:

Im just curious what some of the Chill faithful think about Coach Hooker and the overall direction of the program. I personally think a coach needs 5 years to really get a good idea about what his way of thinking can do for a football program. It seems to me that Surratt and Traylor have made some folks in the area a little dillusional lately. I mostly follow Kilgore and Longview and I'll admit I have been one of the one's that have said in the past i felt like Longview should have had a state championship by now, but on the whole, Longview is in great shape as a program. 

Kilgore is in the middle of a miserable season, something their fans are not used to, and to hear some of them talk, there are actually people that want to take a staff that has had maybe 2-3 losing seasons in 25 years and clean house. It's just crazy to me to hear some of the people talk about certain programs, when there are those out there like       C-Hill and others in the area that seem to have trouble getting it together every year. If every coach from Kilgore decided to put in at Chapel Hill next year, I'm sure there would be a welcoming party at the fieldhouse for those same coaches that some Kilgore fans are ready to run out of town. 

I have to admit, that drama is part of what makes sports so interesting to me, and it's fascinating how some coaches can have trouble in one place and be run out of town, then go somewhere else and be the best thing that's happened to that program. I'm not bashing any coaches or fan bases, I'm just genuinely curious what the perspective of the Chill folks is. Chapel Hill has always had athletes for as long as i can remember. I think they'll be back and wish them luck.

While i understand having 5 yrs will help with a lot but the things i see are fixable immediately. We do have more talent then you mention but we can’t seem to put a game plan together to exploit our talent other than a run game. I was so pumped in the second half of the Bullard game. They opened the playbook and everyone got the ball. Well balanced. Of course Bullard doesn’t have the D compared to the other teams we have played. From a fans perspective it’s almost like the play callers second guess themselves especially when we get way behind. It seems we go into conservative mode and go back to the same 2 or 3 plays. What is strange is that they practice with a open playbook and it looks great. It’s just don’t seem to rollover to the game. Maybe they are saving it for district but these players need confidence now. There has been defenses calling our plays in the second half and it humiliates our offensive players. That ain’t right. We have the talent to make the playoffs in this very competitive district. Hoping this off week they are able to gather themselves and come out strong against Kilgore. Sadly if we don’t change our game plan we will only have one win on the Season. Bullard 20-19

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TrenchMob said:

They just don't have the talent. Transfers to area schools have killed Chapel Hill. It's not Coach Hooker per say. This started the year before he got there. Now his offense is very very VERY simple, but they don't have players. They have a receiver, a back, and a qb. They do not have an o line. Haven't had one in 3 years.

Yes they do. 

35 minutes ago, JugLine said:

While i understand having 5 yrs will help with a lot but the things i see are fixable immediately. We do have more talent then you mention but we can’t seem to put a game plan together to exploit our talent other than a run game. I was so pumped in the second half of the Bullard game. They opened the playbook and everyone got the ball. Well balanced. Of course Bullard doesn’t have the D compared to the other teams we have played. From a fans perspective it’s almost like the play callers second guess themselves especially when we get way behind. It seems we go into conservative mode and go back to the same 2 or 3 plays. What is strange is that they practice with a open playbook and it looks great. It’s just don’t seem to rollover to the game. Maybe they are saving it for district but these players need confidence now. There has been defenses calling our plays in the second half and it humiliates our offensive players. That ain’t right. We have the talent to make the playoffs in this very competitive district. Hoping this off week they are able to gather themselves and come out strong against Kilgore. Sadly if we don’t change our game plan we will only have one win on the Season. Bullard 20-19

You are right about that. Discipline and gameplans are areas that should be able to be seen early on in a coach's tenure. Coaching is a profession that is easy to second guess yourself, or overthink a situation. I don't know anything about Chapel Hill this year, and I know there are probably some players that do transfer to area schools, (Obviously the QB this year), but Chapel Hill still has some athletes. I watched them last year and I know they didn't lose everybody. Hopefully it will start clicking for you guys.

5 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

You are right about that. Discipline and gameplans are areas that should be able to be seen early on in a coach's tenure. Coaching is a profession that is easy to second guess yourself, or overthink a situation. I don't know anything about Chapel Hill this year, and I know there are probably some players that do transfer to area schools, (Obviously the QB this year), but Chapel Hill still has some athletes. I watched them last year and I know they didn't lose everybody. Hopefully it will start clicking for you guys.

Which QB? We have two that alternate series

16 minutes ago, JugLine said:

Which QB? We have two that alternate series

I was referring to the QB from last year that transferred. I was talking about the fact that I know you guys have lost some to other schools, but on the whole Chill still has good athletes.

12 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

I was referring to the QB from last year that transferred. I was talking about the fact that I know you guys have lost some to other schools, but on the whole Chill still has good athletes.

👍

17 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

Hope that is not the start of a trend around here. 

8 hours ago, TrenchMob said:

This is false.  There has been 1 transfer, and #8 can throw much better than griffin could anyway. That position isn’t the issue.  The o-line has the size and strength.  Talent is not the issue by a long shot.  It’s an excuse predominately used by coaches. 

2 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

This is false.  There has been 1 transfer, and #8 can throw much better than griffin could anyway. That position isn’t the issue.  The o-line has the size and strength.  Talent is not the issue by a long shot.  It’s an excuse predominately used by coaches. 

I wasn’t a huge fan of the qb that transferred. IMO he was in the wrong position. He doesn’t have a arm unless it’s throwing the fade and hoping for the best. He was a selfish one man show that made our offense one dementional. Too easy for defenses to defend. I was excited about that jv qb last year. As a jv team they threw the ball 75% of the time. I was hoping CH would finally get a decent air attack but that hasn’t unfolded yet as they haven’t given him any seat time to speak of. 

Saw film of Chapel Hill's game last week in Texarkana. This is just one man's opinion. Their talent is way down from what I saw. The kids they have don't appear to be focused or playing hard. You get beat 49-0 when you don't show up. Don't blame the coaches. Hooker was on a staff that won state championships in 1999 and 2006.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Saw film of Chapel Hill's game last week in Texarkana. This is just one man's opinion. Their talent is way down from what I saw. The kids they have don't appear to be focused or playing hard. You get beat 49-0 when you don't show up. Don't blame the coaches. Hooker was on a staff that won state championships in 1999 and 2006.

Our best threat Williams #23 (13 D1 offers) has 211 receiving yards after 5 games. Our second best threat #5 Thomas has 255 yards Our other great receiver #13 Warren has 111 yards after 5 games. #8 QB isn’t being utilized to distribute the ball. You can blame the oline all you want but look at #8 highlights. Kid has plenty of time in the pocket. All this being said, imo we do not utilize our talent. But what’s strange is i know we can do it. I’ve seen them spread the ball to all the talent using #8 but the next game we go back to the same ole same ole basic offense  

That Spanish kid Simon is one of the better athletes on the field but he never gets in. Wr, punt return; safety something. Utilize the talent imo. Our secondary is terrible. Try something different. QB#2 is one of the best ball carriers we have. Get him on the field at H back. He can run, block, and catch good. Just another weapon on the field and it would allow our linebackers to have a break. Let #8 stand in the pocket and spread the ball to any weapon. We are in desperation mode at this point. 

Think about this. Athens scores 84 pts on Bullard. We scored 0 in the first half and 20 total on them. Def a lot more athletes on the field compared to Bullard. Something isn’t jiving here.