Chapel Hill Program

Stankylegg

I noticed where at least one (Pecos) contacted him (among others) last spring to see if he was interested in their job.

Must have turned them down.

Has been successful at most places ... not sure why he moved around quickly though.

JOSH FINNEY
8 years; 66-28-0; 8-7-0

—staff, Waskom—
2006  Maud                      7-4-0 C
2007  Maud                    11-3-0*
2008  Maud                    12-1-0*
2009  Maud                      7-4-0*
2010  Teague                   7-4-0 T
             —staff, Mesquite ISD—
2012  Hull-Daisetta           7-4-0*
2013  Hull-Daisetta           4-7-0*
             ---staff, Mount Vernon---
2017  Mount Vernon       11-1-0*

1 minute ago, DOB said:

I noticed where at least one (Pecos) contacted him (among others) last spring to see if he was interested in their job.

Must have turned them down.

Has been successful at most places ... not sure why he moved around quickly though.

JOSH FINNEY
8 years; 66-28-0; 8-7-0

—staff, Waskom—
2006  Maud                      7-4-0 C
2007  Maud                    11-3-0*
2008  Maud                    12-1-0*
2009  Maud                      7-4-0*
2010  Teague                   7-4-0 T
             —staff, Mesquite ISD—
2012  Hull-Daisetta           7-4-0*
2013  Hull-Daisetta           4-7-0*
             ---staff, Mount Vernon---
2017  Mount Vernon       11-1-0*

Thanks for posting I was just looking at this.  Not sure how I missed the rest of his resume before.  🧐 It also looks like he was on staff at Groveton, Lone Oak & Mesquite Poteet as well.  Based on feedback from the kids that have played for him, he has the “IT” factor.  He is a great leader and knows how to get the most out of the kids.

I know the fans are upset and want to win but I don’t think coaching is the issue at Chapel Hill. Their last coach went to 2 state championships in a row (winning the 2nd one) and slightly declined each year after.  I seen one person say the demographics have drastically changed.  

Let me ask you this.....what are y’all looking like in other sports?  Is it just football that’s bad?  

On 11/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, Eagleborn said:

Depends. 3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn’t work at every school. 

Kinda depends on WHOSE dust you are yardin' .... never underestimate the power of Comparative Advantage.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:32 AM, ETxFB299 said:

I know the fans are upset and want to win but I don’t think coaching is the issue at Chapel Hill. Their last coach went to 2 state championships in a row (winning the 2nd one) and slightly declined each year after.  I seen one person say the demographics have drastically changed.  

Let me ask you this.....what are y’all looking like in other sports?  Is it just football that’s bad?  

Just kinda bouncing the basketball around the net, it appears last year they were in the playoffs but lost in the first round.

So far this year, I see that they lost of Texas High 100-65 and Nac 82-46.

21 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

As a HC/AD?  You obviously know where I coming from.  If you were a decision maker at 4A D1 Chapel Hill would you give him a call?

I’ve been keeping tabs on him, and a few others.  Winona has a coach that is impressive to me.  I watched them upset a 1st place, district championship, Cooper team last week.  Cooper’s coach was the DC for Gunter last year in their state title run.  Harmony, Teneha, Kemp, Bremond all have coaches that I think could make the jump to a larger class and still be successful, just to name a few. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 6:20 AM, Stankylegg said:

I’ve been keeping tabs on him, and a few others.  Winona has a coach that is impressive to me.  I watched them upset a 1st place, district championship, Cooper team last week.  Cooper’s coach was the DC for Gunter last year in their state title run.  Harmony, Teneha, Kemp, Bremond all have coaches that I think could make the jump to a larger class and still be successful, just to name a few. 

Choose wisely ... I have seen some that made the transition and some that couldn't ... having coached from 2A to 6A, I noticed that when you went to a school twice as big, the problems and issues didn't just double – they increased exponentially ... for several reasons

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 7:42 AM, DOB said:

Choose wisely ... I have seen some that made the transition and some that couldn't ... having coached from 2A to 6A, I noticed that when you went to a school twice as big, the problems and issues didn't just double – they increased exponentially ... for several reasons

I would rather risk that than select a losing record coach at at CH’s current class, which is what was done with Hooker.  

On 11/22/2018 at 8:32 AM, ETxFB299 said:

It wasn’t a decline ever year.  4 years ago CH was 4 rounds deep playing Kilgore, who made a state appearance that year.  Our demographics aren’t much different than Henderson, Longview, John Tyler.  CH should be winning.  As I said before, Hooker isn’t even present for most of the offseason workouts. 

22 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

Other sports are competitive.  Also, it wasn’t a decline ever year.  4 years ago CH was 4 rounds deep playing Kilgore, who made a state appearance that year.  Our demographics aren’t much different than Henderson, Longview, John Tyler.  CH should be winning.  Coaching is much to blame,  As I said before, Hooker isn’t even present for most of the offseason workouts. 

That sounds like Palestine's AD

On 9/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, Stankylegg said:

I don’t know how to find the answer.  I wasn’t in the room when the coaches were interviewed.  You hear administration talk about things with a positive attitude.  

I just refuse to accept mediocrity and act happy about it.  It’s not doing any of these kids any good to learn to accept losing.    If I say I’m frustrated at how things are going and some changes are needed, I’m shunned for not “supporting the boys.”  This is just a nonsense argument that leads to a downward spiral. At some point we have to get real and determine what the real problem is, and then we have to fix it.   And I’m sick of hearing people blame it on talent level.  I played on a very successful team at CH, so I know what talent it takes to win, and the kids on the field now are good enough to compete at a higher level than they are currently. Something is just not working, and I don’t know what it is.

Give ‘em Hell, Stanky...👏

On 12/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, playactionpass39 said:

Looked to me like you had a QB issue, oh that's right he was playing at Brook Hill.

Kids leaving the program, or just not playing is a sign of something significant being wrong with the Culture of a program.

JMHO.

I'll take one like this ...

ray.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, Eagleborn said:

with Chapel Hill's size and known for having big linemen, pounding the rock is ideal imo for them. Chapel Hill usually lacks those big play Receivers.

1 hour ago, DOB said:

I'll take one like this ...

ray.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is what every coach is looking for. Unfortunately, those are very uncommon.

It is very rare for your best athletes, your best players, to be the be the best teammates.

This type of unselfish behavior is a product of how he was raised. His dad (head coach at Channelview) taught him this humility.

Most great players are told how good they are from a very young age, they are told they deserve special treatment and shouldn't havve to work as hard as everybody else because they are gifted. 

2 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I'm pretty sure that is what every coach is looking for. Unfortunately, those are very uncommon.

It is very rare for your best athletes, your best players, to be the be the best teammates.

This type of unselfish behavior is a product of how he was raised. His dad (head coach at Channelview) taught him this humility.

Most great players are told how good they are from a very young age, they are told they deserve special treatment and shouldn't havve to work as hard as everybody else because they are gifted. 

Unless they came from IMG.....and well there the 3rd stringer has a D1 scholarship and he don't even have to play .....Hurts will get drafted and be fresh as can be going into the NFL

On 11/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, Eagleborn said:

He (Coach Finney) was also successful at Maud and Teague running the spread, RPO/Read option type of offense. He changed because of the type of athletes he had at Mt. Vernon and Hull Daisetta. Gotta have the right kind of QB to run the spread effectively or it gets ugly real quick!!!   

1 hour ago, blesseddaily said:

He (Coach Finney) was also successful at Maud and Teague running the spread, RPO/Read option type of offense. He changed because of the type of athletes he had at Mt. Vernon and Hull Daisetta. Gotta have the right kind of QB to run the spread effectively or it gets ugly real quick!!!   

That is critical in High School, you have to be able to adjust to what you have.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:17 AM, playactionpass39 said:

It is kind of like not having man-to-man corners, but you want to play man-to-man in the secondary and bring pressure up front. You better develop the skills necessary to play man.

To do this type of thing, you have to actually show up for your varsity squads athletic period during the off-season and invest in the kids.  Be around during the “voluntary” summer workouts, 7 on 7, etc.  Word on the street is that Hooker will be reassigned in January, so a new coach looks to be on the horizon for the dogs. 

8 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

To do this type of thing, you have to actually show up for your varsity squads athletic period during the off-season and invest in the kids.  Be around during the “voluntary” summer workouts, 7 on 7, etc.  Hooker doesn’t put the time in.  Word on the street is that he will be reassigned in January, so a new coach looks to be on the horizon for the dogs. 

Sounds like the same problem Bowman had in Center. I've heard after the season he was not around the majority of the time. It is amazing to me that these coaches think they can do whatever they want with no understanding of the impact it has on the team. You expect the kids to show up and work every day and you expect your assistant coaches to show up and work every day, but as the Head Coach you can do whatever you want? Not the way to set the example and establish a winning TEAM culture.