Chapel Hill Program

Stankylegg

12 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

Discipline, attitude, effort.  Those are the areas I question the most with the current program.  I see things Castles and Sitton would have never allowed. 

Hooker has made a big statement this week with attitude. Plenty of gassers being ran and even a few sitting on the sideline for awhike. 

13 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

This is false.  There has been 1 transfer, and #8 can throw much better than griffin could anyway. That position isn’t the issue.  The o-line has the size and strength.  Talent is not the issue by a long shot.  It’s an excuse predominately used by coaches. 

I'm not talking about just High School kids transfering Dawg! Look at ya'lls talent base, and look at all the private schools, Arp, Troup, Whitehouse, Lee, JT, Winona, Big Sandy, and many many other schools drawing from the same well. The O line has been BAD the last 3 years.... maybe it has miraculously cured abilities this year.

2 minutes ago, JugLine said:

It doesn’t help the oline that the opposing defenses knows where the ball is going. 

Wait, Help? So 3 seasons ago what was the issue? Last season what was the issue with a brand new offense? Come on MAN! You can get on here and bash, but be Real! 

26 minutes ago, TrenchMob said:

Wait, Help? So 3 seasons ago what was the issue? Last season what was the issue with a brand new offense? Come on MAN! You can get on here and bash, but be Real! 

All i know is i witnessed kids coming off the field with tears from humiliation. When asked what is wrong they said the defense is calling our plays. You obvisouly are on here to defend the staff bringing up three years ago several times and that’s great but I’m just calling like it is. 

On 9/30/2018 at 2:32 PM, JugLine said:

Chasing rabbits here but I’ve been around some Robert e lee football this year and what i see is almost remarkable.  

It don’t matter if we are talking about the 9th grade b team or the varsity, all players are expected to act the same. If traylor can, he makes all thurs home games and he holds the players and the coaches just as accountable as the varsity. The kids are on the sideline as a group and a bunch of them. Just the 9th grade B team has 70+\- kids. He will be in the face of a 2nd string b teamer just as he would a varsity star. I was shocked at the involvement. All levels run like a well oiled machine. If a player is chatting while standing around not involved they are questioned. The result is a pile of kids cheering the team on every play. It is impressive. You might say well they have a lot more coaches but the number is kids per coach is the same as any school. The entire high school squad is expected to make every tutorial even if the player has straight A’s. If you miss, you are stressed on the field to a point you won’t miss another one. These kids wouldn’t second guess themselves on being lazy or disrespectful  because they know the punishment is coming there way hard.  When a kid is called on or the team they are sprinting to there coach. I’ve never witnessed anything like it.  

All that being said, he is building a program starting With the young boys that will open some eyes in the near future. 

All varsity coaches at Carthage including Surratt and Preston are on sidelines for home 9th & JV games most of the time.  Surratt stays back and watches but Preston is very involved in coaching the kids on defense.

50 minutes ago, JugLine said:

All i know is i witnessed kids coming off the field with tears from humiliation. When asked what is wrong they said the defense is calling our plays. You obvisouly are on here to defend the staff bringing up three years ago several times and that’s great but I’m just calling like it is. 

# years ago until now is the problem. Is the offense simple? Yes. The reason why the offense changed to this though, is because the talent base fell out, and the entire staff left.

11 minutes ago, TrenchMob said:

# years ago until now is the problem. Is the offense simple? Yes. The reason why the offense changed to this though, is because the talent base fell out, and the entire staff left.

You maybe right. But explain the second half in the Whitehouse and Bullard games. They opened up the playbook and we looked good. Why can’t we continue that instead of reverting back to the same ole same ole. I know this staff can do it. They proved that. But why isn’t the consistency there every week. I’m simply talking about play calling. The biggest diff is they can open the play book up with QB#8. But we revert back to the basic. It just doesn’t make sense and to be honest nobody in the community gets it. From the head honcho down to us fans and the players. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 11:29 AM, TrenchMob said:

You sure defend the coaches. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 9:39 PM, ETxFB299 said:

Well who do you guys want as your coach?  I will admit I was surprised they hired the Brownsboro coach.   

Who are the quality coaches in East Texas?  Gilmer struggling and their fans want to fire their coach.  

Kilgore is struggling. 

Texas High is struggling. 

Nac has been struggling for some time. 

Center is struggling. 

Maybe it’s the kids and not the coaches??  Where do you find good coaches and how do you get them to stay?  

Other successful programs and $$$

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 9:34 PM, Stankylegg said:

I would disagree with the timing of when it happened. More like 2014 season.  In 2013 CH went 4 rounds and lost to Kilgore in their route to the title game against Carthage.  CH had a very good team that year.  It just seems to me like other programs seem to be able to consistently win with maybe an occasional down year.  CH seems to be on a consistent below average trend with an occasional glimpse of potential greatness.  I’ve heard people blame it on participation rate, talent level, coaching, play calling, administration, demographics, private schools, transfers, etc.  Why can Kilgore, Carthage, Henderson, Gilmer, Tatum, Longview, JT, and several others make it happen, but not CH?

Why did CH have such trouble finding a coach?  4 candidates withdrew their name after making the cut.  

I remember going to the to the games in 2004-2015.  There was a winning expectation, packed house, lots of support, great atmosphere, playoffs were an expectation.  All of that’s long gone.  I hate it for the kids.  The team has a lot of great kids that have incredible potential.

“I remember going to the to the games in 2004-2015.  There was a winning expectation, packed house, lots of support, greatatmosphere, playoffs were an expectation.  All of that’s long gone.  I hate it for the kids.  The team has a lot of great kids that have incredible potential.”

This statement contains both the problem, as well as the solution.

I didn’t miss a game this year but this has been the hardest year to watch since the late 80’s. 

The lack of discipline, enthusiasm on the sideline, fundamentals (tackling and blocking), penalties, game plans, play calling that will have you scratching your head, defensive schemes, coaching staff with no pulse, soft practices, misuse of talent, etc has the true chapel hill fans sitting at home rather than getting there blood pressure up on fri nights. 

Its been rough and i couldn’t wait to get this season over. 

2 minutes ago, JugLine said:

I didn’t miss a game this year but this has been the hardest year to watch since the late 80’s. 

The lack of discipline, enthusiasm on the sideline, fundamentals (tackling and blocking), penalties, game plans, play calling that will have you scratching your head, defensive schemes, coaching staff with no pulse, soft practices, misuse of talent, etc has the true chapel hill fans sitting at home rather than getting there blood pressure up on fri nights. 

Its been rough and i couldn’t wait to get this season over. 

Just curious if there is any talk in making a change after this year? I think CH can still be an attractive job, but I think it’s going to be taking a chance on a young up and coming coordinator getting a first HC job. Bring in young fired up coaches, and just try to get the culture changed. Last time it seemed like they only had their sites set on previous head coaches that had minimal success to begin with. Why not give somebody a chance to make a name for themselves and build their program. At this point, what do you have to lose over there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, broncbuster11 said:

Just curious if there is any talk in making a change after this year? I think CH can still be an attractive job, but I think it’s going to be taking a chance on a young up and coming coordinator getting a first HC job. Bring in young fired up coaches, and just try to get the culture changed. Last time it seemed like they only had their sites set on previous head coaches that had minimal success to begin with. Why not give somebody a chance to make a name for themselves and build their program. At this point, what do you have to lose over there.

Most importantly “fired up coaches”. We don’t have that and our kids need a “in your face” high energy coach. 

I dont know anything about the inner workings or behind the scenes politics in CH but it seems to me that program has everything needed to be successful. Largest enrollment in the district...close to Tyler but not in Tyler...two SC appearances this decade...so why they have struggled so much recently is a head scratcher. Someone said that four coaches that had made the initial cut withdrew their apps...it would be interesting to know why. Regardless, good luck getting things turned around to our friends down 64.

10 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I dont know anything about the inner workings or behind the scenes politics in CH but it seems to me that program has everything needed to be successful. Largest enrollment in the district...close to Tyler but not in Tyler...two SC appearances this decade...so why they have struggled so much recently is a head scratcher. Someone said that four coaches that had made the initial cut withdrew their apps...it would be interesting to know why. Regardless, good luck getting things turned around to our friends down 64.

We have the athletes to compete every year. I can much easier accept these losses if we are competing. We have been competing. 

7 minutes ago, JugLine said:

We have the athletes to compete every year. I can much easier accept these losses if we are competing. We have been competing. 

I know Kilgore had an off year, but if I was CH, I’d go to Kilgore, Carthage, Henderson and Van and start trying to poach some of the younger coaches from those staffs. Guys that are familiar with east Texas, that want to stay in the area. I’m sure there are some guys that would be intrigued by the thought of building their own programs. The kids in CH can’t be much different than any of those other schools, so why not go after somebody that knows what it’s like to get the kids up and ready to play. Who knows, the next Surratt could be just needing a program willing to let him build it.

I don’t understand how someone get the chapel hill job after such a bad record at brownsboro. I really wish coaching wasn’t about who you know(hiring friends) cause in  this case it’s hurting chapel hill. The best candidate should be hired maybe chapel hill wouldn’t be in this situation.

24 minutes ago, dragon18 said:

I don’t understand how someone get the chapel hill job after such a bad record at brownsboro. I really wish coaching wasn’t about who you know(hiring friends) cause in  this case it’s hurting chapel hill. The best candidate should be hired maybe chapel hill wouldn’t be in this situation.

I don’t know what they were expecting. I’d like to know why the coaches pulled there name from the hat as well. 

24 minutes ago, dragon18 said:

If my numbers are correct Coach Hooker had a 10-31 record in 4 years as head coach at Brownsboro, how is he given another opportunity to be a head coach with a record like that.

I could see a small 2a program saying ok, we’ll give you another chance, but for it to be a big 4a with a history of good teams and athletes is a bit head scratching. I’m not going to pretend I know anything about what goes on in CH other than what I see from the outside, but for the right coach, I think it could be a heck of an opportunity 

Jason Hooker

At Brownsboro 10-31 in 4 seasons. He was at Brownsboro under WH superintendent Chris Moran. 

At Chapel Hill 4-16, O-11 in district play, 0 playoffs appearances, averaging 21.3 ppg, 37.3 papg, and lowest attendance in 20+ years. He is at Chapel Hill because 4 others turned it down

In 6 season as a head coach he is 14 and 47.

I have heard Hooker is a good person and wish him the best.

CH is a hard place to coach. JT and Lee with privates pulling your kids away. JMO... Who really knows.