Pleasant Grove @ Carthage (Carthage Homecoming)

DAWG91

Pleasant Grove vs Carthage  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Hawks in a close one
    • Hawks in a blowout
    • Bulldogs in a close one
    • Bulldogs in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/2018 at 12:30 AM

2 minutes ago, Hawkguy888 said:

True, but the boys that are returning this year from last year saw the likes of Graham’s, Melissa’s, and WOS passing attack. Graham ran some very complicated routes. I know that had a lot to do with last years pass rush, but the experience is there. 

Graham and Melissa could not block PG’s front 7 last year thus severely limiting their effectiveness in the passing game.  WOS did not have much of a vertical passing game last year from what I saw.

Just now, Mudman246 said:

If atlanta scored 35 on PG, and gladewater scored 40 something  i expect carthage to score 60 something 

And i expect carthage defense to be alot  stronger than either one of those teams  so i expect carthage to win by atleast 21 but it wouldnt surprise me for it to be a blowout 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawknation03 said:

PG is definitely better than Marshall. Marshall is a one dimensional team. They run the ball or they run the QB. No passing attack at all. Their run attack is nothing like the Hawks. Im not saying PG is miles better but they are , shall we say ... considerably better than Marshall. Also when did you get the impression that PG is slow? PG may be a little weak on the line but speed is not something lacking on this team. They are loaded with speed!

I was at the regional track meet in Commerce last spring...……..Was really impressed with the Hawks 400 relay, 800 relay, 100 and 200 men

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

PG is definitely better than Marshall. Marshall is a one dimensional team. They run the ball or they run the QB. No passing attack at all. Their run attack is nothing like the Hawks. Im not saying PG is miles better but they are , shall we say ... considerably better than Marshall. Also when did you get the impression that PG is slow? PG may be a little weak on the line but speed is not something lacking on this team. They are loaded with speed!

You do know Marshall has three DI receivers and I assure you PG does not have the speed to keep up with Marshall.

The Dawgs made the Mavericks run the ball and our speed to keep up with their receivers shut down their passing game. Our D line had their QB running for his life. 

The Dawgs will not face a dual threat like the Mavericks had again this season. 

Watch the video and see what I am telling. 

Tackling that QB was a night mare for the Dawgs, it was like he was covered in vasolene. 

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

2 hours ago, Mudman246 said:

And i expect carthage defense to be alot  stronger than either one of those teams  so i expect carthage to win by atleast 21 but it wouldnt surprise me for it to be a blowout 

For the record GW offense scored 27 on PG Defense. PG Defense had 2 key starters out in that game. They are back and in the first game back CH hardly crossed the 50 yrd line. 

All I’m saying is that PG is not chopped liver. Even I am pleasantly  surprised by the Hawks this year. # 15 for the grove is going to surprise you and 13 is small and disguises himself really well in the middle. #1 has been burned in coverage several times but he is a first year starter and shows a ton potential. One thing on this team that has improved from last year are the DB’s. 

3 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

FWIW, Chill can in no way be compared to Carthage...😏

Goes without saying.. I see the improvement of this team each day. Carthage is a power house. If Pg gets blown off the field then we can certainly measure where they stand against a great football team. On the flip side if PG keeps this thing close then I am going to be more than content with the groves ability.

20 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

The biggest concern for PG is that offensive line and it’s starting to get beat up some. The depth on the OL does not look to good. I do agree with Hawk888 that this could get ugly. 

As I have said before PG will need to play a near perfect game and get 7 on most all their possessions to win.  If Carthage forces a punt, holds on 4th down conversion attempt, or holds for a FG, the advantage for Carthage grows.  PG will not be able to consistently stop the Dawg offense.  IMO, PG must force at least 4 TO’s to be in this one in the fourth quarter. Carthage just too much.  PG is a good football team and will do good things in 4A D2.  Just not at same level as Carthage.

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

As I have said before PG will need to play a near perfect game and get 7 on most all their possessions to win.  If Carthage forces a punt, holds on 4th down conversion attempt, or holds for a FG, the advantage for Carthage grows.  PG will not be able to consistently stop the Dawg offense.  IMO, PG must force at least 4 TO’s to be in this one in the fourth quarter. Carthage just too much.  PG is a good football team and will do good things in 4A D2.  Just not at same level as Carthage.

While I certainly respect your thoughts I must disagree with your assessment of the Hawks D. The Hawks D is what has to keep PG in this game. While they might not be able to stop the Carthage offense they are IMO the best Defense Carthage has faced this year so far. Maybe your right and the Hawks Defense can’t stop the Dogs but I am still excited to see how the stack up against an elite offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

PG will be Carthage's first real test...……….remember typing that ?

Yes I do.  Marshall has speed and talent all over the field and was a test for Carthage, but like other have said Marshall made some big mistakes that didn't allow them to win the game.  
PG will be more discipline and a more well rounded team.   I look at it like this Midlothian Heritage was a test for the pirates but the real test is when we played Argyle.   There is a difference at least in my book.

• LOL! 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, coachkells said:

I haven't seen Carthage since week 2 in that game they had a rough time stopping the run (for Carthage standards) .  I know they had a few starters out in that game and PG runs a completely different offense.  I believe PG will play keep away and I don't think dogs scoring on every position they have. This will be the best team Carthage has seen so far this year.  I think it closer then most think, maybe 31-24 Dawgs but what do I know.  

As much as you would like to think I don't believe Carthage could win I did pick them before all this started.  Carthage is the juggernaut in 4a football and its fun to watch you guys try and pick apart anything that is said to the contrary. 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:23 AM, Hawkguy888 said:

Gibson is an elite level coach. He took a school that was at the bottom and in his first year made the playoffs. His teams got better every year and in 4 years went undefeated and won state. This speaks for itself. Nobody ever heard of PG Before he got there. We are lucky to have a coach like him and my son is blessed to play for a coach and staff like he has. Players love him and play their hearts out. If he stays, I believe we can get to a respect level like carthage. 

Coach Surratt came to Carthage in 2007 went two or three rounds in the playoffs lost to the eventual state champions in Liberty-Hill. 2008-2010 Carthage won state championships! Now that's Elite coaching!!! Dawg Dynasty!! 

• Like 1