Hallsville Vs. Marshall  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Hallsville in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Hallsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

It's homecoming for the Mavericks.

Marshall is coming off a 47-21 win over Lindale.  Hallsville is coming off a 55-35 loss to Pine Tree.

The Mavs had another stellar performance from QB  JJ Green.  He had 222 yards passing against the Eagles.  Marshall had another 224 on the ground.  They rolled up 484 total yards.

The Marshall defense gave up 265 yards, 176 through the air.

Hallsville rolled up 471 yards against Pine Tree in their loss.  Only 37 yards were through the air.  However, the Bobcats gave up 558 yards to Pine Tree.... 400 of them on the ground.

This will mark the 19th game between the Mavs and Bobcats in a series that started in 2000 as a 5A/4A match-up that became an annual district match in 2002.

Marshall holds a (13-5) edge in the series.

Was a little shocked about a few things in this game.

1.  How quickly PT got 40+ points BEFORE HALFTIME.

2.  Also a little shocked how the pass-happy Pirates had 400 yards RUSHING.  Unreal.

3.  Hallsville had 37 yards passing.  37!  Wowzers.

--------

I can't help but wonder if the Mavericks came out against Lindale and thought the Eagles were going roll over and play dead for them.  Marshall got punched in the mouth most of the first half against Lindale.  

Lots of sloppiness with muffed punt returns, bad snaps at center, penalties, an INT.  A much smaller Lindale team pushed those big guys from Marshall around along the lines much of the night.  Pass defense struggled with screen passes.  

Lots to work on.  All correctable.  But no doubt it was sloppy.

I didn't see the Hallsville/PT game.... but one has to wonder if Hallsville may be a victim of a soft non-district schedule.  They dominated in their three wins.... and looked uncompetitive much of the PT game until the back-ups were in the game.

Marshall CANNOT overlook Hallsville.  We aren't good enough yet to overlook folks.  Plus we have all the distractions of homecoming.   Not to mention it's a rivalry game.

We need to be on our toes.  

Marshall opens district with Lindale, Hallsville, MP, and Jax.... we need to take care of business in these first 4 games..... because we close with the meat of the schedule in Nac, WH, and PT.....   We need to be 4-0 headed into those final 3.  

Hallsville has beef across both lines.

That's kinda of concerning when you consider how much smaller lines at Lindale still got their way off and on all night Friday night.

Our trench warfare is spotty at times.  Stellar other times.  We can't have the QB running for his life on every play.

Hopefully we can figure out defending screen passes.... cause Carthage and Lindale ate our lunch with them.

We need a complete game.  Haven't had one yet.

The Mavs are (18-2) in district play since 2015.  Both losses were to Texas High.

They have won 11 district games in a row.

The all-time record for consecutive district wins is 18 from 1987-1990. 

They were 22-2 in district play from 1987-1990.

IF the Mavs were to win out this season...they would finish with 17 consecutive district wins.... and would tie the record next year if they were to beat Lindale.  The record would fall with a win over Hallsville next season.

Odd ball stats....but fun too.

Called the ticket office today to see about getting 6 extra tickets for the game. 

No easy task. She said they are anticipating on the HOME side selling out. 

That means overflow Mav fans will be sitting on the Hallsville side.   That’s always fun 🙄

Get your tickets now if you want to sit on the Mav side. 

The MJHS Red team won last night at Texarkana 22-0 and improved to (3-0) on the season.

The MJHS White team won last night in Texarkana 28-0 and is 1-1-1 on the season.

9th grade team is 0-4, 0-1

JV I think is 2-2, 1-0.

2 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

After sleepwalking thru the first half last week, I'm thinking Mathis woke them up at halftime.....expect them to come out quickly this week......Mavs roll.......

Yeah.  First half of Lindale was uninspired. 

Came out strong after halftime.  But we kind of of lulled again in the fourth. 

Cant do that against good teams. They will bury you. 

But I agree.... I think we come out hot.  I hope.