Thoughts On Old School Versus New School Coaching

Stoney

During the A&M game today, Jimbo Fisher was caught on video grabbing a player by the face mask to get his point across. I had this happen a couple times myself when playing football growing up. I’m sure most of us have. However, social media has deemed this unacceptable. Fisher has been described as abusive. Assault has been thrown around. My question is this, is there still room for old school football tactics like this or has the new school made this unacceptable? Are you okay with a HS coach doing this? 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 9:14 PM, Valhalla said:

The only issue I have is that if the player put his hands on the coach then his career would be over.

I think it depends on the relationship the coach has with the kid. You can’t just be grabbing the face mask of a kid that you rarely talk to. 

And a player should never put his hands on a coach.  It’s not like Jimbo hit the player.  Looks like it was just an chewing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

During the A&M game today, Jimbo Fisher was caught on video grabbing a player by the face mask to get his point across. I had this happen a couple times myself when playing football growing up. I’m sure most of us have. However, social media has deemed this unacceptable. Fisher has been described as abusive. Assault has been thrown around. My question is this, is there still room for old school football tactics like this or has the new school made this unacceptable? Are you okay with a HS coach doing this? 

Parents probably won't understand that very much these days, I was running the clock at Waskom years ago and the QB did something I can't remember but his daddy was the announcer and he got on the PA and told the coach to TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY BOY BIG MAN, needless to say that was his last game to announce I believe, his boy continued to play football and later on became a coach, I think he coached at Tatum for a while. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

7 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

he got on the PA and told the coach to TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY BOY BIG MAN, needless to say that was his last game to announce

Haha! Every fans dream! To have access to the mic so everyone including the coaches could hear their opinions!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

12 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Parents probably won't understand that very much these days, I was running the clock at Waskom years ago and the QB did something I can't remember but his daddy was the announcer and he got on the PA and told the coach to TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY BOY BIG MAN, needless to say that was his last game to announce I believe, his boy continued to play football and later on became a coach, I think he coached at Tatum for a while. 

He also coached at EF under Morris.

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hell yeah I'm okay with it, in the military, they grab more than a facemask to get your attention, and you hear nothing wrong about its tactics lol

I bet if you check with some of the best player's to ever dress out, you'll find they probably all had these face to face meetings with coach.. It's what pushes them to greatness sometimes.. Somebody that cares enough to push you to your limits both mentally and physically.. And sometimes because you just need to pull your head out.. 

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

I’m all for it. But then mommy will get upset and coach will lose is job because because son that will end up serving expressos the rest of is life will have had a dramatic experience. 

Its basically a grey area.