Thoughts On Old School Versus New School Coaching

Stoney

Ftball installs discipline in young men. When certain requirements are not met then players are held responsible. It’s ok for voice raise and confrontation. It’s ftball for goodness sakes not patty cakes. As long as praise is given when players do good then it’s ok to get on their butts when they do bad. For some youth it’s the only accountability they are held to. It will help produce productive young men in the future.

18 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Softer or smarter?

I guess that all depends on how you look at it. The only definite is that the methods of Bryant and Hayes would not fly in today’s world. There were times in those days where coaches knew they crossed the line. Bryant lived with regrets over SOME of the kids that quit his first A&M team after the infamous Junction camp. He realized he had been too hard on them. 

I'll say it like this and leave it lay.. I played for some harsh and demanding coaches but not one of those gentlemen could hold a candle to my drill instructors in the marine corps.. At the end I've come to understand that they provided the opportunity for me to learn thing's about myself I would have never have found without their reverend tutelage.. Js. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

I'll say it like this and leave it lay.. I played for some harsh and demanding coaches but not one of those gentlemen could hold a candle to my drill instructors in the marine corps.. At the end I've come to understand that they provided the opportunity for me to learn thing's about myself I would have never have found without their reverend tutelage.. Js. 

Even a bird pushes her kids out of the nest; How Else they gonna Soar?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corrigancamden09 said:

Oh yeah most definitely minus those.. lol

that practice field they had to play on would have been enough to make me quit...lol

I want to see stickers as big as they showed them in that film...  I went to Junction once to try and find some... couldn’t find any... I think the stickers were illegally on roids in that movie

The kid he grabbed immediately came out and defended coach Fisher saying he had no problem with it. He said he was in the wrong for trying to fight and apologized to his team and Coach Fisher. The only one's making a big deal about it is the media. I swear, if I hear one more columnist who never played football saying this was too harsh. One article even said "If Jimbo Fisher will manhandle a child like this, imagine what he could do to a woman." Are you kidding me? First of all, a 21 year old junior in college is not a child, and secondly, to even suggest something like that in an article should be criminal. That columnist should lose his job at the very least. I honestly hope A&M doesnt cave to a few idiotic people just looking to complain. 

• Like 1

Lol at all the "this generation is soft" garbage.  If the coach has a relationship with the player that lets him hold the player accountable like that, then so be it.  Where it becomes a problem is when every coach feels like they are entitled to do it and if someone doesn't like it, "they're soft."

Keep up the chest beating about how all you guys are tougher than today's generation.  The generation before you called you soft, too.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 2

A lot of this is said under the assumption that the coach has the best interest of the kids in mind which is not always the case. Some coaches are downright abusive and I think parents give way too much power to a football coach just because they win games. As for this instance, I didn't see anything too out of line but i've seen worse. I'm a high school football coach and if i have to do that to get my point across, maybe I need to step up my coaching game.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, Stoney said:

During the A&M game today, Jimbo Fisher was caught on video grabbing a player by the face mask to get his point across. I had this happen a couple times myself when playing football growing up. I’m sure most of us have. However, social media has deemed this unacceptable. Fisher has been described as abusive. Assault has been thrown around. My question is this, is there still room for old school football tactics like this or has the new school made this unacceptable? Are you okay with a HS coach doing this? 

That's how I was Coached by Jeff Harrell. I agree with it.

2 hours ago, miltonbradley said:

Lol at all the "this generation is soft" garbage.  If the coach has a relationship with the player that lets him hold the player accountable like that, then so be it.  Where it becomes a problem is when every coach feels like they are entitled to do it and if someone doesn't like it, "they're soft."

Keep up the chest beating about how all you guys are tougher than today's generation.  The generation before you called you soft, too.

I actually agree that my generation is softer than my parents generation. They grew up during the depression, then WW2. My dad worked on the farm during that era and as soon as he graduated high school joined the marines and was sent to Guam. He never let anything bother him and was the most optimistic person I ever knew. Never complained. I couldn't hold a candle to his level of toughness. Then there's today where everyone gets all bent out of shape over something like a coach grabbing a face mask. It just seems to get worse. Not saying every individual today is soft but society in general is. We really all could learn to not complain so much. Just my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own of course.