Red River Shootout

DB2point0

Red River Shootout   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bevo
    • That team from across the river

Bill Connelly’s S&P+ currently ranking OU #1 in the country in offensive S&P+ and 62nd indefense.

Texas is currently 80th in offensive S&P+ and 10th in defense.

I haven’t watched much of OU, I saw some vs UCLA and a little vs ISU. 

I can’t comment much on the sooners but for Texas, they have yet to put a full game together. Vs Tulsa the started strong and finished poor, vs USC they started poorly and finished strong, vs TCU the middle of the 2nd quarter to the mid 3rd was ugly, and vs KST they started strong and struggled until the last drive to ice the game. I do think that Texas started looking ahead to OU at halftime last week. 

I think Texas has a bigger advantage on offense vs the OU defense, than the OU offense has vs the Texas defense. Texas’ WRs are playing really well the last 3 games, not just catching the ball but blocking is much improved and breaking tackles after the catch is the best I’ve seen in a long time. The OU secondary has 1 safety that is listed at 200lbs the rest are below 190 and none are listed above 6ft. CJ and LJH could have huge days vs their smaller DBs. Coming into the week I thought Texas’ advantage was on the ground and I still think Sam and Ingram will have good games but the matchup of the big body WRs vs the much smaller DBs is very enticing. 

Defensively Texas can’t give up explosive plays for TDs. They must make the OU offense earn their points. Like vs TCU when Boyd got beat deep but made the tackle and TCU had to settle for a FG. The Texas DL needs to collapse the pocket on Murray and disrupt his throwing lanes as much as possible and the occasional sacks would be nice but he’s very elusive as a runner. Texas will use a spy on Murray I’m sure and it’ll be Gary Johnson or BJ Foster. It’s too bad Overshown has been injured or this would be a role he might shine in as well. I think Texas will stop the traditional running game of OU but stopping Murray will be the key. 

Since 2013 when a Case McCoy led Texas team won by 16, neither team has won by more than a touchdown. 

This game is crazy and usually has big momentum swings both ways throughout the game, especially recently. Texas has to continue to not turn the ball over if they want a chance to win because giving the OU offense more chances to score is a recipe for disaster. I love this game, every year it’s my favorite game. I can’t wait. 

• Thanks 2

Prediction time:

Texas 35

Oklahoma 31

I predicted this game as a win for Texas before the season and I don’t see any reason to change it. If Texas plays like they have been: no turnovers, winning time of possession, and out physical the other team then I believe they’ll win. I know OU has the better offense but I believe Texas is the better team. 

Regardless I think it’ll be a great game!

• Confused 1

If Ehlinger keeps it on read options at least 5 times...……….If Ingram gets the ball in his hands at least 15 times...…………...If Texas doesn't lose the turnover battle...………...Then Texas can possibly win...……..Go Horns

On 10/4/2018 at 8:33 AM, MavGrad99 said:

I miss people who do research.  Me and @WETSU used to kill this forum with page long posts filled with research when I was looking for every reason in the world to kill A&M (successfully if I may add).  

However, OU is the better team.  They have a great offensive scheme, better players, and they know how to win.  Their only deficiency seems to be the DC...  which I think they should just fire and let him go work at Kentucky :lol:

Texas has some great pieces to the puzzle... the problem is that most of those pieces are still young pieces that need to grow a little bit more to fit it all perfectly.  

Anything can and has and will happen in this game, but if your money isn't on OU, then you are throwing pennies in a well....

There are 2-3 posters who literally killed any legitimate research or discussions on this board for the most part....

7 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If Ehlinger keeps it on read options at least 5 times...……….If Ingram gets the ball in his hands at least 15 times...…………...If Texas doesn't lose the turnover battle...………...Then Texas can possibly win...……..Go Horns

Ingram got 10 carries and 5 receptions at Kansas State and that didn’t seem like enough.

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Ingram got 10 carries and 5 receptions at Kansas State and that didn’t seem like enough.

That's definitely not enough... but I think he was only about 75% against KState. He should be ready to go today. A lot of guys are back and healthy