Red River Shootout

DB2point0

Red River Shootout   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bevo
    • That team from across the river

Just now, Hlion said:

Yeah struggling against terrible kstate, and Tulsa and losing to Maryland should bring in a lot of confidence.

What about TCU and USC?

Kstate and Tulsa weren't terrible wins. Texas had both those teams shut out at half time. They were poor finishes to games, but not terrible wins.Β 

Just now, Hlion said:

Neither are impressive. Geez manΒ 

Β 

1 minute ago, Hlion said:

Again USC isn't that great tcu is better but not more than Ou. You probably in for a rude awakeing if you think Texas is back or even legit. In the end of the day I predicted them to be 9-3 . This satΒ  is one of those.

Β 

4 minutes ago, Hlion said:

TCU is a good win but still Ou looks and will be the favorite

Nobody said Texas was back..

So are they terrible wins, good wins, or not impressive? Dude I can't keep up with your contradicting posts. Geez man

1 minute ago, Hlion said:

Decent wins but y'all ain't ready for OU .Β 

But is OU ready for Texas? I'm not saying OU isn't good or Texas is going to flat out win, but this will be the best defense (and team) that OU has faced so far if you ask me.Β 

You could argue that Army game was a terrible win for OU. I mean I know you're the king of blanket statements and not providingΒ much thought to your posts so idk why I'm expecting anything different here.

18 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

But is OU ready for Texas? I'm not saying OU isn't good or Texas is going to flat out win, but this will be the best defense (and team) that OU has faced so far if you ask me.Β 

You could argue that Army game was a terrible win for OU. I mean I know you're the king of blanket statements and not providingΒ much thought to your posts so idk why I'm expecting anything different here.

If Texas can run the ball like Army did, they'll have success. OU's offense was decent in that game, considering how little they possessed the ball. But their defense is just not good. They even gave up a lot to Baylor in their win. Texas has looked much better on defense, but they haven't played an offense like OU. I'm excited to see which unit comes out ahead (Texas defense vs Oklahoma offense).Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

If Texas can run the ball like Army did, they'll have success. OU's offense was decent in that game, considering how little they possessed the ball. But their defense is just not good. They even gave up a lot to Baylor in their win. Texas has looked much better on defense, but they haven't played an offense like OU. I'm excited to see which unit comes out ahead (Texas defense vs Oklahoma offense).Β 

Yeah it's definitely a strength (Texas' D)Β vs strength (OU's O) and weakness (Texas' O) vs weakness (OU's D). I think that's what's going to make it a good game. Now, if Texas keeps their defense on the field too long it could get out of hand. That's what I'm worried about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Guys, ignore Lion. He's all over the place in this thread lmao

Previous games matter not in this game.Β 

We know previous games matter not, but it’s always fun to read an Aggie’s perspective on Texas’ top rivalry game, so Lion can post all he wants.

3 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Yeah it's definitely a strength (Texas' D)Β vs strength ο»Ώ(OU's O) and weakness (Texas' O) vs weakness (OU's D). I think that's what's going to make it a good game. Now, if Texas keeps their defense on the field too long it could get out of hand. That's what I'm worried about.

That won't happen. OU scores too quickly (and did so against Army, which allowed Army to hold the ball for 45 minutes of that game lol) for them to play any kind of ball control. Whether they give up points or not, the defense won't be on the field much.Β 

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

We know previous games matter not, but it’s always fun to read an Aggie’s perspective on Texas’ top rivalry game, so Lion can post all he wants.

True. The two of you are on similar levels of intelligence, so I understand why you want to engage with Lion. Continue.

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That won't happen. OU scores too quickly (and did so against Army, which allowed Army to hold the ball for 45 minutes of that game lol) for them to play any kind of ball control. Whether they give up points or not, the defense won't be on the field much.Β 

That's true.. Still trying to wrapΒ my head around how Army held the ball that long lol

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Most defenses would not be good when they are on the field for 3/4's of a game.Β 

Baylor ran 104 plays and scored 30 points. Oklahoma played defense for about 40 minutes.

Now I'm not saying Oklahoma has a good defense, but their defensive stats will always have to be adjusted for the number of plays that they will be out there for every game.

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

It's not the Aggie perspective on this game that I have a problem with,Β it's the complete blanket statements with no intelligent thought to back it up. Which is typical of Lion. I just like to expose him even more, even though he does that for himself already just by his posting.

Just now, ETXfan16 said:

That's true.. Still trying to wrapΒ my head around how Army held the ball that long lol

I watched it (love triple option teams).Β 

The biggest stats were these:

3rd downs: Army was 13-21Β 

4th downs: Army was 4-5

So they faced 26 situations where they had to convert a first down, and did so 17 times to keep drives alive (Their drives took 16, 16, 8, 3, 19, and 17 plays in regulation, ignoring their end of half drive). That's an average of 13 plays per drive. Most teams don't have a single drive of more than 12 in a game, much less average 13 over 6 drives. That's another thing..... Neither team even got THAT many chances to score. OU only had 7 drives in the entirety of regulation. Most teams have double that in games.Β 

By comparison, OU was 1-3 on 3rd downs and 0-1 on 4th downs. They didn't even FACE 3rd downs, much less 4ths.Β 

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Most defenses would not be good when they are on the field for 3/4's of a game.Β 

Baylor ran 104 plays and scored 30 points. Oklahoma played defense for about 40 minutes.

Now I'm not saying Oklahoma has a good defense, but their defensive stats will always have to be adjusted for the number of plays that they will be out there for every game.

I think that's the downside of an offense that scores fast. The Texas Tech and Baylor's of the world are perfect examples of this (I think OU's defense is better than Baylor's and Tech's though).

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Baylor ran 104 plays and scored 30 points. Oklahoma played defense for abο»Ώout 40 minutes.

Hrm good point. But is it a cause and effect thing?Β 

I think their defense is on the field so much BECAUSE they're not so great, you know? If you force a 3 and out (or any punt/turnover), you get of the field. When you give up a lot of 3rd and 4th downs, you're on the field more.Β 

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

It's not the Aggie perspective on this game that I have a problem with,Β it's the complete blanket statements with no intelligent thought to back it up. Which is typical of Lion. I just like to expose him even more, even though he does that for himself already just by his posting.

I appreciate your level of intelligence to refute everything he says without going all tu quoque on us the way that other guy does haha

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Be nice, you’re starting to sound like SomeoneElse

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So they faced 26 situations where they had to convert a first down, and did so 17 times to keep drives alive (Their drives took 16, 16, 8, 3, 19, and 17 plays in regulation, ignoring their end of half drive). That's an average of 13 plays per drive. Most teams don't have a single drive of more than 12 in a game, much less average 13 over 6 drives. That's another thing..... Neither team even got THAT many chances to score. OU only had 7 drives in the entirety of regulation. Most teams have double that in games.Β 

By comparison, OU was 1-3 on 3rd downs and 0-1 on 4th downs. They didn't even FACE 3rd downs, much less 4ths.Β 

That's insane and really good research.

That's how Army and Navy win games. Their defense isn't great, but their offense is out there for so long they don't really need to be.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Hrm good point. But is it a cause and effect thing?Β 

I think their defense is on the field so much BECAUSE they're not so great, you know? If you force a 3 and out (or any punt/turnover), you get of the field. When you give up a lot of 3rd and 4th downs, you're on the field more.Β 

Army’s offense eats clock. Β One drive and you’ve given up 10:00 of game clock

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's insane and really good research.

That's how Army and Navy win games. Their defense isn't great, but their offense is out there for so long they don't really need to be.

Oh man, I was SO hoping Army would win that game. Not to stick it to Oklahoma or anything, but because I wanted that win to exist as a perfect example of how a team with less talent can beat a much more talented team with a great offense but exploitable defense. But alas, it was only a near miss for Army. Ironically, they screwed themselves in regulation by throwing the ball as they were driving in for the win to end the game.Β 

Ah well. Like I said, if Texas can establish the run, OU may be in for a long day on defense yet again. I wonder if their defense can maintain THIS level of defending for the entire season. It doesn't get any easier with strong running teams like KSU and West Virginia looming on the schedule.Β 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Facing triple option offenses is assignment football. Β If you don’t handle your assignment it causes problems elsewhere. Β I’m not surprised ou had trouble with it because Stoops is their DC. Β I’m not sure how he’s hung around this long.