Greatest team in your school’s history

nacdragon07

1986 Jefferson Bulldogs.  Undefeated state champs. Were never state ranked and also put an end to a Daingerfield 32 game winning streak. Knocked off #1 and undefeated Cuero who was led by Baylor's on Robert Strait for the championship 24-0. Jefferson had about 6 or 7 D1 players. 

Of course my squad in 1994 would be 2nd best that went 13-1. Still can't figure out how we lost that game to Atlanta 24-21. That was the most points we gave up that year too

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Nope. Naw and Hell Naw.

You are just destined to make John King the next in line behind Jesus.

Nope, just giving the man credit. His era is the best Lobo era whether you like to admit it or not. I mean your list has 3 teams from John King era so you know it's true. lol

Also, when making this list.. is it about what each team accomplished in their perspective era? Or is it straight up about "best"?

All respect for history and everything but I have a hard time believing 2004 Longview (among other teams) with Chris Ivory, McGee, Malcolm Kelly and those boys lose to 1937 Longview in a football game. 

Eh I'll just make two lists.

Most accomplished in their era:

1. 1937

2. 1997

3. 1927

4. 2009

5. 2008

In terms of "best" (head to head no particular order)

All IMO. Was hard for me to order it but those would be the teams nominated for me. And as you can imagine, 2018 is pretty much a more healthy version of 2017 so far. Can't put them on this list yet but by seasons end they may be on there.

Joaquin: I would have to put the ‘09 State semifinalist team as the best we’ve had, although I think the ‘07 team may have been better. The ‘07 team lost to an Alto team that nobody in our class was going to touch that year. The ‘05 team never got the chance to prove how good they could be, due to drawing a State finalist Big Sandy team in the first round. The 2012 team would probably get a mention had they lived up to expectations. Before those, the 1990 team was the standard, finishing 10-1-1, winning what would now be a 3A district championship, and being eliminated by an Alto team that was probably the second best in the state behind Groveton and Rodney Thomas. 

If I were ranking Cameron teams since 2010 (5 state championship game appearances). 

1. 2012

2. 2010

3. 2013

4. 2014

5. 2015

6. 2016

7. 2011

8. 2017

In terms of best ever, it would probably come down to 1981 or 2012.  The 2012 team beat Dfield in the finals with the biggest win coming the week before over a Newton team that was loaded.  In 1981, Cameron also beat Newton on penetrations and was fairly dominant versus Gilmer (26-3) in the finals.  There were also some really good other teams in the 80s and a few in the 70s.  

10 minutes ago, 68Hornet said:

I thought this was about the best team, not teams.

To me, it's very difficult to pinpoint a best team.  For Daingerfield it's easy, but for others not so much. You are talking about different eras of football, which for a lot of programs is drastically different.  

5 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

2005 Tatum Eagles -  from sophomore to senior class, 11 kids on the 05 roster ended up with D1 offers and several more with D2 offers. Denarius Moore(Tenn, Raiders), Lennon Creer(Tenn, then La Tech), Daylon McCoy(UL-L), Cashas Pollard(NW La St), Bryce Beall(Houston), Isaiah Thompson (Houston), Carson Blackmon(Houston), Chance Blackmon(Colorado), Clarence Leatch(TCU), Eric Kirkland(elected to go to BPCC for baseball), and several more.

Definitely remember those squads. Drove down from DFW back to back yrs to see yall destroy my Bulldogs in the playoffs. I remember some yrs before, u guys had this big ole back named J.R.Jones and the other back was more of a speedster. Yall escaped Jefferson with a 14-13 win as we chose to go for 2 for the win

1989 Gladewater Bears. Got beat by Vernon in the semis @ Pennington. Beat Chapel Hill in pre-district and they won the 4A state championship. We were destined to win state in 3A that year, but when Derrick Richardson returned the opening kickoff against us, we never quite recovered.

15 hours ago, LCM said:

The 1994 Bears. Went undefeated during the season ran into Willis where they had 5 d1 athletes with a Heisman runner up Michael Bishop. If we would had our starting running back I think we would have been hard to stop. We had Coach Surratt and Wt Johnson on the coaching staff can we get those guys back? The 1997 team went 4 rounds deep where we ran into powerhouse Lamarque and gave them all they wanted.

“We had Coach Surratt and Wt Johnson on the coaching staff can we get those guys back?”

Johnson, sure;

Surratt? No Way!......😜

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeffersondogs96 said:

Definitely remember those squads. Drove down from DFW back to back yrs to see yall destroy my Bulldogs in the playoffs. I remember some yrs before, u guys had this big ole back named J.R.Jones and the other back was more of a speedster. Yall escaped Jefferson with a 14-13 win as we chose to go for 2 for the win

J.R. Jones was a wrecking ball. His son, Deagan Jones, is a 6'2 270 lb sophomore DE/DT/OL on our varsity this year. Kid is gonna be a hoss.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeffersondogs96 said:

The speedster was Ken Shelton? 

12 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

The speedster was Ken Shelton? 

I am thinking it was Ken. Alton Stoker was a little later, so don't think it was him and Wadricus Lucas/LaMarcus James was '96 right? Ken Shelton was a hell of a back. His little brothers Chris and Daryl were speedsters in the early 2000s as well.

9 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

I am thinking it was Ken. Alton Stoker was a little later, so don't think it was him and Wadricus Lucas/LaMarcus James was '96 right? Ken Shelton was a hell of a back. His little brothers Chris and Daryl were speedsters in the early 2000s as well.

That’s what I was thinking. Hated hearing he passed away few months back. 

2003 State Champion Atlanta Rabbits

1994 State Finalist Atlanta Rabbits

2002 Atlanta Rabbits

2014 Atlanta Rabbits

2015 Atlanta Rabbits

I've seen some film of the '94 Rabbits, that's the only reason I add them, because technically I was 3 when they were playing. With that being said, not many people forget the 03' Rabbits, and the absolutely ridiculous amount of speed they had on that team. 2002 was almost as good, but just came up short to Forney in Texas Stadium. 

16 hours ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

2000 lost to state finalist Commerce 21-10

State finalist Farmersville on the last play

State Champ Celina, but was ahead at half and QB got hurt.

I do agree that 2000 was really good and one of the best of all time but the fact is still not district champs 10-3 Vs 12-1. Both lost to eventual state champs. 2004 also went 10-3 losing to Pewitt (semifinalists) and Crawford (state Champs) But they are NOT as good as either 89 or 01.  As for the 2013 team they had 2 cats that carried them. Added with an extremely weak region is why they went that far. Just look how bad Leonard got blown out by Cisco the next game is all you need to know about how soft that region was. But they did make history and were a good football team but in my opinion not in the conversation as the "greatest" team in our schools history. Best Record off all time yes.

13 hours ago, Bulldognation1 said:

Probably the 04 team would too. I’ll tell ya another Cooper team that was really good & had tons of size & speed & that was the 96 team that lost to Grand Saline by 3 in area. Still can’t believe Florence never took any of those Cooper teams in the mid-late 90’s past the second round. 

I agree about the 04 team would beat the 13 Team. Also the 05 team with Williams was pretty salty but we beat in the second round. I was told by a long time coach that he believed that 96 team might have been the most talented one of all.

Id say for Mount Pleasant it is between the 73 state finalist, 95 semi finalost and 97 semi finalist. 

The 95 team was one play from going to state because Corey Shaw pushed the referee and the td was called back against Denison. They also beat #3 ranked Sulpher Springs twice that season. Once in Sulpher Springs, the other was a playoff game at Mesquite Memorial.

The 97 team had future NFL players Chaun Thompson and Chris Campbell on the team. This team got beat again in the semis by Denison but in the regional finals beat Waxahachie with a goal line stand when Luke Anderson and Chris Campbell stood up the top ranked RB in the state that season at the one each play. Also beat 3 or 4 top 10 teams in 4A that season on their way to the Semis (Terrell, Waxahachie, and Highland Park.)

I domt know much about the 73 team. Just know they lost to Cuero in 21-7. Also had to beat a very good Clarksville team.

20 hours ago, Nick2011 said:

Best, most dominant High School football team in history hands down. 

Right there with them was the 1975 Big Sandy team. Won their third straight state title, had a 48 game win streak broken when they moved up a class in '76 but set several national records that stood for many years. The '75 team scored a then national record 824 points and allowed 15. Lovie Smith and David Overstreet dominated both sides of the ball. Including Overstreet scoring 56 TD's, Smith lead a defense that put up 11 shutouts.

• Like 2

IMO...the 2014 Gilmer Buckeyes. 16-0 4A Division II State Champions

2nd most prolific scoring team in the history of Texas HS football (951 pts; 60 pts/game).

QB Mclane Carter (Texas Tech)

LB Demarco Boyd (Texas)

QB, WR, S Blake Lynch (Baylor)

RB CB Kris Boyd (Texas)

S Kollin Hurt (Louisiana Tech)

WR Nick Smith (Houston Baptist)

WR Lamarcus Morton (Oklahoma State)

DL Dakota Williamson (E Central Oklahoma)

This team was fun to watch