Week 7: Marshall (3-2) Vs. Mt. Pleasant (2-3)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. MP  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• MP by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • MP in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

You already did with Lindale, before waking up in the 2nd half and dominating.

Marshall is light years ahead of everyone in the district on talent imo. The only thing that could cost you would be bone headed coaching decisions coupled with numerous turnovers.

The district is what it is and what it has been for a hot minute. While teams are improving, they’re just not there yet. Just from an outsider looking in.

25 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

The district is what it is and what it has been for a hot minute. While teams are improving, they’re just not there yet. Just from an outsider looking in.

Agree.  East Texas 5A has been ugly of late.  Last GOOD year was 2015.

I think it's better this season than it has been the last 2 previous seasons.... but it's still not up to snuff.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

We aren't good enough to overlook anyone.  And I expect MP to come out playing like a team desperate to make the playoffs.  

Just looking at the amount of points MP has given up.... and who they gave them up to..... makes me think we SHOULD take care of business.

MP gave up 41 to Paris..... 55 to Pine Tree.... 43 to WH.

We've had our issues too.... we gave up 60 to Longview...but.  Longview.  And we gave up 35 to Carthage....but.  Carthage.

We better come with our "A" game.....or MP will pop us in the mouth.  BUT....if we take care of business like we SHOULD.... I expect a comfortable win.  

Agree

16 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

They arent as bad as you might think. Just ask Pine Tree. MP is a scrappy bunch this year. They can move the ball but its just trying to finish off the drive.

Sometimes hard to finish drives when you gash someone and look down and there is laundry on the ground. Heard MP got like 10 holding calls to ZERO for PT. Not sure but would say this is not only unlikely but impossible for this to be this out of line.

MP offense has struggled keeping the laundry clean for sure. We can move the ball pretty well when we clean up the penalties. BTW not blaming the calls just been a lot of mistakes that are curable. Defensively MP has struggled for sure. Marshall will be the biggest challenge so far this year. 

The holding penalties killing drives!!

We were much sharper Vs Hallsville about not holding.   But they absoltely killed us Vs Lindale.  Seems like we would get a big play and get it called back for holding. Ending in a punt. Ugh. 

But it was much better Vs the Bobcats. 

36 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

The one on the kick off return against Carthage changed the whole scope of that game.

Without a doubt.  Seen the replay. There was no penalty. 

But that game was officiated horrendously both ways. 

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MP cancelled the JV game for Thursday. 

Guess it’s a numbers issue 

Posted on MPHS website:

"Due to multiple injuries, the JV football game scheduled for Thursday October 11 at Marshall has been cancelled."

It would not take many, they only had 15 players total when they played Pine Tree last week.

52 minutes ago, IronTiger4Life said:

Posted on MPHS website:

"Due to multiple injuries, the JV football game scheduled for Thursday October 11 at Marshall has been cancelled."

It would not take many, they only had 15 players total when they played Pine Tree last week.

Ouch. 

Was talking to someone yesterday from MP. Said there are less than 100 right now freshmen through varsity. 

Thats crazy low numbers for a 5A school.  ESP when MP I think is the 2nd largest school in the district behind Nac. 

55 minutes ago, Triton said:

Sadly this is not a new problem for MP. Numbers have been low for many years. We always say we play 5A ball with 3A numbers. Keep hoping that will someday trend upwards!

I think a lot of the issue is kids can transfer from school to school nowadays whenever they feel like it. Who wants to play 5A football when you can go to a winning 4A, 3A or even 2A school. I remember when the culture at MP was about winning back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. That is the cultural change needed at MP now, and I think they have the HC to do that. It takes time to change a mentality, although the kids at MP this year are fighting that old monster (of losing), they just need a few breaks and people to believe in them.

• Like 1

Game Day. Of course every time Marshall and MP get together the temp drops and always seem to be a chance of rain as well. Hope everyone travels safely tonight and possibly have a good game. Good luck to both teams and GO TIGERS!

• Like 1