MavGrad's NCAA Week 8 Preview (2018)

Coach Rab

Best Defense in the NCAA this year?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team has the best Defense this year?

• Alabama
    • Texas
    • LSU
    • Clemson
    • Miami
    • Michigan
    • Georgia
    • Oklahoma
    • Texas A&M

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/21/2018 at 04:59 AM

TEAMS WE CARE ABOUT

#9 Oklahoma at TCU  11:00am  ABC

Dangerous game for Oklahoma.  TCU would possibly be a 1 loss team without the turnovers...  Can they fix their QB for one game and really rock the B12 landscape?  I seriously doubt it.  The safe bet is OU by 18.

#1 Alabama at Tennessee  2:30pm  CBS

Shocked to see this as the game CBS chose as their SEC Game of the Week.  However, well... what else is there to say?  Bama by 30?

#22 Mississippi State at #5 LSU  6:00pm  ESPN

MsSt shocked LSU with the win last year... well, it was more like a beating... but LSU is H-O-T right now.  They are not looking ahead at Bama...  Like I said earlier in the year, the Defense is NASTY!  Since LSU is at home, this is an easy LSU pick... Geaux Tigas by 6.

OTHER GAMES WORTH WATCHING

#6 Michigan at #24 Michigan St  11:00  FOX

I know there are a lot of people that want to see Michigan die a fiery death... I, for one, do not.  This is one of those that Harbaugh has to win...  And he will by 10.

#16 NC State at #3 Clemson  2:30  ESPN

Clemson at home...  I will take them by 3... but this will be the best game to watch this weekend.

#12 Oregon at #25 Washington St  6:30  FOX

Mike Leach's presser will win this one by 10.

Gonna be another weird week in Louisville 

Louisville TE Kemari Averett Put a Gun to His Baby Mama’s Head & Threatened to Kill Her For This Reason; Now Claiming He Has CTE & Doesn’t Know His GF or The Baby; U of L Makes Statement https://t.co/xRaVOtxxMM https://t.co/RpEyjLdRet

Im wondering how this kid even got on-campus, Petrino got some explaining to do on this one. 

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

A&M deserves to be on that list. 

I didn't realize they were a top 25 defense right now in YPG.  It will not let me edit the poll unless I do it by editing the first post...  If i can, I will add them.

Just now, Hlion said:

Not being petty they have a better Defense than some on the list . That's my opinion 

You only vote for one... THE BEST... *insert insult here*  SMDH...  Is A&M's defense better than all of the the teams on that list?  Think, then speak.  Don't speak then be forced to think.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

This is petty, A&M is not the best defense, but I agree with WETSU, they do deserve to be on the list.

It’s not a big deal Mav. I was just messing with you lol. I do think A&M deserves to be on that list, but I wouldn’t vote for them anyway. LSU is the best defense this year fairly easily. Maybe can make a case for Bama but the offense overshadows them so much. 

27 minutes ago, TxFight said:

On a per play basis, A&M is actually...WORSE on defense in 2018 than in 2017! But like I said they have played almost 20 fewer snaps per game! Craziness

Yes I’m yards per play they give up more. But they give up 10 few points per game and are a top 20 unit on third down. One day when i have some time I’ll do a points per drive comparison and see where they stand compared to some of the others. To me, points per drive is the only true way to measure a defense as offensive tempo plays such a major role in all the other categories. 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It’s not a big deal Mav. I was just messing with you lol. I do think A&M deserves to be on that list, but I wouldn’t vote for them anyway. LSU is the best defense this year fairly easily. Maybe can make a case for Bama but the offense overshadows them so much. 

watching the games, its clear that LSU is probably the best defense in college football right now... but if you look at stats, yards allowed per game, A&M is actually better than LSU

Here is something insane when it comes to LSU right now...  THey have played 7 games...  4 of them against ranked teams...  2 of them were in the top 10 at the time of the match up...  LSU's next 5 games, 3 of them should be vs ranked teams...  one of them in the top 5.

That is potentially 7 of 12 games vs top 25 teams... meaning 58% of their games will be vs ranked opponents at the time of the meeting... 

Unless Notre Dame has done this before, I can't think of another schedule that would match this.

27 minutes ago, TxFight said:

On a per play basis, A&M is actually...WORSE on defense in 2018 than in 2017! But like I said they have played almost 20 fewer snaps per game! Craziness

Yes I’m yards per play they give up more. But they give up 10 few points per game and are a top 20 unit on third down. One day when i have some time I’ll do a points per drive comparison and see where they stand compared to some of the others. To me, points per drive is the only true way to measure a defense as offensive tempo plays such a major role in all the other categories. 

16 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

#9 Oklahoma at TCU  11:00am  ABC

Dangerous game for Oklahoma.  TCU would possibly be a 1 loss team without the turnovers...  Can they fix their QB for one game and really rock the B12 landscape?  I seriously doubt it.  The safe bet is OU by 18.

I honestly have no idea. Real talk. I'm not poor mouthing. I really and truly have no idea how to call this one. 

Mike is gone (praise Jeezus) but I have no idea what that means for us.

Is it a good thing? I hope so. I mean, c'mon, it couldn't be worse right?  <gulp>  R-r-right?

42 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Here is something insane when it comes to LSU right now...  THey have played 7 games...  4 of them against ranked teams...  2 of them were in the top 10 at the time of the match up...  LSU's next 5 games, 3 of them should be vs ranked teams...  one of them in the top 5.

That is potentially 7 of 12 games vs top 25 teams... meaning 58% of their games will be vs ranked opponents at the time of the meeting... 

Unless Notre Dame has done this before, I can't think of another schedule that would match this.

That’s crazy! I took a look at Texas teams from the past and the most I found was 5 games can ranked teams in 2008, but one was the bowl game. 

This years Texas team has played 3 vs ranked teams with WVU in 2 weeks and a potentially for Tech and/or Iowa St to be ranked before they play Texas. Possible for 6 but most likely 5. 

I mean yeah Bama hasn't played anyone that tough but Washington is 5-2 with wins over North Dakota (lol), BYU (4-3), Utah (4-2), Arizona State (3-3), and UCLA (1-5). They lost to a bad Auburn team (who Bama has on the schedule) and Oregon. 

Is that real competition?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Oh i'm with you. The article I was reading was praising Jimbo's temp and how it has helped the offense. Complimenting him on doing exactly what he needed to do with an undermanned roster (for his style); controlling the time of possession and the ball and limiting how many snaps the defense had to play. If the ratio holds out the rest of the year...the defense will have played basically 3 entire games worth of snaps less than last years unit.

22 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I mean yeah Bama hasn't played anyone that tough but Washington is 5-2 with wins over North Dakota (lol), BYU (4-3), Utah (4-2), Arizona State (3-3), and UCLA (1-5). They lost to a bad Auburn team (who Bama has on the schedule) and Oregon. 

Is that real competition?

Looking at Bamas schedule It’s very similar to what Washington has played. 

Right now Bamas best wins is vs 5-2 ATM and 5-2 Ole Miss.  Other than that it’s 1-6 Arkansas, 2-5 Louisville, 2-4 ULL, 3-3 Missouri, 3-3 Arkansas State.