Week 9: Marshall (5-2, 4-0) Vs. Nacogdoches (3-4, 2-2)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Nac  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Nac by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Nac in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

The defense, the running game and Bender. He is going to have to hand the ball off when the zone read dictates instead of keeping it every time. We will need to utilize Tahj on the jet sweep to keep the OLB honest. Maybe mix in some bubble screens and the 50/50 deep ball when Savion has man coverage is never a bad play.

Decision on JJ will be known tomorrow. 

No clue why the delay. 

Either there was an infraction or there wasn’t. 

Unless he got tossed when it should have been someone else. 

I just know JJ and the Jax defender were tossed at the same time Friday. 

Last Nac win in Nac was 1993.  

Last Nac wins at Marshall was 2006 and 1999 

They  got their shot Friday with JJ sitting the first half. 

Hope we can weather the storm.  This is a big test for our defense AND for an offense that hasn’t proven itself without JJ. 

Mav sub-varsities:

The Maverick 8th grade Red team is (6-0).  They Have 2 more games left.

Not sure about the 8th grade white team.  I'll see what I can find out.

The Mav Freshman A team is (0-7, 0-4).  No word on the B team since their schedule is so erratic.  Not everyone in 9-5A has a 9th B team.  Been rough this season.

The Mav JV is (4-3, 4-0).  Losses to Tyler Lee, Longview, and Carthage in non-district.

SOOO.... there is a chance Marshall could walk away with district titles in Varsity, JV, and 8th grade.  Freshmen teams are struggling.

So some things to be excited about.... and some things to work on in the future. 

Marshall is 34-15-1 Vs Nac all-time. 

First met in 1917 (Marshall won 3-0).  Last met in 2014 in a Bi-district playoff game (Marshall won 67-42)

Last time they were district rivals was 2010 and 2011.

Longest Marshall winning streak was 7 from 1975-1981.

Longest Nac winning streak was 4 from 1971-1974.

By Decade:

2010's: Marshall leads 3-0
2000's: Marshall leads 5-1
1990's: Marshall leads 7-3
1980's Marshall leads 7-3
1970's Marshall leads 5-4
1960's NO GAMES
1950's: Marshall leads 2-1-1
1940's Marshall leads 3-2
1930's Nac leads 1-0
1920's: Marshall leads 1--0
1910's: Marshall leads 1-0

15 minutes ago, DawgPound73 said:

Nac could actually jump out with the stud from Marshall out for first half and then hope they are ahead enough to slow the comeback.  We know Nac doesn’t play D in the 2nd half.  

We don’t make adjustments kids be in the locker room doing whatever they want to that has came from one of the players.

10 minutes ago, Sideliner said:

Mavs roll big time in this one. 48-14

I hope so. 

But the offense sure seemed to struggle Vs Hallsville and MP after JJ was pulled out because of big leads.

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

We don’t make adjustments kids be in the locker room doing whatever they want to that has came from one of the players.

Here this guy is again.  Making false statements.   Every HS coach in Texas makes adjustments, meets with kids and then the kids have to go out and execute the adjustments.  You must have something against someone up there.  Or have a kid, cousin, nephew or something in the program, or that has been kicked out of the program.  Why don’t you go and meet with a coach or coaches that you have problems with.  

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I hope so. 

But the offense sure seemed to struggle Vs Hallsville and MP after JJ was pulled out because of big leads.

I think after the defensive starters were pulled because of the big lead against MP and got rolled, it effected the play calling on offense.....i.e. going extremely conservative trying to avoid mistakes......against Nac if the starting defense plays like they have recently the offense will be fine, just have to play loose and avoid going into a shell......certainly not start throwing the ball all over the place in the 1st half, but be a little more balanced, then open it up after halftime.....Mavs still win going away.....

7 hours ago, HESALIVE said:

Here this guy is again.  Making false statements.   Every HS coach in Texas makes adjustments, meets with kids and then the kids have to go out and execute the adjustments.  You must have something against someone up there.  Or have a kid, cousin, nephew or something in the program, or that has been kicked out of the program.  Why don’t you go and meet with a coach or coaches that you have problems with.  

Did anybody say something ??? 

Marshall Offensive stats

Passing yards: 1,598

Rushing Yards: 1,570

Total Yards: 3,068

3 Wide WR's with over 300 yards.
A 4th WR with almost 200.

Running game struggled early in the season; esp against Longview and Carthage....but has really come alive.

2 guys have more than 400 yards rushing.
A third has over 200 yards..... and a fourth has almost 200.

Gonna have to go the first half without QB JJ......who has been stellar
He's 92-162 for 1,524 yards with 23 touchdowns and 6 interceptions.

Gonna need a big game from the defense for 24 mins.  Keep Nac in check and hope to keep it close until halftime.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:00 PM, nacdragon07 said:

23 hours ago, HESALIVE said:

I have heard the same things, not saying whats true and what isn't. Losing games breeds these types of rumors and descent among the fan base. 

Here is a fact for you, we have not scored a point on the first drive of the second half all year!!!

Going back to REL game we gave up 20 Pts in the 3rd QTR and scored ZERO. Lost by 10

Lindale game we didn't score after deferring on the opening kickoff and we gave up points on the first drive of the 3rd QTR. 27 2nd qtr points given up..Lost by 12

WH game defered to the second half and failed to score in the 3rd QTR and gave up 22 Pts in the last 9 minutes of the game.  Lost by 4 after being up 31-13

PT Game defered to the 2nd half-gave up points on the opening drive-failed to score to start the 3rd and gave up 32(22 in the 4th) second half points. PT has given up huge yardage on the ground to everyone they have played. We ran well, but we were determined to throw the ball in the 2nd half in a monsoon. We were getting 7 yards a carry and burning clock and then we just stopped!!! Almost cost us the game!!!

So whether we make adjustments or not, we definitely haven't out adjusted anyone. We also have given up 22 points in the 4th QTR in back to back weeks. 

We will have to have a good game on both sides of the ball with zero turnovers to have a chance this week!! I still think we can do it, and we are due for a complete effort at home sometime this year. No time like this week to do it!!!! 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

I have heard the same things, not saying whats true and what isn't. Losing games breeds these types of rumors and descent among the fan base. 

Here is a fact for you, we have not scored a point on the first drive of the second half all year!!!

Going back to REL game we gave up 20 Pts in the 3rd QTR and scored ZERO. Lost by 10

Lindale game we didn't score after deferring on the opening kickoff and we gave up points on the first drive of the 3rd QTR. 27 2nd qtr points given up..Lost by 12

WH game defered to the second half and failed to score in the 3rd QTR and gave up 22 Pts in the last 9 minutes of the game.  Lost by 4 after being up 31-13

PT Game defered to the 2nd half-gave up points on the opening drive-failed to score to start the 3rd and gave up 32(22 in the 4th) second half points. PT has given up huge yardage on the ground to everyone they have played. We ran well, but we were determined to throw the ball in the 2nd half in a monsoon. We were getting 7 yards a carry and burning clock and then we just stopped!!! Almost cost us the game!!!

So whether we make adjustments or not, we definitely haven't out adjusted anyone. We also have given up 22 points in the 4th QTR in back to back weeks. 

We will have to have a good game on both sides of the ball with zero turnovers to have a chance this week!! I still think we can do it, and we are due for a complete effort at home sometime this year. No time like this week to do it!!!! 

I can understand that.  But not saying coaches don’t make adjustments is crazy.  Again, kids have to take the adjustments made and excute them.  I didn’t see PT game.  I talked to a close friend who has a kid on the team.  He said the 1st play out from half was a wide open drop ball.  

I was at the Jacksonville game.  I thought they did a pretty good job the whole game.  Fumbling the ball 3-4 times inside the 10 yard line.  

Nacwagons.....isn’t the team pretty young?  Maybe that has something to do with coming out 2nd half. 

2 hours ago, HESALIVE said:

I can understand that.  But not saying coaches don’t make adjustments is crazy.  Again, kids have to take the adjustments made and excute them.  I didn’t see PT game.  I talked to a close friend who has a kid on the team.  He said the 1st play out from half was a wide open drop ball.  

I was at the Jacksonville game.  I thought they did a pretty good job the whole game.  Fumbling the ball 3-4 times inside the 10 yard line.  

Nacwagons.....isn’t the team pretty young?  Maybe that has something to do with coming out 2nd half. 

PT game was full of dropped balls, fumbles and missed throws. Would have loved to see the PT game in dry conditions, I think both teams break the scoreboard!!!  Jacksonville was our most complete game, without the turnovers, they were unforced errors. We should have beat Jax by 35 points!! W ehad over 600 yards of offense and held them to under 200 yds. 

Yes the team is mainly Sophomores and Juniors, which is why I trying to stay optimistic this team is having to learn how to win games. Could very easily explain execution, but the young excuse will expire very soon. 

I want this team to make the playoffs so bad, even if we are one and done at the hands of Huntsville. That experience for this young group will be invaluable!!! 

Any success in a program that has had so little could be the tipping point to going on a run like Whitehouse did from 2004-2014.

Mav JV with a thrilling 36-30 win over Nacogdoches tonight with just 0:02 left in the game. 

They improve to 5-3 on the season... but more importantly (5-0) in district play!

Nac freshmen won 29-6. Mav freshmen now 0-8.  Ugh. 

Uneasy about this game. 

Hope the offense doesn’t put the defense in a hole with the QB out in the first half. 

Survive the storm and go out and win it after halftime. 

Hopefully the offense will hum without JJ. We shall see.

Will be heading to Nac in a few hours. 

Go Mavs go!

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Uneasy about this game. 

Hope the offense doesn’t put the defense in a hole with the QB out in the first half. 

Survive the storm and go out and win it after halftime. 

Hopefully the offense will hum without JJ. We shall see.

Will be heading to Nac in a few hours. 

Go Mavs go!

Safe travels!!! Hoping Nac can break the home losing streak tonight!!! Would like to see the offense come out firing and defense getting after the running game. Feel very uneasy about trying to hold any lead. This is the only game that Nac. can afford to lose the rest of the season, but a win would almost guarantee a playoff spot.

FEAR THE FIRE!!!!! GO DRAGONS!!!!!!