Week 9: Cushing Bearkats (5-1| 1-1) @ Alto Yellowjackets (4-3 | 1-1) - 10/26/18

StingEmALTO

10-2A D1: Cushing @ Alto   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alto
    • Cushing

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/27/2018 at 12:30 AM

6 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

Didn’t seem like Alto wanted to play hard in the 2nd half.... Alto did have about 3 TDS called back on count of penalties.  Long TDs

I disagree with you on the not playing hard statement. I thought both teams fought and played hard through the entire game. But those TDs being called back for penalties is definitely frustrating. Good luck to Cushing the rest of the way. I hope y’all make it in. 

1 hour ago, JACKETLIFE said:

What’s going on that we can’t get these turnovers and penalties corrected?

Got a chance to watch this one in person. I only recall 1 turnover for Alto and that came on the very 1st possession. You’d like to see them punch that in though. I was on the far end of the field from it, but it looked like the QB bobbled the snap from the get go and never had full possession while trying to hand it off. Tough break, but thought they responded real well as they scored on their next 4 possessions. 

Field was a sloppy mess with very poor footing. I thought the QB threw the ball decently and just missed on a couple of throws that would’ve been big plays/TDs. A lot better than the last time I saw them in person. 

If I was a betting man, Alto probably ran less than 50 plays. Cushing really milked the clock by running the play in from the sideline old school style. Even saw the refs let them get away with a delay of game penalty or two. 

I thought in the 2nd half the officiating became very....I don’t know what the right word is. It’s like they were trying to make sure the score stayed respectable, even though that is nowhere in their job description. A couple of times it was almost like the white hat saw that alto had a big play and just casually tossed his flag out late to keep the score from happening. Very strangely officiated for sure. 

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Alto tonight. After listening last week I was curious to see if they would respond and play good football, or still be licking their wounds and let 1 loss turn into 2. Thought this had trap game written all over it and very solid efficient 1st half (4 TDs on 5 possessions) showed me all I needed to know. 

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to see this bunch play again in person. There is some talent on the field for sure and they could cause some team to lose a little bit of sleep come playoff time. 

• Like 1

Not sure about the referee comments. I mean I saw some questionable calls, but I’m so used to our penalties at this point. Hat off to Cushing for playing hard. They’re not there just yet, but they have kids that will play whistle to whistle (or no whistle as was the case some last night lol) Either way, hope they can get in somehow. And I thought our qb threw the ball exceptionally well last night.

• Like 1

From the Jacksonville Daily Progress:

Alto posts victory over Cushing

Alto 27

Cushing 8

ALTO — The Alto football train got back on the winning track Friday night at Cam'rom Matthews Field at Jacket Stadium where the Mean Sting crushed Cushing 27-8 on Senior Night. The final score could have been even worse for Cushing had Alto not had a couple of touchdowns called back due to penalties.

The Yellowjackets moved to 5-3, 2-1 in District 10-2A-I with the victory while the Bearkats dropped to 5-3, 1-2. Alto will travel to Hawkins on Nov. 2 and close out the regular season a week later with a trip to Union Grove.

72ED636C-CDD4-4404-A7B2-002B02F171D5.jpeg

29 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

From the Jacksonville Daily Progress:

Alto posts victory over Cushing

Alto 27

Cushing 8

ALTO — The Alto football train got back on the winning track Friday night at Cam'rom Matthews Field at Jacket Stadium where the Mean Sting crushed Cushing 27-8 on Senior Night. The final score could have been even worse for Cushing had Alto not had a couple of touchdowns called back due to penalties.

The Yellowjackets moved to 5-3, 2-1 in District 10-2A-I with the victory while the Bearkats dropped to 5-3, 1-2. Alto will travel to Hawkins on Nov. 2 and close out the regular season a week later with a trip to Union Grove.

72ED636C-CDD4-4404-A7B2-002B02F171D5.jpeg

Hope the ug field is in better shape in a couple weeks than it was last night, lol heard Gerald slipped just walking up to talk the snap a couple times... Hahahaha 

1 hour ago, upullinmychain said:

Hope the ug field is in better shape in a couple weeks than it was last night, lol heard Gerald slipped just walking up to talk the snap a couple times... Hahahaha 

Ours was a little spongy itself! 😂 Y’all never do send that helipcoter. Waited and waited. 😂 😂 😂 Last varsity game for the season so it will just be the youngsters slipping and sliding from here on out! 

1 hour ago, upullinmychain said:

Oh and congrats for getting focused last night jackets.. Chain out 

Thanks, Chain! It was good to get the dub. Always makes my feelings better when we WIN! 😂 

Congratulations to the Indians on the wood shedding. Lol Looks like that Cushing and UG game is a play-IN!

8 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thanks, Chain! It was good to get the dub. Always makes my feelings better when we WIN! 😂 

Congratulations to the Indians on the wood shedding. Lol Looks like that Cushing and UG game is a play-IN!

From video I'm seeing, Cush has the speed advantage in that game.. 

4 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

From video I'm seeing, Cush has the speed advantage in that game.. 

They beat UG 24-13 last year so I would expect them to win this one as well. Two of their pre-district wins last year were Hawkins and UG. Cushing is better this year. I expect they will have at least two district wins THIS year! Re-alignment can be a beautiful thing. Lol

Alto takes team lauds

Alto (5-3, 2-1) got a solid effort from its offense while the Yellowjacket defense stepped up in a major way and nearly pitched a shut out in the Mean Sting's 27-8 win over Cushing on Friday night, which was Senior Night at Jacket Stadium. Alto has earned the Progress Team of the Week nod.

Defensively Cayle Irvin had a team-best 13 tackles. He also tossed in three tackles for loss and had two quarterback sacks.

Harmon West racked up eight stops and was credited with one tackle for loss and an interception.

Meanwhile Foster Hall tallied eight tackles to compliment a pair of tackles for loss and a sack.

On the offensive side, Vi'Dareous High carried 18 times for 232 yards and two touchdowns. High is one yard shy of having 1,700 yards rushing for the season.

The Yellowjackets will visit Hawkins at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.

739E508C-F86E-4EEA-B368-8E6A9830D0C9.jpeg