5AD2 Playoff Mock

TheTrueKing

Round 1
W1 Ysleta Parkland (9-1, 5-0) vs F2 EP Burges (7-3, 3-3)
R4 FW Southwest (7-3, 5-1) vs T3 Canyon Randall (4-6, 3-2)
W2 EP Andress (7-3, 6-0) vs F1 Clint Horizon (4-6, 2-3)
R3 Abilene Wylie (4-6, 4-1) vs T4 FW Eastern Hills (4-6, 4-2)
W3 Lubbock-Cooper (10-0, 5-0) vs F4 FW Wyatt (4-5, 3-3)
R2 EP Irvin (7-3, 4-2) vs T1 Ysleta Hanks (6-4, 3-2)
W4 Northwest (8-2, 6-0) vs F3 Wichita Falls Rider (3-7, 2-3)
R1 Ysleta (8-2, 3-2) vs T2 El Paso (5-5, 3-3)
W5 Aledo (10-0, 8-0) vs F6 Dallas Spruce (4-6, 4-3)
R8 Kaufman (8-1, 7-1) vs T7 Lake Dallas (8-2, 6-2)
W6 Dallas South Oak Cliff (9-0, 7-0) vs F5 Midlothian (7-3, 5-3)
R7 Lovejoy (8-1, 7-1) vs T8 Ennis (6-3, 6-2)
W7 Frisco Reedy (10-0, 8-0) vs F8 Sulphur Springs (6-3, 5-3)
R6 Red Oak (9-1, 6-1) vs T5 Burleson (8-2, 6-2)
W8 Corsicana (9-1, 8-0) vs F7 Denison (6-4, 5-3)
R5 Burleson Centennial (9-1, 7-1) vs T6 Dallas Kimball (8-2, 5-2)
W9 Marshall (8-2, 7-0) vs F10 Montgomery (4-6, 4-3)
R12 Crosby (9-1, 6-1) vs T11 Fort Bend Willowridge (7-3, 6-2)
W10 Huntsville (9-1, 7-0) vs F9 Pine Tree (6-4, 4-3)
R11 Manvel (8-2, 7-1) vs T12 Vidor (8-2, 5-2)
W11 Fort Bend Marshall (10-0, 8-0) vs F12 Nederland (8-2, 5-2)
R10 A&M Consolidated (9-1, 6-1) vs T9 Lindale (5-5, 4-3)
W12 Port Neches-Groves (7-3, 6-1) vs F11 Houston Northside (5-5, 4-4)
R9 Whitehouse (8-2, 6-1) vs T10 Lamar Consolidated (8-2, 5-2)
W13 Georgetown East View (7-3, 6-1) vs F14 Boerne-Champion (6-4, 4-3)
R16 Sharyland Pioneer (7-3, 5-1) vs T15 Alice (7-3, 5-2)
W14 Kerrville Tivy (9-1, 7-0) vs F13 Bastrop (6-4, 4-3)
R15 Port Lavaca Calhoun (7-3, 5-2) vs T16 Sharyland (5-5, 4-2)
W15 Calallen (9-1, 7-0) vs F16 Mercedes (4-6, 3-3)
R14 Medina Valley (8-2, 6-1) vs T13 Brenham (6-4, 5-2)
W16 Pharr Valley View (10-0, 6-0) vs F15 Gregory-Portland (7-3, 4-3)
R13 Leander Glenn (7-3, 6-1) vs T14 Alamo Heights (7-3, 5-2)

Round 2
Ysleta Parkland  vs Canyon Randall
EP Andress vs Abilene Wylie
Lubbock-Cooper vs EP Irvin
Northwest vs Ysleta
Aledo vs Kaufman
Midlothian vs Ennis
Frisco Reedy vs Red Oak
Corsicana vs Burleson Centennial
Marshall vs Crosby 
Huntsville vs Manvel
Fort Bend Marshall vs A&M Consolidated
Port Neches-Groves vs Lamar Consolidated
Georgetown East View vs Sharyland Pioneer 
Kerrville Tivy vs Port Lavaca Calhoun 
Calallen  vs Medina Valley
Pharr Valley View vs Alamo Heights 

Round 3
Ysleta Parkland vs EP Andress 
Lubbock-Cooper vs Northwest  
Aledo vs Midlothian
Frisco Reedy vs Burleson Centennial
Marshall vs Manvel
Fort Bend Marshall vs Port Neches-Groves
Georgetown East View vs Kerrville Tivy 
Calallen vs Alamo Heights

Round 4
Ysleta Parkland vs Lubbock-Cooper 
Aledo vs Frisco Reedy
Manvel vs Fort Bend Marshall
Kerrville Tivy vs Calallen 

Round 5
Lubbock-Cooper vs Aledo 
Fort Bend Marshall vs Calallen

Round 6
Aledo vs Fort Bend Marshall

Read more: http://texxas5asports.proboards.com/thread/6746/2018-playoff-projections-season-update?page=7#ixzz5Uas3OGrE

Based on the update D8 will struggle in the playoffs.  Cana will be a favorite, Kaufman against LJ is a tough draw for KTown and a toss up IMO, KTown is good but my pick would be LJ, I could be very wrong on this pick.  Reedy will destroy Ennis they just aren't the same Ennis yet, maybe they sneak in and start rolling in the playoffs but not likely against Reedy.  I can see SS dropping Lake Dallas only to face Aledo in area round...ouch.

When district 8 was announced I thought it would be one of the tougher districts in 5ad2, i just haven't been that impressed at all with the offenses in the district.  I guess we'll see...playoff football is only a few weeks away...can't wait.

I wouldn't pick Reedy but I would not be surprised to see them upset Aledo in the regional round.

2 hours ago, TheTrueKing said:

Do you think Reedy is that good or believe Aledo is overrated?

I think Reedy is an up and coming program that won't be intimidated by playing someone like Aledo.  They have to get past Burleson Centennial first, but for a third year varsity team they look impressive.  Like I said, I wouldn't pick them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

37 minutes ago, TheTrueKing said:

I think South Oak Cliff beats Kaufman in the 2nd round. 

I guess i am just not sold on Kaufman getting to round 2 yet, they are a good team no doubt, and every team has a bad night, but them struggling against Greenville and winning in the last minute just lingers a bit with me.  If they face Lovejoy in the first round that will be a heck of a game IMO.  Lovejoy has blown the doors off of everyone on their schedule with the exception of Reedy who demolished the Leopards.  Lovejoy has been a good playoff team (minus last year) for quite some time, even after moving up a classification 4-6 years ago.  SOC could be a real sleeper this year, they played well and beat Dallas Skyline early this year and Skyline is always pretty dang solid. 

• Like 1

Projections make for good forum chatter but are normally pretty far off.  Still 3 weeks of Football.

As far as Reedy is concerned, they are huge.  The tallest team I've ever seen in High School football, and I catch a few 6A games each year.  Reedy's O-line is huge and their front 7 are really good.  Very tall secondary with even taller receivers.  They don't have blazing speed but close as a team fast.  Their receivers don't pull away, but they high-point the ball well and bump the smaller DB's while the ball is in the air.  They also seem to lack depth or don't trust their depth.  Most of their starters played deep into the Lovejoy game and I was told they did the same against other opponents.  As soon as they subbed D-lineman/linebackers Lovejoy immediately started making big gains and the starters came right back in.  One of their players does everything.  He is the starting MLB, Punter, Kicker (kickoffs and field goals), Wildcat QB and best defender on Special Teams.  They stay healthy and they will shock some people.  They were significantly bigger in almost all positions than Lovejoy and by mid-way through the second that size and weight advantage began to grind LJ down.  They won't be able to grind down Aledo who can match a lot of their size and Aledo has the best depth in 5A (D1 or D2).  If Reedy stays healthy they may get a chance to play Aledo in the Regional Finals.

• 8 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, Leopard4Life said:

Projections make for good forum chatter but are normally pretty far off.  Still 3 weeks of Football.

As far as Reedy is concerned, they are huge.  The tallest team I've ever seen in High School football, and I catch a few 6A games each year.  Reedy's O-line is huge and their front 7 are really good.  Very tall secondary with even taller receivers.  They don't have blazing speed but close as a team fast.  Their receivers don't pull away, but they high-point the ball well and bump the smaller DB's while the ball is in the air.  They also seem to lack depth or don't trust their depth.  Most of their starters played deep into the Lovejoy game and I was told they did the same against other opponents.  As soon as they subbed D-lineman/linebackers Lovejoy immediately started making big gains and the starters came right back in.  One of their players does everything.  He is the starting MLB, Punter, Kicker (kickoffs and field goals), Wildcat QB and best defender on Special Teams.  They stay healthy and they will shock some people.  They were significantly bigger in almost all positions than Lovejoy and by mid-way through the second that size and weight advantage began to grind LJ down.  They won't be able to grind down Aledo who can match a lot of their size and Aledo has the best depth in 5A (D1 or D2).  If Reedy stays healthy they may get a chance to play Aledo in the Regional Finals.

Reedy did get to play Aledo and it played out pretty much like I thought it would, however, the weather was a major factor and really limited Reedys passing game.  I would have loved to see this game indoors or in better weather.