Houston Astros Off Season

Wild74

• 2 weeks later...

The Houston Astros have acquired outfielder Ross Adolph, catcher Scott Manea and infielder Luis Santana from the New York Mets, in exchange for infielder J.D. Davis and infielder Cody Bohanek, President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Jeff Luhnow announced today.

Adolph, Manea and Santana, all minor league players, each had solid 2018 seasons in the Mets system.

Adolph, 22, was named Team MVP in 2018 for the Brooklyn Cyclones (Short A Level), batting .276 in 61 games with nine doubles, 12 triples, seven home runs, 35 RBI and 14 steals. He posted a .509 slugging pct. and an .857 OPS. His 12 triples were tops in the NY-Penn League. Defensively, Adolph did not commit an error in 2018 while tallying five assists. Adolph was selected by the Mets in the 12th round of the 2018 June Draft after starring at Toledo, where he earned All-America honors.

Manea, 23, was a South Atlantic League All-Star for Columbia (Class A) in 2018, where he hit .261 in 100 games with 12 homers and 53 RBI with a .432 slugging pct. and .368 on-base pct. (.800 OPS). In 65 games behind the plate, he threw out 37.7 % of basestealers.

Santana, 19, led the Kingsport Mets (Rookie Level) in batting (.348) and OPS (.917) in 2018 in his 53 games with 13 doubles, four homers and 35 RBI with eight steals. His .348 average ranked fifth in the Appalachian League. In his four seasons in the Mets system, Santana, a Dominican Republic native, has hit a combined .329 (170x516) with 98 RBI and an .891 OPS.

Davis, 25, split time between the Astros Major League club and Triple A Fresno in 2018. He hit .175 (18x103) in 42 games in Houston with a home run and five RBI, and .342 (114x333) in 85 games with Fresno (AAA) with 17 home runs and 81 RBI. Davis has appeared in 67 Major League games overall in his career (2017–18 combined).

Bohanek, 22, had stints at three levels in 2018, with stops at Fresno (11 games), Buies Creek (65 games) and Quad Cities (44 games). For the season, he hit a combined .214 in 120 games serving as a utility infielder. Bohanek appeared in 70 games at second base, 31 games at third base and 15 at shortstop, committing just three errors overall for the season.

1 hour ago, THSfanatic said:

I like the trade.     Gives us more talent down the road.   Davis is as major league ready as he’s gonna get but  was completely blocked in the Astros organization.    Might as well go with the trade for future potential 

I think this was to help set up a trade for Realmuto 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wild74 said:

Rotation if season started today
1. Justin Verlander, RHP
2. Gerrit Cole, RHP
3. Collin McHugh, RHP
4. Josh James, RHP
5. Framber Valdez, LHP

From the Astros web page...I think Whitley makes the starting this year. 

I think he starts in the minors.   He certainly has the stuff to start out the #3 starter, but I figure they will hold him as long as possible to keep his clock from starting.  He definitely will by starting by summer barring injury.

55 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Astros need a couple of top lefties.  A starter and a reliever  …

I agree with you in a perfect world.  But I've got a lot of confidence in their young pitchers. I would have loved to see a really good DH brought in (Nelson Cruz was my choice).  I really don't see any out there at this point.

8 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I really REALLY hope the reports the Astros may resign Keuchel are not true.    We need to move on and save money for the free agents coming.     Don’t need to resign a player on the decline 

If he is resigning with Houston, then he isnt getting the money he wanted...

2 hours ago, Wild74 said:

I would have thought he wouldn't have won the case since he had a bad year with the injury, I'm looking for a good turn around year from him.  

I agree, he didn't make a lot of noise last year ... hoping he turns into a long term steady producer ....

Phillies land Realmuto.      I'm really kind of relieved. While it would be a great addition I didn't want to part with any of the top talent. I'd rather hold those chips if disaster strikes and somebody like Verlander or Cole gets injured.  I'm happy sitting where we are and holding onto that 3rd rated Minor League system rating :)

1 hour ago, THSfanatic said:

Phillies land Realmuto.      I'm really kind of relieved. While it would be a great addition I didn't want to part with any of the top talent. I'd rather hold those chips if disaster strikes and somebody like Verlander or Cole gets injured.  I'm happy sitting where we are and holding onto that 3rd rated Minor League system rating :)

Philly is going to be really good and really quickly. Interested to see if they are still in the Harper/Machado sweepstakes or if they wait for Trout and pursue him.