Houston Astros Off Season

Wild74

That trade was crazy and some kind of game changer. The names Houston is linked to right now are pretty crazy. Still in the hunt for Harper. I'm hearing names like Goldschmidt, Paxton, Miller, and Realmuto. Obviously we aren't getting all of these guys, but the fact ownership is showing a willingness to pay, and we are constantly looking to build, it's hard not to be excited about the future...

Astros acquire Aledmys Díaz from Toronto

1*W0kDuMvvVl6jI3Hna6II5Q.jpeg

The Houston Astros added a utility infielder to their roster on Saturday as Aledmys Díaz, 28, was acquired from the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for minor- league RHP Trent Thornton.

“He’s got some versatility, got some power and can do a lot of things. It seems like it’s an opportunity for us to improve our team,” Jeff Luhnow told reporters.

Across Díaz’s three Major League seasons (2016 and 2017 with St. Louis; 2018 with Toronto), he appeared in 269 games at shortstop, 42 games at third base, three games in left field and two games at second base.

“He can play short, he can play second, he can play a little bit of left, can play third. This is a guy about as versatile as any of the other guys on our roster,” Luhnow added.

It’s clear his plug-and-play approach is going to be an asset to the team on the field—the same can be said about his production at the plate.

Last season with the Blue Jays, Díaz played in 130 games batting .263 (111x422) with 26 doubles, 55 RBI, a .756 OPS (.303 OBP/.453 SLG) and a career-high 18 home runs. While that’s certainly an impressive stat line, Luhnow has reason to believe he’ll continue to progress.

“He’s a good hitter and we think he can be better. He’s still coming into his prime.”

A native of Santa Clara, Cuba, Díaz made the National League All-Star Team as a rookie in 2016, batting .300 with 28 doubles, 17 homers, 65 RBI and an .879 OPS (.369 OBP/.510 SLG) in 111 games for the Cardinals.

With the acquisition of Díaz, the Astros 40-man roster stands at 35 players, giving them some room to fill the holes left by free agents Evan Gattis, Marwin Gonzalez, Dallas Keuchel, Martin Maldonado, Brian McCann, Charlie Morton, and Tony Sipp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Michael Brantley working on a 2yr/$32m deal to play 1B and some OF for the Stros.

This is a definite upgrade in left field. If Brantley can stay healthy you are talking about a legit .300+ hitter and plus defender. Also adds a much needed left handed bat. He has a very high contact ratio with few Ks.  

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Think they’ll move Reddick now?

I'm sure they would like to.  I don't see anybody taking that contract though. Can't help but like Reddick because his personality fits the team. A plus defender but a liability with his bat. I'd rather have Tucker or Kemp in the lineup.

I do think this could open a possibility of moving Tucker though. I wouldn't be for it unless you blew me away. I considered him untouchable last year. Now I would only rate Whitley as absolutely off-limits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm sure they would like to.  I don't see anybody taking that contract though. Can't help but like Reddick because his personality fits the team. A plus defender but a liability with his bat. I'd rather have Tucker or Kemp in the lineup.

I do think this could open a possibility of moving Tucker though. I wouldn't be for it unless you blew me away. I considered him untouchable last year. Now I would only rate Whitley as absolutely off-limits.

Definitely seems like someone will be moving. I think this also signals that we are officially out of the Bryce Harper Sweepstakes. 

2 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Everybody likes Jake.    But business is business.   Gotta let Marisnick or Reddick go.     With Reddicks contract it will be Marisnick 

I would rather keep Marisnick and let Reddick move on. I would like to give Tucker a shot at opening the season and see what he can do, didn't show much last year but knowing he will start might help.