Houston Astros Off Season

Wild74

Yesterday Jeff Lunhow confirmed reports the Astros had a deal in place to acquire Bryce Harper at the deadline last season. 

"There was an agreement in principle in place and it didn't get over the finish line for whatever reason, out of our control. But, yeah, we had interest," Luhnow told the media Thursday at the Astros' spring training. "We had worked out an agreement with players both ways. But those things have approval levels they have to go through and it didn't happen so we moved on."

Would have been a HUGE deal for the ALCS series against Boston. Obviously our pitching had their issues, but our bats would have been significantly better. I just want to know what approval levels nixed the deal. If it was ownership on the Nationals part, that makes it two years in a row the Astros have been hosed by a owner, only to see him walk for significantly less the next season (See: Baltimore, Zach Britton)

• 3 weeks later...

Seen Whitley pitch a inning or two and he looked really good and then a few games later he got lit up. White don't seem to be having a good hitting spring as of yet. I am ready for the season to get started. Keuchel from what I read has not caught on to a team yet, wants to many guaranteed years.  He might get some good money for a couple of years if he would sign

5 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Seen where Astros are talking to Keuchel again, he is still looking for a long term deal nobody wants to give him one, If I was Houston I wouldn't either

I wouldn't offer him more than a one or two year deal, at the most ...

• Like 1

Honestly I wouldn't offer him.   And certainly not beyond a year.   He is a declining pitcher.    We need to move on.  There is a reason nobody is offering him.  And there is a reason the Astros didn't aggressively go after CM (obviously health).   I trust their pitching decisions at this point

I wish Keuchel the best. But somebody is going to get burned and I don't want it to be us

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

I get its a business and the Astros are watching where they spend, but they need to remember this is a business for Bregman. Not working in good faith with one of their best players will not help them when free agency rolls around. Bregman may love Houston, but not working in good faith means the likelihood of a hometown discount starts to decline...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

I get its a business and the Astros are watching where they spend, but they need to remember this is a business for Bregman. Not working in good faith with one of their best players will not help them when free agency rolls around. Bregman may love Houston, but not working in good faith means the likelihood of a hometown discount starts to decline...

I seen that, they offered him a lot less than they did Correa at this point in his career and Bregman had a very good year in 2018. 

21 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

It is a fine line to walk for both sides.    I’d like to see them give Bregman more.    I’ve got a feeling Correa will leave at the earliest possible moment.     I think if they treat Bregman right he could be a long time Astro

I am hoping your wrong about Correa but his potential could out price the Astros, but Correa has shown potential, if he has a really big season without injury Astros could lose him down the road to big money. 

I think he will have a great year.  I remember reading about him when he was drafted about his dreams of playing for the Yankees I believe it was.  I've just got a gut feeling he will end up in NY or Boston eventually.  I can't even imagine the money he will be offered as a free agent if he stays injury free.

31 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I am beginning to think Correa may never produce on all that " potential" ...

He is having a pretty good spring and showing no effects of the bad back and that's good Altuve on the other hand says he is not hurt but Hinch isn't letting him get any at bats says he has a sore side. 

4 hours ago, Wild74 said:

He is having a pretty good spring and showing no effects of the bad back and that's good Altuve on the other hand says he is not hurt but Hinch isn't letting him get any at bats says he has a sore side. 

I hope you are right about Correa, I just haven't seem him come through in the clutch as often as he should with all that "potential" ... Altuve needs to stay healthy and relax and try to be a little more disciplined at the plate, I think he is trying too hard a lot of the time ....

5 hours ago, Wild74 said:

Angel Hernandez throws Hinch out after Hinch tells him they still have training on balls and strikes....:rofl:Him and Joe West two of the worst umpires in the league. 

Equivalent of Government employees who almost can't be fired.  They have both been known as the 2 worst for years and MLB does nothing about it. After reading multiple stories of the incident, it seems Angel was squeezing Whitley on all of his pitches. When Hinch talked to him between innings he called the first pitch of the bottom of the first a strike against Springer when it wasn't even close.  That's how petty he is

• Like 1

Mark Berman Fox 26- MLB sources: The #Astros have reached an agreement on a six-year/$100 million contract with All-Star third baseman Alex Bregman that includes this season. Deal covers this year & the 3 years he'd be eligible for arbitration plus the first two years Alex can become a free agent.

45 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Mark Berman Fox 26- MLB sources: The #Astros have reached an agreement on a six-year/$100 million contract with All-Star third baseman Alex Bregman that includes this season. Deal covers this year & the 3 years he'd be eligible for arbitration plus the first two years Alex can become a free agent.

That is good news, I guess he not being happy changed a lot of things.