Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Week 10: Alto Yellowjackets (5-3 | 2-1) @ Hawkins Hawks (2-6 | 0-3) - 11/2/18


Alto @ Hawkins  

20 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Alto
      20
    • Hawkins
      0

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/03/2018 at 12:30 AM

Recommended Posts

The Alto Yellowjackets will travel to Hawkins on November 2nd to take on the Hawks. The Jackets rebounded Friday with a win over Cushing while Hawkins fell to Big Sandy. The last time the Mean Sting played Hawkins was a 41-14 win in a regional playoff game on 11/21/2008 in Bullard. Before that, it was 1983 when the two schools were in the same district, a 26-7 Alto win. Alto leads the series 3-1-1. Not much history between these teams, but here we are in a district matchup. Who takes it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alto in a woodshedding .....

Gonna get ugly

Alto big!

Posted Images

Jackets huge

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alto. Just a warning to Jacket fans. If it’s warm next week, prepare for the mosquitos. By that I mean, keep small children tethered to an adult, because if you’re not careful, those skeeters will snatch one up and fly off with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Alto. Just a warning to Jacket fans. If it’s warm next week, prepare for the mosquitos. By that I mean, keep small children tethered to an adult, because if you’re not careful, those skeeters will snatch one up and fly off with it. 

That bad, huh?! 😂 Maybe we’ll continue with the fall temps minus the rain.....OR a good booster fundraiser idea: selling OFF in the stands?! 😆 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not that we have huge skeeters in hawkins but if the wind is out of the south blowing them in off the river then that's a different story... alto should not have a problem beating my poor hawks. unless they give them hope (turnovers) or have problem with inside the tackle runs. Alto whatever they want

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knothead58 said:

Its not that we have huge skeeters in hawkins but if the wind is out of the south blowing them in off the river then that's a different story... alto should not have a problem beating my poor hawks. unless they give them hope (turnovers) or have problem with inside the tackle runs. Alto whatever they want

Gotcha on the skeeters. 

Reaching WAY back to when Alto played Hawkins in the early 80s (and I was just in elementary school!), was there a player by the name of Edwin Simmons who was a beast? Seems like I remember that name but can’t remember if he was from Hawkins or not.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Gotcha on the skeeters. 

Reaching WAY back to when Alto played Hawkins in the early 80s (and I was just in elementary school!), was there a player by the name of Edwin Simmons who was a beast? Seems like I remember that name but can’t remember if he was from Hawkins or not.  

Yes he went to Hawkins and onto UT. He got into some trouble down there. Stanley Richards was a few years later he went to UT as well and to the chargers and redskins. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, knothead58 said:

Yes he went to Hawkins and onto UT. He got into some trouble down there. Stanley Richards was a few years later he went to UT as well and to the chargers and redskins. 

Ok, thought so. As a little kid I remember hearing about Edwin Simmons. I googled him and it said he played at Texas the fall of 1983 and ran all over Oklahoma in the Red River Shoot-Out. Everyone thought he was the next Earl Campbell, but then he had an injury that kind of derailed things. I guess he would have been a senior in 1982 because that’s one of the years we were in the same district and y’all won 42-22! Seemed like a man among boys! 😂 Looks like we played the year before, too (his junior year) in the regional round and tied 8-8. I believe Alto advanced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Ok, thought so. As a little kid I remember hearing about Edwin Simmons. I googled him and it said he played at Texas the fall of 1983 and ran all over Oklahoma in the Red River Shoot-Out. Everyone thought he was the next Earl Campbell, but then he had an injury that kind of derailed things. I guess he would have been a senior in 1982 because that’s one of the years we were in the same district and y’all won 42-22! Seemed like a man among boys! 😂 Looks like we played the year before, too (his junior year) in the regional round and tied 8-8. I believe Alto advanced. 

Yep

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, upullinmychain said:

Good job Alto.. 

Thanks, Chain. Was disappointed we didn’t win the 8th grade game; had a chance on the last drive and turned the ball over. That was these guy’s first district loss in two years and I’m a little bummed about that.

BUT, like my father-in-law has told my 13 year old  numerous times over the years: “The next best thing to playing and winning......is playing and losing.” We have a good group of kids; we’ll be alright. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thanks, Chain. Was disappointed we didn’t win the 8th grade game; had a chance on the last drive and turned the ball over. That was these guy’s first district loss in two years and I’m a little bummed about that.

BUT, like my father-in-law has told my 13 year old  numerous times over the years: “The next best thing to playing and winning......is playing and losing.” We have a good group of kids; we’ll be alright. 

I missed my boy playing tonight, he played on the 7th team and did good I'm told.. Our JV played Brownsboro and lost 20-14 but played up so I'm proud for em.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, upullinmychain said:

I missed my boy playing tonight, he played on the 7th team and did good I'm told.. Our JV played Brownsboro and lost 20-14 but played up so I'm proud for em.. 

That’s good! Glad your JV got a game. Tonight was the first time ours has played in 2 weeks!! (3 if you count the bye week). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

I missed my boy playing tonight, he played on the 7th team and did good I'm told.. Our JV played Brownsboro and lost 20-14 but played up so I'm proud for em.. 

I wish our sub varsity teams had gotten to play Carlisle. Nice to have another school in the district with 3 teams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...