2A Division 1 Region 3 Playoff Talk

villagegenius

1 hour ago, TheGodfather said:

They were in our district in ‘08 for sure when I was at the Cush so had to be D1?

I know that was before they changed the classifications but can’t remember if divisions were predetermined back then. 

I think that was back when D1 and D2 were determined at the end of regular season. All schools were in the same district and then the larger school went D1 while the other two were seeded.  But then there was also a bye thrown in there for the district champion. At least that’s how I remember it! Lol  I know that when Alto won it all in 2006 and 2007, we won the district, drew a bye, and then went D1 as the big school. 

UIL keeps changing things. Hard to keep up!

34 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I think that was back when D1 and D2 were determined at the end of regular season. All schools were in the same district and then the larger school went D1 while the other two were seeded.  But then there was also a bye thrown in there for the district champion. At least that’s how I remember it! Lol  I know that when Alto won it all in 2006 and 2007, we won the district, drew a bye, and then went D1 as the big school. 

UIL keeps changing things. Hard to keep up!

This is correct. They separated the divisions with realignment starting in 2010. Garrison won Region 3 D1 in ‘10 and ‘11, but I will correct myself. Mart won it in ‘12 and ‘13 and advanced to the finals in ‘12 where they lost to Stamford. 

Here are my five teams that I think CAN win Region 3, and why. 

I think Garrison and Carlisle have to be the favorites. I know everyone may say Carlisle hasn’t played anybody, but I see them as similar to Alabama in that they’re not just winning, they’re dominating. Can they keep that up as the competition gets better? Time will tell. Garrison is built for a playoff run, with a big, physical offensive line and a bruising back that allows them to win tough games in cold weather. I have San Augustine and Tenaha as the dark horses. They are athletic and well coached, and capable of getting on a hot streak at the right time. SA is particularly interesting because they have had five straight district games where they weren’t challenged and were able to polish up the rough edges. Tenaha bounced back from two consecutive losses and are well positioned with a clear path to round 3. Joaquin is the wild card. Very athletic, very well coached and difficult to prepare for. We just need to break the first round curse that has hamstrung us for the last several years. I really don’t think there’s another team capable of putting together four straight wins in this bracket. 

6 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Here are my five teams that I think CAN win Region 3, and why. 

I think Garrison and Carlisle have to be the favorites. I know everyone may say Carlisle hasn’t played anybody, but I see them as similar to Alabama in that they’re not just winning, they’re dominating. Can they keep that up as the competition gets better? Time will tell. Garrison is built for a playoff run, with a big, physical offensive line and a bruising back that allows them to win tough games in cold weather. I have San Augustine and Tenaha as the dark horses. They are athletic and well coached, and capable of getting on a hot streak at the right time. SA is particularly interesting because they have had five straight district games where they weren’t challenged and were able to polish up the rough edges. Tenaha bounced back from two consecutive losses and are well positioned with a clear path to round 3. Joaquin is the wild card. Very athletic, very well coached and difficult to prepare for. We just need to break the first round curse that has hamstrung us for the last several years. I really don’t think there’s another team capable of putting together four straight wins in this bracket. 

Basically you are rite,garrison is just doing garrison and nothing fancy about it,doesn't need to be because in the last couple months nobody's stopped them.Carlisle isn't really dominating teams as people are generally subject to assume,the Indians are just playing teams with pressure and letting them make mistakes and then attacking,good philosophy till we play the team that makes no major mistakes and then we'll see how they perform under extreme pressure.They showed good composure in the Troup game by bending and not breaking and forcing a mistake that cost the Tigers the game.tenaha and SA have the same achellies heel in that both are young in key positions and that tends to cause problems at times.Joe has enough seniors to carry them through the rough patches and get a job done,just at times let's mental mistakes get in the way.

The playoffs tend to bring out the weaknesses in every team and some learn from week to week how to overcome them,and those that don't,well,they go home..it's that simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

Well boys and girls, 1 game left tonight, but thus far the only game that went different than I expected was Leon beating Big Sandy. It’s battle royale time now. Same very good games about to happen. 

Garrison about to take these boys for a rough ride tonight. Garrison by several TDs 

Okay, we have round one virtually in the books, so let’s look at who is still alive. Districts 9 and 10 split their games, so you have Centerville and Leon (9) and Carlisle and Alto (10) moving on. Districts 11 and 12 went a little differently, as Tenaha is the only 3 seed to advance. District 11 is the only group to go 3-1. District 12 champ San Augustine has the look of a team that could make some noise. This week pits Alto against Garrison, Joaquin vs Carlisle, Tenaha against Centerville, and SA against Leon. The Tenaha/ Centerville matchup is intriguing. Centerville is a power run team, much like Joaquin, and that is something Tenaha struggles to defend. I don’t see Alto hanging with Garrison and I know nothing about Leon so I’m going with SA in that one. The Joaquin/ Carlisle game is definitely a must see. 

44 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

StingEm look so like your Jackets are getting zero respect outside of Cherokee county. Why ya think? Just about everyone I have seen posting about the game have said Garrison rolls. I sure thought it was mighty competitive the 1st go round. 

I have said all along from the beginning of the season that we will have to prove ourselves for people outside our field house/city limits to start believing in us again. When you have the kind of year we had last year (and the year before), and then hire an entirely new coaching staff and put in a new system, there will surely be doubters and skeptics. It has been an up and down year by Alto standards. We started on fire going 3-0 but then we hit the meaty part of our schedule with 4 very tough teams in a row. We went 1-3 in that stretch losing to some very good teams in Garrison, Corrigan-Camden, and Carlisle; we beat Big Sandy. There were growing pains, new expectations, brand new ideas, loss of a player or two for various reasons, senior quitters, and various and sundry issues that any new coach is going to face when trying to instill his new program. Coach Meeks has handled everything beautifully in my opinion. The kids have settled in and the ones that want to play ball are working hard to win ballgames and are playing with confidence. They have put together consecutive quarters of good football. Alto Football. We are protecting the ball better, minimizing penalties, playing a diverse offense and a stingy defense. We have won 4 in a row and have put ourselves in the position to get a rematch with Garrison. We have doubled our win total from a year ago and the foundation is there to continue onward and upward with what Coach Meeks has installed (with a really talented JV and 8th grade group coming). If we can hang on to the ball and play a clean game, I think we have a real shot at beating Garrison. If we do, we will have earned the respect of folks outside of Cherokee County and maybe pick up a believer or two. If we go back to the sloppy play we had earlier in the season, we’ll lose and folks will say “Well, it was a pretty good season but they have a ways to go.”  Either way, I am pleased with the direction we are headed. Will it “shock the world” (lol) if Alto beats Garrison? Maybe for some. But we are Alto. Expectations remain high and we will do what we always do: play (and expect) to WIN. 

Go Jackets!

11 minutes ago, gator90 said:

Anybody know anything about Centerville?  I know Tenaha has a pretty good offense and a defense that might or might not show up.  Any thoughts on this game.

Tenaha should win comfortably if they are going to make a legit run at the region. Centerville is not the same centerville of the last decade or so.