2018-19 College Coaching Changes

Valhalla

If I was Baylor and I wanted a good coach who has proven he can turn a program into a winner, no big scandals that I know of and has Texas ties/ can recruit Texas, I’d have one guy in mind. This coach turned Eastern Illinois into a 12-2 FCS Quarterfinal team in his 2nd year as HC, took Bowling Green to 8 and 10 wins and a MAC Championship, then took Syracuse from 4 wins, 4 wins into a 10 win team that knocked off West Virginia in a bowl game....that’s right folks, I’m calling up Dino Babers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stoney said:

If I was Baylor and I wanted a good coach who has proven he can turn a program into a winner, no big scandals that I know of and has Texas ties/ can recruit Texas, I’d have one guy in mind. This coach turned Eastern Illinois into a 12-2 FCS Quarterfinal team in his 2nd year as HC, took Bowling Green to 8 and 10 wins and a MAC Championship, then took Syracuse from 4 wins, 4 wins into a 10 win team that knocked off West Virginia in a bowl game....that’s right folks, I’m calling up Dino Babers.

Is Baylor a better job than Syracuse?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Texas Tech fired a guy who was hired as an NFL head coach.

this move has been dogged left & right on TV as well, but so was the Rams coaching choice when they hired Sean McVay. who knows, maybe Kliff's program/style will fit better at the pro level...only time will tell. he was right around .500 overall which is very average of course but again, everyone thought the Rams were out of their mind.  

14 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Is Baylor a better job than Syracuse?

Baylor is really young... That would be the upside of that.  Syracuse is the #2 school in football right now in a very weak ACC... However, I expect UNC to be built back up in 3 years just bc of Mack Brown's recruiting.

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Speaking of... The Arizona Cardinals hired a guy who managed to run off 2 NFL QBs and almost kill Patrick Mahomes....

If I'm an NFL coach, I sign any QB he cuts.   :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stoney said:

If I’m the NFL I’m scheduling Cleveland/Arizona in a prime time matchup. Can you imagine that drama?

And then how awesome would it be if Arizona hired Hue Jackson as an assistant? 

Twitter might just self-destruct.  🔥

• LOL! 2

41 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Dan Enos to Miami for it's OC position. 

Reports: Alabama assistant Dan Enos expected to leave for different offensive coordinator position https://t.co/oo51asbXbK

That may be big in Jalen Hurts deciding where he goes, as well as interrupting the continuity we thought we were getting by having Enos take over as BAMA OC with Locksley leaving. With Josh Gattis taking the OC job at Michigan, and Butch Jones doing the same at Maryland, that makes at least 4 members of Saban’s 2018 staff that are either HC or OC elsewhere. Also, OL Coach Brent Key is leaving to go back to his alma mater, GaTech. Jones was just an “analyst”, but he may have been in line to move into an on-field position. But that leaves at least 4 open positions on the offensive staff. Looking at the talent level and the success of guys in Saban’s coaching tree, there will probably be no shortage of applicants. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

That may be big in Jalen Hurts deciding where he goes, as well as interrupting the continuity we thought we were getting by having Enos take over as BAMA OC with Locksley leaving. With Josh Gattis taking the OC job at Michigan, and Butch Jones doing the same at Maryland, that makes at least 4 members of Saban’s 2018 staff that are either HC or OC elsewhere. Also, OL Coach Brent Key is leaving to go back to his alma mater, GaTech. Jones was just an “analyst”, but he may have been in line to move into an on-field position. But that leaves at least 4 open positions on the offensive staff. Looking at the talent level and the success of guys in Saban’s coaching tree, there will probably be no shortage of applicants. 

yeah we can say they'll be no shortage of applicants but at some point the quality will not be the same and Saban becomes stretched thin in teaching the "Saban way" which was what people were always chomping at the bit to come learn. 

at the same time, it's been said over and over that in like 9 or 10 years Dabo has had like 3 total people leave his staff...because they somehow continue to find a way to $$ keep them and from a culture standpoint Saban/Swinney and in your business : Alabama/Clemson...Clemson is a better place to just live your life and coach and they're getting it done.

11 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

yeah we can say they'll be no shortage of applicants but at some point the quality will not be the same and Saban becomes stretched thin in teaching the "Saban way" which was what people were always chomping at the bit to come learn. 

at the same time, it's been said over and over that in like 9 or 10 years Dabo has had like 3 total people leave his staff...because they somehow continue to find a way to $$ keep them and from a culture standpoint Saban/Swinney and in your business : Alabama/Clemson...Clemson is a better place to just live your life and coach and they're getting it done.

I can’t argue with that. I’m sure Nick can be difficult to work for at times. Dabo seems to have built a program on the same level with a much different culture. Both have been successful. I agree that it will be difficult to find new assistants to replace the guys that are leaving. We’ll see what Nick comes up with. 

I was thinking BS to Alabama will falter and be a down team. Now, I'm not naive but I do think they may start to lose a game or two because let's face it...they have the tough SEC gauntlet and with Georgia up, Florida up, A&M up, Tennessee headed up, LSU up, Auburn never know...do they get tripped up with a blueprint being shown. Does Saban get tired now that he's having to re-show everything to a near full staff and teach "his way" / leadership style? That is what has been the thing that has made them the dynamo that they are. As we saw...he looked human...confused as to what to do early in the 2nd quarter in the NC game (made no changes and numerous bonehead mistakes) and that was with the current staff. 

12 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I was thinking BS to Alabama will falter and be a down team. Now, I'm not naive but I do think they may start to lose a game or two because let's face it...they have the tough SEC gauntlet and with Georgia up, Florida up, A&M up, Tennessee headed up, LSU up, Auburn never know...do they get tripped up with a blueprint being shown. Does Saban get tired now that he's having to re-show everything to a near full staff and teach "his way" / leadership style? That is what has been the thing that has made them the dynamo that they are. As we saw...he looked human...confused as to what to do early in the 2nd quarter in the NC game (made no changes and numerous bonehead mistakes) and that was with the current staff. 

It definitely makes for an uphill battle. As far as the game itself, I have some thoughts on how it got out of hand. To start with, on the defense getting torched the way it did. Nick is on record as saying he was really concerned about the ability of his secondary to defend Clemson’s passing game. He did not feel the matchups were in his favor, and he was proven right. That meant they were going to have to rely on the front 7 to get pressure on the QB and they never did. I think that led to the frustration. That strategy required a massive effort from the entire defensive line, and there were a couple of guys who didn’t give their best. DE Isaiah Buggs at times looked to be going half speed. I remember on Clemson’s 2nd TD, a run by Etienne, Buggs was the guy they left unblocked to get a 1-on-1 with for Etienne because of the speed advantage. Once the RB had him beaten to the corner, Buggs just quit. This was in the second quarter, with BAMA trying to get a stop and force a field goal to make it 10-7. Buggs didn’t make a single play the whole game. With OLB Christian Miller our, BAMA needed Buggs to have a big night to create room for Anfernee Jennings to get pressure. Another lackluster performance was S Deionte Thompson. He looked totally lost. On the play that set up the TD I just spoke of, BAMA had Clemson in 3rd and 14 deep in their territory. At this point, they had not made a play yet. A stop here gets the defense off the field with the score tied and gives the offense a chance to get on top and force Clemson to play from behind. Thompson got caught with his eyes in the backfield and let the WR run right by him for a 40+ yard completion that got Clemson rolling. That’s back to back plays of poor effort by two defensive leaders, and Nick saw it. That was just two examples that I saw during the broadcast. I’m sure it went much deeper than that. He hasn’t had a team quit on him like that in a long time. I think he was more bewildered by that than he was with what Clemson was doing. He knew how good they were. The offense pretty much stopped itself, which was also frustrating. On the third possession, we had 1st and goal inside the one, and had to settle for a FG due to a penalty and poor execution. As good as the opponent’s D-Line was, we needed our O-line to play near perfect. Instead, they got penalties and missed blocks, and the fact that we couldn’t stop their offense allowed Venables to get very aggressive with his pass rush packages. The result was a nightmare. As far as how does Nick move forward? I don’t have a clue. I’m sure he has some idea of where he will find his next OC, and will probably wait until he makes that hire to start filling out the rest of his staff. I will say this: IF he gets title #7 in ‘19, it will be the best job of coaching he’s done, and that’s saying a lot.