The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Valhalla

2018-19 College Coaching Changes

22 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

ha ha ha - what, he ate with the Auburn AD at Chick Fil A in Opelika, AL 🙄

Reminds me of the Baker Mayfield’s on campus? I don’t know who Baker Mayfield is? Answer from Big Game Bob. 

• Haha 2

you know old goofy Sonny Dykes is on the phone with Texas Tech trying convince them he's the 2nd coming of his dad and he's ready!!!

probably has been calling the AD every hour on the hour...

E611807F-B447-4B91-959F-BE2C5E14A5CE.png

What a group to choose from. Briles a couple years removed from the Baylor scandal getting a crack at his first job. First one for Spav too I’d guess. Longo had a fun offense at Ole Miss. I wouldn’t leave if I were them until I made sure the check cleared.

Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson is retiring, per @JeffSchultzATL: https://t.co/K0HgB4FJ1h https://t.co/vt1L276QOD

Wow

4 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson is retiring, per @JeffSchultzATL: https://t.co/K0HgB4FJ1h https://t.co/vt1L276QOD

Wow

Johnson was a good coach. I guess that just leaves the Navy coach as the last true triple option offense in FBS?

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Johnson was a good coach. I guess that just leaves the Navy coach as the last true triple option offense in FBS?

Wow, being in that Atlanta metro area to recruit...it will draw a crowd I bet...the idea they could change things

• Like 1

Spavital to Texas State

Kendall Briles leveraged the Bobcats interest into a raise/extension at Houston...

10 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Spavital to Texas State

Kendall Briles leveraged the Bobcats interest into a raise/extension at Houston...

uh, he'll be a hot commodity and will be a HC very soon if not this year at a G5 if not small P5

2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Wow

Ken Whisenhunt and Army coach Jeff Monken are top candidates. Monken would be a far better candidate. He runs the flexbone and brought Army to bowl eligible again

38 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Spavital to Texas State

Spav was probably the safest choice out of the three. No drama unless you count his boneheaded play calling at A&M. Knows the state. Young and a attack offense. Can you win at a school that’s commitment to the bottom line is higher than the will to win? We’ll see.

2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Used to go to church with him when he was at Navy. Good guy, great family. Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't retired sooner. 

• Like 1

Whoever take the GT job better make sure they get as many years as possible because it will take a few cycles to get that offensive personnel changed. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Whoever take the GT job better make sure they get as many years as possible because it will take a few cycles to get that offensive personnel changed. 

Yeah...  most of the GT fans I'm seeing are hoping they hire another triple-option guy.  

Jeff Brohm is staying at Purdue per YahooSports. 

I figured he wanted no part of that dumpster fire. 

15 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Jeff Brohm is staying at Purdue per YahooSports. 

I figured he wanted no part of that dumpster fire. 

Smart IMO.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AKA said:

Yeah...  most of the GT fans I'm seeing are hoping they hire another triple-option guy.  

I think that is nuts! There is a total ceiling to any team in this day and age that plays that style...athletes on defense at a top notch program WILL cover it...you will not out scheme or trick them for an entire game (a couple series...a quarter maybe)...you gonna try and grind out against a high powered spread? Oklahoma with their whack defense in a brain warp even got it together against Army to win in their worst game ever. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, topher805 said:

Just saw where Tim Brewster is off to join Mack at UNC

that hire may hurt A&M's recruiting...he was the lynchpin in all the big time recruiting Texas did back in the day...getting Vince Young to sign along with quite a few other of the very best off the all-time teams.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I think that is nuts! There is a total ceiling to any team in this day and age that plays that style...athletes on defense at a top notch program WILL cover it...you will not out scheme or trick them for an entire game (a couple series...a quarter maybe)...you gonna try and grind out against a high powered spread? Oklahoma with their whack defense in a brain warp even got it together against Army to win in their worst game ever. 

Same... 

Yeah, I'm no expert, but I don't see why the new GT guy (whoever he is) couldn't just adapt the flexbone triple-option personnel into the kind of spread option that many college teams use. Yeah, there's gonna be a growing curve, but it ain't rocket surgery. At the end of the day it's still blocking and tackling. 

54 minutes ago, AKA said:

Same... 

Yeah, I'm no expert, but I don't see why the new GT guy (whoever he is) couldn't just adapt the flexbone triple-option personnel into the kind of spread option that many college teams use. Yeah, there's gonna be a growing curve, but it ain't rocket surgery. At the end of the day it's still blocking and tackling. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing the “Pistol option” come to Atlanta.  Most of you should understand that term and what it could do...  essentially backing up the QB 2-3 yards to run the same offense might draw in some more recruits... taking the option to the pistol also opens up easier pass options.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing the “Pistol option” come to Atlanta.  Most of you should understand that term and what it could do...  essentially backing up the QB 2-3 yards to run the same offense might draw in some more recruits... taking the option to the pistol also opens up easier pass options.

I was hoping to see more of that from my alma mater this year. Yeah yeah, probably sounds greedy considering our level of production this year, but I just think the Pistol is cool, and the Diamond backfield too. 

Oh well.