2018-19 College Coaching Changes

Valhalla

9 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

That came from out of nowhere

They were waiting on him to get done with the SEC Championship game before he interviewed. Based on what I had read, he was the front runner from the start. They passed on Locksley when they hired Durkin. He has had two separate stints at UM. Once as a recruiter/ WR coach, once as OC. He also served as interim HC before the Durkin hire. No word yet on whether or not he will stay at BAMA through the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

They were waiting on him to get done with the SEC Championship game before he interviewed. Based on what I had read, he was the front runner from the start. They passed on Locksley when they hired Durkin. He has had two separate stints at UM. Once as a recruiter/ WR coach, once as OC. He also served as interim HC before the Durkin hire. No word yet on whether or not he will stay at BAMA through the playoffs. 

OU has backed off on Golding for now. Neither side likes the optics of negotiating employment while preparing to face each other.

The scuttlebutt is that Saban is pushing hard to keep Golding. I don't buy that. Saban could have Doomer and Stoney as defensive coordinators and 'Bama wouldn't miss a step. 

So, how many of y'all were so totally NOT surprised by yesterday's announcement in the AM about Urban Meyer not coming back to Ohio State and "retiring" from coaching?

Health reasons? The brain cyst he's referred to since the Smith debacle before the season. I think shortly after the bowl game ends and his office is packed up and he's home, it'll be announced (maybe shortly before the summer)...we'll hear of a miracle or a terrible misdiagnosis that any doctor could have been tricked by because Meyer had something wacky in his near bionic metabolism where he needs supplements to help him and now he'll be healthy and ready to go again in coaching. He'll work for ESPN for next year and getting hired by someone shortly after the season ends (possibly Florida State after they become worn with Willie Taggart within 2 years). He could go back to lead them greatness...

Does butthurtness count as a life threatening illness - after he was butt hurt from Ohio State not backing him earlier this year and him being furious from it?

^ Heres my take on Urban. His health gets bad at Florida and he bails. Then low and behold, all these accounts of player wrongdoing on his time come out but nothing gets pinned on him. The heat cools off, he takes over Ohio State. Same thing happens except this time, he’s still coaching when the poo hits the fan. Then his health concerns conveniently pop up again. Too much coincidence on two accounts for my taste.

55 minutes ago, Stoney said:

^ Heres my take on Urban. His health gets bad at Florida and he bails. Then low and behold, all these accounts of player wrongdoing on his time come out but nothing gets pinned on him. The heat cools off, he takes over Ohio State. Same thing happens except this time, he’s still coaching when the poo hits the fan. Then his health concerns conveniently pop up again. Too much coincidence on two accounts for my taste.

yep, I told my wife as soon the first report came down about Zach Smith...he'd get an illness and retire then comeback somewhere big in a year.

42 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

yep, I told my wife as soon the first report came down about Zach Smith...he'd get an illness and retire then comeback somewhere big in a year.

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

The whole Zach Smith thing was foolish anyway.  He didn’t do anything wrong, BUT he lied about his knowledge of it.  Why did he lie?  Because it’s what he does best

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Losing a very good coach and an excellent recruiter. Hate too see him go for selfish reasons but hope the best for him!

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Haven't seen that. I know a lot of people are surprised he got the job. He is pretty disliked at USF right now and a big reason for their 5-game slide 

I remember when he was offered the UT job but wouldn’t leave Tulsa unless the OL coach came with him. Rumor was that the OL coach was more of the brains than the OC was.