State Championship Coaches

justafan

12 hours ago, justafan said:

The guy at Harelton-Ward. How has he done there?  I doubt Surratt or keeling would leave there places. 

Harleton has gone 6-6,2-8,1-9,1-9 under ward is what i was told. Many factors go into a won-lost record, offense,defense, assistants, who calls plays, and athletes for sure. Cant blame it all on the head coach.

15 minutes ago, Destry said:

Harleton has gone 6-6,2-8,1-9,1-9 under ward is what i was told. Many factors go into a won-lost record, offense,defense, assistants, who calls plays, and athletes for sure. Cant blame it all on the head coach.

The same can be said for winning championships also. Either way the head man is accountable for it, that's why they pay them the most.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 8:36 PM, justafan said:

I doubt Surratt or keeling would leave there places. 

I keep hoping SFA makes a run at Surratt this offseason. Word is they have reached out to Traylor, but my hopes aren't too high for that one...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I keep hoping SFA makes a run at Surratt this offseason. Word is they have reached out to Traylor, but my hopes aren't too high for that one...

You Lumberjacks just keep steppin’ to the next guy. We don’t want SFA trying to jack up what we’ve got going on at #1 Bulldog Drive. 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, whynotgoforit said:

The coach that took New Diana 4 rounds deep 2017 won 5 states championships as an assistant other places. He left the state and may be willing to come back to TX if the price is right. I've heard people say they great things about him.

i guess he didn't enjoy that 0-10 season in Monticello?

12 hours ago, topher805 said:

If they are going to go the High School coach route, there is none better in East Texas than Scott. I think his coaching style and proclivity on both sides of the ball would translate well to the FCS level. And we all know he would recruit well.

Not sure Traylor is leaving Arkansas right now. I think he has his sights set on bigger and better things.

26 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

If they are going to go the High School coach route, there is none better in East Texas than Scott. I think his coaching style and proclivity on both sides of the ball would translate well to the FCS level. And we all know he would recruit well.

Not sure Traylor is leaving Arkansas right now. I think he has his sights set on bigger and better things.

I agree on Traylor, but if he is willing to listen, I think it wouldn't hurt to try...

Surratt is actually my favorite candidate out there for the job. I know people like Whitten (Tarleton), Carthel (A&M-Commerce), Harrell (UNT), but I really like the east Texas flair and his resume. His name carries a lot of weight in east Texas, and he could kill it on the recruiting trail. 

3 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I agree on Traylor, but if he is willing to listen, I think it wouldn't hurt to try...

Surratt is actually my favorite candidate out there for the job. I know people like Whitten (Tarleton), Carthel (A&M-Commerce), Harrell (UNT), but I really like the east Texas flair and his resume. His name carries a lot of weight in east Texas, and he could kill it on the recruiting trail. 

Only people that want to play at SFA are the ones not good enough for the bigger schools, I doubt its that hard to recruit the kids when SFA is the only offer they are getting 

11 minutes ago, bearnation said:

Only people that want to play at SFA are the ones not good enough for the bigger schools, I doubt its that hard to recruit the kids when SFA is the only offer they are getting 

You are probably not going to get any FBS kids to go to SFA, but you are not competing against those schools.

You are competing aginst Sam Houston, McNeese State, Nicholls, Lamar, and Lousiana Tech and Southern Arkansas to a lesser extent.

If you have great East Texas ties (to High School Coaches) then you should be able to get some of these kids to come to SFA (they do in Basketball).

It only takes one or two great recruiting classes and some success on the field to turn the tide. You start beating Sam on a regular basis and you are ahead of the game.

You can win a FCS National Championship at SFA if you do it right.

Now with that being said, we all have to realize the new Athletic Director at SFA came from TAMU-Commerce.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

You are probably not going to get any FBS kids to go to SFA, but you are not competing against those schools.

You are competing aginst Sam Houston, McNeese State, Nicholls, Lamar, and Lousiana Tech and Southern Arkansas to a lesser extent.

If you have great East Texas ties (to High School Coaches) then you should be able to get some of these kids to come to SFA (they do in Basketball).

It only takes one or two great recruiting classes and some success on the field to turn the tide. You start beating Sam on a regular basis and you are ahead of the game.

You can win a FCS National Championship at SFA if you do it right.

Now with that being said, we all have to realize the new Athletic Director at SFA came from TAMU-Commerce.

When you look at SFA's roster, they have about 10 local kids and the rest are nearly all from Houston and Dallas.  The locals on the roster are mainly kids that have transferred back.  I've heard rumors that they don't like recruiting local talent for some reason.  I've always believed that you could put a heckuva team together recruiting players in the area between Tyler and Lufkin.  The lack of East Texas players and SFA's lack of success has killed interest in the program.  What they are doing now isn't working, let's try something different.

• Like 1