State Championship Coaches

justafan

18 hours ago, hunter92 said:

When you look at SFA's roster, they have about 10 local kids and the rest are nearly all from Houston and Dallas.  The locals on the roster are mainly kids that have transferred back.  I've heard rumors that they don't like recruiting local talent for some reason.  I've always believed that you could put a heckuva team together recruiting players in the area between Tyler and Lufkin.  The lack of East Texas players and SFA's lack of success has killed interest in the program.  What they are doing now isn't working, let's try something different.

Oh, I agree with you completely.

I see it is a lack of confidence by the coaches in their own ability to evaluate talent.

A classic case is Jabar Williams from Garrison. A small town player, but he could flat out play. He went to SFA and had a great career. If you recruit East Texas and can evaluate talent, then you can find players that can play. Put these kids in a competitive environment where they have to fight everyday for reps and playing time and you will put a team on the field that can win.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, SAWolfman said:

Would have to be a heck of a salary to move to BFE...

most of the guys that have won state championships out here have worked to "build something"...they've gone over the bumps and bridges already and know the hills and valleys that their communities "provide"...they already have that support. 

like Jeff Traylor when at Gilmer, he had it built and had the TOTAL buy-in from the community...he made more money through the little extras and help PLUS a giant salary...it doesn't matter...a college job was the only thing that would drag him away. 

if you get a small town guy that wants to build a winner and change a town and the way kids and people think, then you aren't looking to jump around.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:49 PM, topher805 said:

I keep hoping SFA makes a run at Surratt this offseason. Word is they have reached out to Traylor, but my hopes aren't too high for that one...

since Traylor went to school and played there...that wouldn't surprise me. if they could get up in the $650k-$1mill a year range, to start then I'd think he'd do it, but that may be way outta the SFA pay scale. 

otherwise, I think Jeff holds out for the smaller head coach D1 position (group of 5) to start...one of the Texas schools. how long will UTEP continue in their direction? Texas State had interviewed him before and he was a finalist (they are disappointing)? I think he'd be a great option for a Texas school because of the recruiting that he does.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

since Traylor went to school and played there...that wouldn't surprise me. if they could get up in the $650k-$1mill a year range, to start then I'd think he'd do it, but that may be way outta the SFA pay scale. 

otherwise, I think Jeff holds out for the smaller head coach D1 position (group of 5) to start...one of the Texas schools. how long will UTEP continue in their direction? Texas State had interviewed him before and he was a finalist (they are disappointing)? I think he'd be a great option for a Texas school because of the recruiting that he does.

Yeah...SFA isn't paying $650k-$1 million...Closer to $250-$300k

4 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Yeah...SFA isn't paying $650k-$1 million...Closer to $250-$300k

doubt he's taking a pay cut to go there from Arkansas...and he's making more now. he will have bigger opportunities soon enough.

I couldn't see him going anywhere to be HC on the college level where he couldn't make a substantial salary, plus being able to bring in HIS staff (son Jordan Traylor; nephew Colton Bunn-Traylor; brother Kurt Traylor if he wants to leave Tyler Lee and come too; along with former QB GJ Kinne)...and be able to pay those guys decently as assistants to not be at other schools or in HS as head coaches/AD's.   

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Oh, I agree with you completely.

I see it is a lack of confidence by the coaches in their own ability to evaluate talent.

A classic case is Jabar Williams from Garrison. A small town player, but he could flat out play. He went to SFA and had a great career. If you recruit East Texas and can evaluate talent, then you can find players that can play. Put these kids in a competitive environment where they have to fight everyday for reps and playing time and you will put a team on the field that can win.

There are a bunch of examples of local talent playing big for SFA.  Larry Centers (Tatum),  Curtis James (Garrison), Jeremiah Trotter (Hooks), Dominique Edison (San Augustine),  right now SFA has Terian Goree from Carthage.  Had too many good players to name from the Tyler area.  It just seems like they won't recruit the locals, they have to walk on and prove themselves.  If the coaches can't evaluate talent, we need some other coaches. 

It just seems like a waste of time to me.  People in East Texas are football crazy and SFA plays in front of 4,000 people on Saturday, 3/4 are students.  Let Lufkin and Longview play at their stadium and folks will have the stands full and be sitting on the grass.

2 minutes ago, hunter92 said:

There are a bunch of examples of local talent playing big for SFA.  Larry Centers (Tatum),  Curtis James (Garrison), Jeremiah Trotter (Hooks), Dominique Edison (San Augustine),  right now SFA has Terian Goree from Carthage.  Had too many good players to name from the Tyler area.  It just seems like they won't recruit the locals, they have to walk on and prove themselves.  If the coaches can't evaluate talent, we need some other coaches. 

It just seems like a waste of time to me.  People in East Texas are football crazy and SFA plays in front of 4,000 people on Saturday, 3/4 are students.  Let Lufkin and Longview play at their stadium and folks will have the stands full and be sitting on the grass.

Yep, pretty stupid to not recruit local talent. If you recruit these Studs out of the smaller schools the fans will flock to SFA to watch them.

3 hours ago, hunter92 said:

They sought after Q Borders from SA last year.  You can tell they didn't want him getting hurt because his play lacked.  Believe he even quit the basketball team!

On 11/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, whynotgoforit said:

The coach that took New Diana 4 rounds deep 2017 won 5 states championships as an assistant other places. He left the state and may be willing to come back to TX if the price is right. I've heard people say they great things about him.

I doubt it. He went to Arkansas to be closer to his family. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:57 PM, hunter92 said:

When you look at SFA's roster, they have about 10 local kids and the rest are nearly all from Houston and Dallas.  The locals on the roster are mainly kids that have transferred back.  I've heard rumors that they don't like recruiting local talent for some reason.  I've always believed that you could put a heckuva team together recruiting players in the area between Tyler and Lufkin.  The lack of East Texas players and SFA's lack of success has killed interest in the program.  What they are doing now isn't working, let's try something different.

Totally agree.

Do not leave David Whitmore's , DF, name off your SFA list . All American and started for San Francisco.  Was included in the Joe Montana trade to Kansas City. His niece, Stephanie,  was also a star on the Lady Jacks basketball team.

3 hours ago, BunzT said:

Do not leave David Whitmore's , DF, name off your SFA list . All American and started for San Francisco.  Was included in the Joe Montana trade to Kansas City. His niece, Stephanie,  was also a star on the Lady Jacks basketball team.

I knew I didn’t name them all.  He was a great player!  There was a linebacker from Chapel Hill that was a beast.  I think his name is Willie Mitchell.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, topher805 said:

I agree on Traylor, but if he is willing to listen, I think it wouldn't hurt to try...

Surratt is actually my favorite candidate out there for the job. I know people like Whitten (Tarleton), Carthel (A&M-Commerce), Harrell (UNT), but I really like the east Texas flair and his resume. His name carries a lot of weight in east Texas, and he could kill it on the recruiting trail. 

I am not sure that Todd Whitten would be interested in the job even though he is an alumni of SFA.  He currently has a situation where the new facilities will be better than SFA, when completed and has full support from Coach Riesman the AD.  Tarleton is growing by leaps and bounds in student enrollment and are looking to make the jump to FCS, that is why SFA was on the schedule this year and next season.  This seasons game was cancelled due to inclement weather.  Coach Whitten knows of the talent rich East Texas players and made a 2 day trip here last year, signing a LB from Carthage. My son plays for Todd and he is an old school players coach, and if interested would definitely turn the SFA program around.

23 hours ago, hunter92 said:

Jabarah Williams (sp) and Curtis James both had to walk on their first season, a joke!  Conque talked out of both sides of his mouth to area recruits, which I personally witnessed with my own son. I will not list schools, but know of current east texas high school coaches that do not want them, (SFA) to recruit their players because of how they misrepresented the scholarship they would receive.  SFA is their own worst enemy an I voiced my concerns face to face with Conque when he got the job, in one ear and out the other. See where they are now!

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, justafan said:

Football. I’ve got a buddy of mine that is a supt in West Texas that is compiling a list of guys to contact about his football job. Just curious. 

Just how far west is this job?  I have information on a job (4A DI) that will be open after the season is complete, way out west.

19 hours ago, hunter92 said:

I knew I didn’t name them all.  He was a great player!  There was a linebacker from Chapel Hill that was a beast.  I think his name is Willie Mitchell.

Tyler Boyd, DF,   also. Little item on his resume called 3 straight State Titles.