Jeff Traylor

justafan

2 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

some of these names just crack me up...so unrealistic!

Harrell and Enos are the crazy ones to me. Carthel, Surratt, Whitten, are very realistic. Luper is an alumni...Don't know where Moore and Bell came from on the wish list

43 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

He'd make it like "The U", no kid would get out of Dallas area without getting recruited to SMU...build a moat around DFW. Draw in all of East Texas' best! Soon you are like the Pony Express again, except run and gun!

If he could get SMU and pull together a couple of 7 win seasons and offer EVERY DFW recruit worth offering, some of those kids would stick...  Then all he has to do is mosey over to Carthage and Gilmer and Henderson and Marshall and Longview and make his pitch for the best... 

I know I made that sound easier than it is, but if you recruit hard enough in the right places, SMU could be like Houston and TCU (pre-B12) and be a program that you expect to win at.  

• Like 1

Enos definitely and possibly Harrell (because of his years in college) make Traylor money...they aren't going down to Nacogdoches to eat Golden Corral when they bring in recruits...way to sell it. "Hey guys, Lufkin is close by...and we got all kinds of HS girls you can be a hero to in the Nac and Lufkin areas and pedo on...come play for us!" 

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Traylor is associate HC at Arkansas. Do you do that a couple more years and then take a non Power 5 job, possibly a low to mid tier Power 5 school? Do you take the FCS route for the same possible result? 

Traylor would crush it at SFA. With his East Texas ties he could build a pretty darn good roster. Finances is another thing like Y’all mentioned. Do you take the pay cut to accelerate your shot at a high paying D1 HC job? Or do you stay on the path your on now?

I would think he would have to be a OC somewhere before a Non power 5 FBS school would offer him a job. He has a thin College resume (although a good recruiter). If his goal is to be HC, an FCS school that can be turned around quickly would be a good move. 

he would have left Morris' staff to be offensive coordinator at another large school this time around had the title of Asst Head Coach not been retained like before at SMU...there has to be more to what's going on up there because there was opportunity. he must see a vision for himself on the horizon...

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Enos definitely and possibly Harrell (because of his years in college) make Traylor money...they aren't going down to Nacogdoches to eat Golden Corral when they bring in recruits...way to sell it. "Hey guys, Lufkin is close by...and we got all kinds of HS girls you can be a hero to in the Nac and Lufkin areas and pedo on...come play for us!" 

Golden Corral? Who do you think we are?

The man will be well fed between Clear Springs and Butcher Boys...

44 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Enos is on the short list for the Kansas job. 

When Incarnate Word got Morris, I think it raised expectations on who we could attempt to hire. If UIW can get the OC from a P5 team (Tech), then why can't we chase a RB or QB Coach from a SEC squad...The next guy for SFA needs to have STRONG east Texas ties. 

It's no secret SFA prefers to spend money in their basketball program right now. They're winning and making money and bringing a lot of positive attention to the university. Other programs aren't. Football starts winning and I'm sure more money will be spent there as well.

16 hours ago, topher805 said:

Golden Corral? Who do you think we are?

The man will be well fed between Clear Springs and Butcher Boys...

did I hear you say you guys would dress up and take him to the deli at Brookshires or to the school cafeteria (with some streamers hung up for decoration, of course)???

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

When Incarnate Word got Morris, I think it raised expectations on who we could attempt to hire. If UIW can get the OC from a P5 team (Tech), then why can't we chase a RB or QB Coach from a SEC squad...The next guy for SFA needs to have STRONG east Texas ties. 

It's no secret SFA prefers to spend money in their basketball program right now. They're winning and making money and bringing a lot of positive attention to the university. Other programs aren't. Football starts winning and I'm sure more money will be spent there as well.

making money? how many people come to a home Jacks basketball game? 1000? how many pay? 250-300 at $2 to $3, if that? I worked in higher ed, so I know how many get into b-ball games free...few pay. outside the big boys, few pay for the games period. you have passes, and alumni passes, recruits and guests, students passes/free tickets, free tickets for employees/staff many times. 

how much are your nachos? $75

y'all selling lots of beer at the game to students?

18 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

making money? how many people come to a home Jacks basketball game? 1000? how many pay? 250-300 at $2 to $3, if that? I worked in higher ed, so I know how many get into b-ball games free...few pay. outside the big boys, few pay for the games period. you have passes, and alumni passes, recruits and guests, students passes/free tickets, free tickets for employees/staff many times. 

how much are your nachos? $75

y'all selling lots of beer at the game to students?

Actually average around 4,000 a game and probably going up this year. 

25 minutes ago, TxFight said:

Don't forget the guaranteed season ticket money...Also moved to Dynamic Ticket Pricing this year...Not to mention tournament money from last year, and hopefully we can get more this year. The only way football is making money is the buy game against Mississippi State this year, or Baylor next year, or SMU the next, etc...

M/W | Tier Number | Reserved Rows A-F/Reserved Rows G-M/Reserved Rows N-Z & General Admission
Men's Basketball | Tier One | $30/$25/$20 
12/30/18 | Alabama
3/9/18 | Sam Houston State (DH with women's basketball)

Men's Basketball | Tier Two | $22/$17/$12
11/20 | Marist
12/7 | Louisiana Tech
1/12 | Northwestern State (DH with women's basketball)
1/23 | Abilene Christian
1/30 | Central Arkansas
2/9 | Lamar (DH with women's basketball)
2/23 | Incarnate Word (DH with women's basketball)

Men's Basketball | Tier Three | $15/$10/$8
11/8 | Southwestern Assemblies of God
12/21 | Arlington Baptist
1/2 | Southeastern Louisiana
2/13 | McNeese
2/20 | Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

59 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

did I hear you say you guys would dress up and take him to the deli at Brookshires or to the school cafeteria (with some streamers hung up for decoration, of course)???

Ssshhhhh...Nobody knew about the streamers! Now we gotta go all out and splurge on some balloons from Dollar Tree...

• LOL! 1

29 minutes ago, TxFight said:

Min Attendance / Max Attendance / Average...so yep, I'm actually shocked. 

SF Austin Johnson Coliseum 2912 7023 4499 5 No.

SF Austin William R. Johnson Coliseum 1691 7081 3484 12 No.

General Admission Adult - $12
General Admission Child (Ages 8-18) - $7
General Admission Faculty/Staff with ID - $7
General Admission SFA Students - FREE with SFA validated ID
General Admission Children 8 and under - FREE

this isn't going to add up to a lot of money, but again it's much more than I would have expected from SFA...I can't believe they can change $12 for tickets at the window or charge faculty/staff (when you want and need them to support your student-athletes). I have a feeling most people have season tickets...they were cheap as heck.

11 hours ago, topher805 said:

Not my money!  The football and baseball programs are in shambles, and it is their own arrogance that caused it.

23 hours ago, topher805 said:

Morris has been a heck of a hire at UIW. Beat Sam and SFA and are tied for first in Conference. If SFA is not committed to Football like you say and prefers Basketball, none of these Coaches will make a difference. 

10 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Morris has been a heck of a hire at UIW. Beat Sam and SFA and are tied for first in Conference. If SFA is not committed to Football like you say and prefers Basketball, none of these Coaches will make a difference. 

Ivey is committed to all sports being successful and that is his goal. The school is just getting what they can while they can off the basketball program. This might be a good cycle and it does down after another year or two, or this is the beginning of a mid-major power. Either way, it would be foolish of the athletic department to not cash in on this opportunity. 

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

Ivey is committed to all sports being successful and that is his goal. The school is just getting what they can while they can off the basketball program. This might be a good cycle and it does down after another year or two, or this is the beginning of a mid-major power. Either way, it would be foolish of the athletic department to not cash in on this opportunity. 

One person being committed will not turn this situation around. It still befuddles me why SFA wants to stay "Independent", joining one of the larger systems would benefit the school tremendously in all areas of operations. I know that Tarleton State receives a kickback between $600,000 to $800,000 every year from Texas A&M. This time next year Tarleton will surpass SFA in enrollment and have newer nicer facilities.  It is hard for me to support my alma mater when it has digressed to this point 30 years after being a student/athlete there.  I bought my Lifetime Alumni Membership upon graduation, but beyond that I am not willing to stand up and be proud of what they are today.

1 hour ago, sawboss said:

One person being committed will not turn this situation around. It still befuddles me why SFA wants to stay "Independent", joining one of the larger systems would benefit the school tremendously in all areas of operations. I know that Tarleton State receives a kickback between $600,000 to $800,000 every year from Texas A&M. This time next year Tarleton will surpass SFA in enrollment and have newer nicer facilities.  It is hard for me to support my alma mater when it has digressed to this point 30 years after being a student/athlete there.  I bought my Lifetime Alumni Membership upon graduation, but beyond that I am not willing to stand up and be proud of what they are today.

The thing with Ivey is he is getting the community involved and buying in. He is already working on upgrades, and seems to have a plan in place to possibly renovate Homer Bryce. He has some big guys that have disappeared from the program in recent years coming back. Also keep in mind, there are only two sports that are really struggling at SFA right now. Football and baseball. Every other sport is among the elite in the SLC. 

As for university growth, that comes down to the President and the Board. Baker Patillo has done amazing things for the university, but it is time to retire. He is on an indefinite medical leave right now, and I believe it will be made a full retirement eventually. New blood with a new vision to grow the university more is needed. I think it is coming and started with the new STEM building. I think the next part will be the addition of an engineering school. Too much history in east Texas, and demand for engineers for us to not offer a degree. I think it could be a huge boost to the university.

There has been rumblings of joining a system, or teaming up with some other schools about creating a new system. I remember hearing about joining one a little while back, but I believe that deal fell through. 

12 minutes ago, topher805 said:

The thing with Ivey is he is getting the community involved and buying in. He is already working on upgrades, and seems to have a plan in place to possibly renovate Homer Bryce. He has some big guys that have disappeared from the program in recent years coming back. Also keep in mind, there are only two sports that are really struggling at SFA right now. Football and baseball. Every other sport is among the elite in the SLC. 

As for university growth, that comes down to the President and the Board. Baker Patillo has done amazing things for the university, but it is time to retire. He is on an indefinite medical leave right now, and I believe it will be made a full retirement eventually. New blood with a new vision to grow the university more is needed. I think it is coming and started with the new STEM building. I think the next part will be the addition of an engineering school. Too much history in east Texas, and demand for engineers for us to not offer a degree. I think it could be a huge boost to the university.

There has been rumblings of joining a system, or teaming up with some other schools about creating a new system. I remember hearing about joining one a little while back, but I believe that deal fell through. 

Topher,  I understand what you are saying and agree with some of it. As I stated earlier I am an alumni and have lived in Nacogdoches for 30 years but the arrogance and poor decision making should have never let the school drop this far behind. I hope they can turn it around, but it will be an uphill battle as long as they are happy with the status quo. I know I am partial in my thinking about Tarleton, because my son plays there, but it is amazing what they have done in the four years he has been there.  Stephenville is all about their public schools and their college and the way they work together is outstanding.  Thanks for your insight on SFA, but I am not happy with what it has become.

7 minutes ago, sawboss said:

Topher,  I understand what you are saying and agree with some of it. As I stated earlier I am an alumni and have lived in Nacogdoches for 30 years but the arrogance and poor decision making should have never let the school drop this far behind. I hope they can turn it around, but it will be an uphill battle as long as they are happy with the status quo. I know I am partial in my thinking about Tarleton, because my son plays there, but it is amazing what they have done in the four years he has been there.  Stephenville is all about their public schools and their college and the way they work together is outstanding.  Thanks for your insight on SFA, but I am not happy with what it has become.

I can understand your pride for Tarleton. For a lot of us alumni, they are what we could and should be. Not only that, but are a model that we need to look into following. However, as a Nac resident, I'm sure you have noticed the disconnect between the university and the city. Most residents seem to resent the students it feels like, maybe something to do with the lingering party image from years ago. There is something that needs to be done to help bring the two together, and when that happens, I think SFA will take a huge step forward into becoming the university you will become happy to be associated with again. 

32 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I can understand your pride for Tarleton. For a lot of us alumni, they are what we could and should be. Not only that, but are a model that we need to look into following. However, as a Nac resident, I'm sure you have noticed the disconnect between the university and the city. Most residents seem to resent the students it feels like, maybe something to do with the lingering party image from years ago. There is something that needs to be done to help bring the two together, and when that happens, I think SFA will take a huge step forward into becoming the university you will become happy to be associated with again. 

I think you are right about the attitude of residents towards students, and the attitude of a lot of the students are the same towards the residents. My major concern for the football end is finding someone that will be honest and forthright with the area high school coaches to establish a rapport and utilize local talent. I currently scout for Tarleton in East Texas at the smaller school classification to compose a list of players for them to evaluate and recruit if they see fit.  I want the SFA attitude to change from oh they are small school kids and do not fit the "DI Prototype" and we can get them to walk-on with a "Preferred Invitation" because we are SFA and they will come here anyway.  Thanks again for listening, but I still have some old wounds, or as many would say on here "I am just butthurt"!  Have a great day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sawboss said:

Tarleton is Division 2. Hopefully, as an Alum you have bigger expectations than comparing SFA to Tarleton State. Wow. They need to act like a Division 1 program, not D2.