Jeff Traylor

justafan

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, eagle34 said:

Tarleton is Division 2. Hopefully, as an Alum you have bigger expectations than comparing SFA to Tarleton State. Wow. They need to act like a Division 1 program, not D2.

They will be Division 1 soon enough, but does not matter SFA can still not compare to the path Tarleton is taking for the future.

2 hours ago, sawboss said:

They will be Division 1 soon enough, but does not matter SFA can still not compare to the path Tarleton is taking for the future.

That's pretty sad. Hopefully,  they can get someone in there that can recruit better and get the Program turned around. 

1 minute ago, eagle34 said:

That's pretty sad. Hopefully,  they can get someone in there that can recruit better and get the Program turned around. 

Some of the guys on their list are DII coaches, so who knows. I know that Tarleton could not of won the Southland this year due to the toughness of that league, but I also do not think SFA could have won the Lone Star.  Many of these DII schools have benefitted greatly by being affiliated with large DI systems, and SFA board of regents and administration need to take a serious look at doing the same.  Thanks for your input always two sides to every situation.

You are probably right about SFA not winning the Lone Star. That's how far they have fallen. These D2 Programs may have benefited from being affiliated with larger university systems (Look what it's done for A&M Commerce), but it's still D2 athletes that weren't good enough to play D1 ball. Tarleton and A&M Commerce could probably give SFA all they want this year, which speaks to how far the Program has fallen. My son just finished playing 4 years at UIW in the Southland conference. Their best finish was 4th in the Conference. This year they hired a young, up and coming Coach from Texas Tech and they finished first in the Southland. It can happen, if you get the right hire. 

19 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

You are probably right about SFA not winning the Lone Star. That's how far they have fallen. These D2 Programs may have benefited from being affiliated with larger university systems (Look what it's done for A&M Commerce), but it's still D2 athletes that weren't good enough to play D1 ball. Tarleton and A&M Commerce could probably give SFA all they want this year, which speaks to how far the Program has fallen. My son just finished playing 4 years at UIW in the Southland conference. Their best finish was 4th in the Conference. This year they hired a young, up and coming Coach from Texas Tech and they finished first in the Southland. It can happen, if you get the right hire. 

In the case of DII athletes not being good enough to play DI, that was probably the case with my son, but look at their rosters and see how many have transferred out of DI schools way bigger than SFA.  A&M Commerce loaded the boat a couple of seasons back with UT kids and others. I know there are underlying issues with grades and off-field issues, but DII is loaded with DI talent.  I am happy my son reached his goal at a place he is proud to be a part of: a gold college ring signifying he will graduate and a conference championship ring signifying he was part of something bigger than himself.  In the end like the commercial says most of the athletes will go pro in something other than the sport they played!  Have a great day and thanks for sharing.

1 minute ago, sawboss said:

In the case of DII athletes not being good enough to play DI, that was probably the case with my son, but look at their rosters and see how many have transferred out of DI schools way bigger than SFA.  A&M Commerce loaded the boat a couple of seasons back with UT kids and others. I know there are underlying issues with grades and off-field issues, but DII is loaded with DI talent.  I am happy my son reached his goal at a place he is proud to be a part of: a gold college ring signifying he will graduate and a conference championship ring signifying he was part of something bigger than himself.  In the end like the commercial says most of the athletes will go pro in something other than the sport they played!  Have a great day and thanks for sharing.

Agreed. Congratulations to your Son. That's awesome! Being talented enough to play College ball is an accomplishment that not too many kids get to achieve. Mine got the gold ring for graduating and finished one year too early to get the Championship ring. I wish your Alma mater luck. Hope they go get someone like Jeff Traylor to turn the program around.